Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dirk- myself and emty might take you up with the hotel room if it is a triple, I'll have to check with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Don't forget lads, I have a couple of spare rooms in Waterford City (you'd probably need to make your own way to Dungarvan on the Sunday morning so might require a car, although I can probably take 1). Tiny, do you still need somewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Don't forget lads, I have a couple of spare rooms in Waterford City (you'd probably need to make your own way to Dungarvan on the Sunday morning so might require a car, although I can probably take 1). Tiny, do you still need somewhere ?

I meant to get back to you sir -I'm going to have to give it a miss -just not fit enough for it at the moment. Really appreciate the offer though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Going to try the 100k - only ever cycled 100k once, a few weeks ago, so whilst I "enjoy" climbing I ain't ready for 2 in the the middle of 150k !

If you see a fella in pain on his Bianchi say hello !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i may be stuck for a place, but still dont know if im going yet, suffered a crash this morning and i can barely walk at the moment. So gonna see how i feel during the week,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Blorg, would be more than happy to share a triple, ill send Emty a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

OK, I know it's only Monday, and that an accurate weather forecast only streches as far as a couple of days, but by extrapolation I'm taking this line from www.met.ie to mean that Sunday is going to be the BEST DAY EVER: "Friday will also be mostly dry and winds will be light."

Who else is with me in my blind optimism?

Actually, I've just checked here and it's not favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'm not going to use my entry pack now if anyone wants it. Like Tiny I'm just not fit enough and have canceled my accommodation. If it's transferable then you're more than welcome to it. It's Number 202.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I'm not going to use my entry pack now if anyone wants it. Like Tiny I'm just not fit enough and have canceled my accommodation. If it's transferable then you're more than welcome to it. It's Number 202.

which one did you sign up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

E@gle. wrote: »
    which one did you sign up for?

The 165 but you can do either it or the 100 on the day I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ledgecubed

Thanks for that Quigs Snr, that was really helpful! I was always going to do it, but after the mysterious Slieve Mann on the W200 route I now have a firm policy of at least asking how hard something will be before doing it.

I was looking at the profile of the race and it seems pretty ok besides the 3 climbs in the final 60km or so. I'm not out to kill myself but I'd like to post a reasonable time. What do you reckon would an average time for it be, and what would a good time be?
    Raam wrote: »

Actually, I've just checked here and it's not favourable.

Probability of thunder 14%; I like those odds

@Ledgecubed- if you did the W200 you will be fine on this. As to times, no idea, remember it is not a race! Just do it at your own pace but do try to get into a group you are comfortable with as that does make it so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

My aim is to do it as training with HR < 140 so I'll be out there quite a while. Also got a bike/run session the day before so will be on tired legs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Ledgecubed wrote: »
    Probability of thunder 14%; I like those odds

Hopefully there'll be something more conductive than bike frames along the route!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ledgecubed

blorg wrote: »
    @Ledgecubed- if you did the W200 you will be fine on this. As to times, no idea, remember it is not a race! Just do it at your own pace but do try to get into a group you are comfortable with as that does make it so much easier.

It mightn't be a race but there's no point in doing it if you're not going to push yourself a bit!
    Perhaps it's because I haven't been cycling that long and I'd like to see where I'm at, and I think these events give you a great chance to do just that.

In short, it's not just the taking part that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

E@gle, no probs if you need somewhere. You could even come down on the Friday night if you like and do the Comeragh Leisure spin the day before (about 80-100k) on rolling coastal road, its a nice spin. Make a weekend of it. Anyway, just let me know at some stage before Friday, theres 3 spare rooms in the house ready to go. I am about a 30minute drive to the start line.

I am not sure what the exact averages were but my 2 training buddies were first men home from the 160 last year with a ride time of a little less than 5 hours which was pretty decent going in the hills. They were training for the B champs though so they weren't flat out, but did push it a little. An average of anything between 25-30kph would be pretty good on this terrain, depending on wind speed and direction.

Looks like I am confirmed for the 100 with the better half to provide mechanical support and no doubt copious amounts of pushing up hills ! But if a few of her triathlon buddies show up I may do the 160, might help me get rid of this pot belly I have been cultivating the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am no good at hills but this is meant to be a challenge. I have so many Wickow spins of between 120 to 190km over the past 2 months, anything less would be worthless.

I am worried about the feeding stations though. I was reading the feeding stations were ' Fruits and water' ... does that mean no sandwiches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Jaysis we need the oul sammichs. They were a godsend on the RoK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Maybe its time we started a new thread with a list of who's going, transport, estimated finish time etc? (I'd do it myself but I won't have web access on Sat so wouldn't be able to update the list)

E@gle, no probs if you need somewhere. You could even come down on the Friday night if you like and do the Comeragh Leisure spin the day before (about 80-100k) on rolling coastal road, its a nice spin. Make a weekend of it. Anyway, just let me know at some stage before Friday, theres 3 spare rooms in the house ready to go. I am about a 30minute drive to the start line.

I wouldn't mind joining you for this on the Saturday if you go ahead with it (and accept stragglers). I'm planning to do a 3:20 bike / 2:25 run then anyway.

• Advertisement

Ledgecubed wrote: »
    It mightn't be a race but there's no point in doing it if you're not going to push yourself a bit!
    Perhaps it's because I haven't been cycling that long and I'd like to see where I'm at, and I think these events give you a great chance to do just that.

In short, it's not just the taking part that counts.
    Well I am certainly planning on pegging it around myself, am reasonably fit at the moment and so my plan is to try to stay with the lead group as long as possible. So I guess I'm not so much thinking of a specific time as I don't know the course etc. but more in terms of trying to stay with a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    Well I am certainly planning on pegging it around myself, am reasonably fit at the moment and so my plan is to try to stay with the lead group as long as possible. So I guess I'm not so much thinking of a specific time as I don't know the course etc. but more in terms of trying to stay with a group.

You mean you're leavin the fixie at home? Coward :)

I'm hoping there will be a moderate pace boards group as well, although I do like trying to keep up with people, worried about these descents. As some of you know I am not the best over "loose" terrain.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm hoping there will be a moderate pace boards group as well, although I do like trying to keep up with people, worried about these descents. As some of you know I am not the best over "loose" terrain.

LDB and me will be leading the slow 160k group if you're interrested.

Count me in! One of the Ladies!

I am not sure what the exact averages were but my 2 training buddies were first men home from the 160 last year with a ride time of a little less than 5 hours which was pretty decent going in the hills. They were training for the B champs though so they weren't flat out, but did push it a little. An average of anything between 25-30kph would be pretty good on this terrain, depending on wind speed and direction.

Looks like I am confirmed for the 100 with the better half to provide mechanical support and no doubt copious amounts of pushing up hills ! But if a few of her triathlon buddies show up I may do the 160, might help me get rid of this pot belly I have been cultivating the last couple of months.

sounds like a good idea, there are 2 guys supposed to be coming down with me one of the lads is in the alps so i dont think he will have any interest in going and the other claims he has quit cycling after doing a recent iron man. so i may be on my own.

Im still in pain after yesterdays crash could hardly get outta the car today so will see how im feeling

Just got confirmation from the SKT people about the feeding stations:

There will be sandwiches, pastas, fruit, water and energy bars available

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

the food last year was very good.

is it wrong that a good part of how I rate an event comes from the spread they put on?

• Advertisement

is it wrong that a good part of how I rate an event comes from the spread they put on?
    Makes sense, the food is always nice, although after doing the Martin Early Tour of Kildare I would be putting a big plus on any event that stops traffic at all the junctions and waves you through red lights; that really was a blast.

Advertisement