Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Challenge

Options
  • 15-08-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I've heard a lot of conflicting views on how hard this is going to be, so I just want to ask the question; how hard is this going to be?

If you could put the climbs in context (ie rate them against some climbs I'd know, like Howth Head / Devils elbow or any of the 'hills' on the W200 route) it'd be really useful!

I've also heard that the roads can be fairly treacherous, especially on the descents...could anyone weigh in on the best way to tackle these?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If you can do the W200 climbs you can do these. The roads are not bad and are quite good for the most part, the only tough descent is Mahon Falls but only for the first kilometer until you go past the cattle grid (theres one on the way up, one at the top and one on the way down). After that its easy. Just take it handy, ride down on the brakes, its twisty and open so you can see the whole mountain and the road coming up. You won't be able to go fast anyway.

Piece of p*ss mate. So to recap, you have Seskin, about the same as the Devils Glen, steeper maybe but a lot shorter (only around 800m - 1km). Then you have Powers the Pot, long steady and very easy, Maybe like the Sally Gap from Glencree. After that its Mahon Falls which is tough, not too tough though, probably not much worse than Slieve Mann and finally the Mooma road, again a long gradual pull which unless you are racing up is pretty handy, if you are doing it at a comfortable pace its a pretty miserable excuse for a climb, just like the Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap.

Don't worry about it. Come down and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm slightly concerned about this too. All my cycling at the moment is on the flat (or very short hills) so it should be interesting. Who else is doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm slightly concerned about this too. All my cycling at the moment is on the flat (or very short hills) so it should be interesting. Who else is doing it?
    ha ha ha ha ha

Multiple Iron Man races, Marathon des Sables, etc. etc. I somehow think you will be up to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

blorg wrote: »
    Marathon des Sables

Jaaaaayyysus!

@hunnymonster- Actually re-reading that post it wasn't clear if you are actually planning on doing the Marathon des Sables or just coming up with funny descriptions? Are you doing it? Was that your winter plan :D In any case I gather you are doing Ironman Florida and reckon you will be OK with the Sean Kelly 160. If you are fit on the flat and have the gearing I reckon hills will only be a problem if you are trying to race up them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Yeah MdS is the winter plan for this year. Florida is 1st November and I'll need something to distract me between then and summer 2009 (back to back ironmans/men). It's the downhill that worries me tbh. I'm such a scardy pants that it's not unheard of for me to go up cat1/cat2's faster than I come down them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am in for the 160 ... woohoo!!!! Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Iv signed up for the 160km as well. Hopefully there wont be a hurricane blowing that weekend

Yeah MdS is the winter plan for this year. Florida is 1st November and I'll need something to distract me between then and summer 2009 (back to back ironmans/men). It's the downhill that worries me tbh. I'm such a scardy pants that it's not unheard of for me to go up cat1/cat2's faster than I come down them!
    I found that problem with my new fixie, it's the coming down that's the hard bit :D Seriously though, I reckon the 160 is going to be like a walk in the park for you. Unless of course you want to race it! After "beating" Martin Early last weekend* I have a tentative plan to try to stay in the great man's group as long as possible myself - thankfully El Tonto will not be there to wreck things this time around :) Be sure to say hello on the SK (I will be the one on a Brooks-saddled Focus wearing sandals, I hope you will be the one with the blue shaved head covered in LEDs - or I will be very disappointed!)

*he had a puncture :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

don't forget entry for this closed last Friday.

• Advertisement

I am in for the 160 ... woohoo!!!! Can't wait :)
    You will be more than ready for it I reckon Caroline; I'd say some of the spins you have done in Wicklow would be at least as difficult (and indeed longer.)

@penexpers- I think we are mostly already signed up but any stragglers could always just cycle the route, I will volunteer to throw ye an energy bar.

You can still enter. Even though it says Postal and Online entry is closed, a form can be still posted out to you or you can enter on the morning.. At this stage I reckon if you haven't entered just enter on the morning. You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

thats cool. it gives me the chance to pull out at the last second again and not lose any money! :D

but seriously. what time is it departing at? is everyone staying down the night before, or heading down from dubland in the morning?*thinking* about doing it, but it's still firmly on the maybe list. will probably be the last decent spin before the weather gets good for the winter...

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    You can still enter. Even though it says Postal and Online entry is closed, a form can be still posted out to you or you can enter on the morning.. At this stage I reckon if you haven't entered just enter on the morning. You will be fine.

Then why does it say on the website "No entries will be accepted on the day"

To try and encourage people to enter in advance so they have an idea of the numbers presumably. I spoke to one of the organisers, Tom Casey at about 5 this evening about my own entry, he told me he could post me an entry or I could enter on the day. Maybe I am getting special treatment because I am with a club involved in the organisation of it, but I doubt it.

If you want to confirm you can enter on the day email info@theseankellytour.com

Ok thanks. Not sure if I'll do it or not but nice to have the option.

I reckon if you show up penexpers we will get you sorted one way or the other!

Heh thanks :)

I'll only be doing the 100km though. Heading down to Kerry for a few days so I might bring the bike along and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi, Will be heading down for this (160). Travelling down on the Friday and staying locally will look out for the Boardsies. Don't think my Boards jersey will be ready so I reckon as Blazing Saddles are involved, you'll see me in that one. Looking forward to it, anyone arranging the weather?

The jerseys place is open again on Monday. If they get the order out on Monday, there may be time for it to get here in time for Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Are people head'in down the night before? And if so where are you storing the bikes that night?

I'm think'in about head'in over for it but I need to sort out accommodation with a way securing the bike over night. (I don't have a car)

EDIT: Found a website that should give options for accommodation www.dungarvantourism.com , haven't contacted any of them yet about secure bike parking. Wonder could I sneak the bike into the room at some point... :rolleyes:;)

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

72hundred wrote: »
    Are people head'in down the night before? And if so where are you storing the bikes that night?

I am heading out there on Saturday morning, try and get there around 1 or 2PM or so and register that evening rather than in the morning. I think where I am staying is at the centre of Dungarvan if anyone is up for a short evening spin or just a cup of tea. On the sunday thought, I will head back up after the spin. Takes 3 hours or so to drive back to Dublin, right?

If the weather is sh*te, I will do the 100 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I'm doning the same as Caroline, down on the Sat afternnon to register that evening and back home afterwords. we have a house booked with a few of us so will be ok storing all the bikes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Crap, what are the numbers then for the 160km and 100km from the boards camp? Both my mates have backed out and I'm concerned I wont have the legs to do the 160km, although I would like to since I did the 100km last year and while it was my first proper cycle, I found the lack of climbing a bit of a letdown when I finished.

I plan on doing the 160km tour, if all works out for me in the next week and I can make it over.

Coolo. How are people getting down? Train? Also, if anyone wants to split a double or triple room in Lawlors hotel let me know, think its 75 a nite.

Yeah I'm train'in it from Limerick.

Crap, just realised the train doesn't go to Dungarvan - have to go to Waterford and get a bus from there.

penexpers wrote: »
    Crap, just realised the train doesn't go to Dungarvan - have to go to Waterford and get a bus from there.

HAHA! You make me laugh! :D

I was planning on cycling down myself on the Sat, its only 45km and it'd be something to do. If anyone else is up for that I'll probably be leaving Waterford at 5.45pm Sat.

72oo

• Advertisement

Im probably gonna drive now. I have a little blue punto with bike rack. I think it can fit 3 (will have to check!) but if 2 others want a lift and are happy to chip in a few buckets of petrol then send me a PM.

Also, still lookin for some takers on a hotel room!

EDIT: Important probably to mention that im in Dublin south!

Advertisement