Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Just got confirmation from the SKT people about the feeding stations:

There will be sandwiches, pastas, fruit, water and energy bars available

That all sounds brilliant.
    Pasta on a cycle that's excellent (tasty carb's galore :D)! I can hear calls of pass the parmesan cheese already :pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

72hundred wrote: »
    haven't contacted any of them yet about secure bike parking. Wonder could I sneak the bike into the room at some point... :rolleyes:;)
    72oo

I had a similar question before the Ring of Kerry. I asked the B&B and they said that I could leave the bike out back and it would be grand. I wasn't happy with that so just took it up to the room with me. They didn't say anything and I don't think they'd have a right to. It's part of my luggage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I had a similar question before the Ring of Kerry. I asked the B&B and they said that I could leave the bike out back and it would be grand. I wasn't happy with that so just took it up to the room with me. They didn't say anything and I don't think they'd have a right to. It's part of my luggage!

Last year I stuck mine in the B&B shed. I brought a lock with me. Someone else staying in the same place just left the bike in their car. If neither is an option for you, maybe tell 'em that "this bike cost xyz hundred/thousand" and hopefully they will sort you out.

www.met.ie
    Sunday will be a mild cloudy day, fairly dry in many places but with rain at times in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi guy's

Do you know if its ok to register at 6.30 and head off, just as many do on the ROK.
    I have commitments late in the day that might mean I can only do the 100k otherwise.

Cheers
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

First time for me doing the Sean Kelly, is it necessary to take enough grub on the bike for the entire route or are the stops well stocked?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@rapidoe- I'd imagine they are well-stocked enough. In any case the route passes through several towns including many major ones so you shouldn't have any trouble stocking up. I will probably start with in the region of 6 Nutrigrain bars and don't expect to need to buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'll probably have 2x750 ml water bottles with whatever sports drink Mr Hunnymonster hasn't scoffed (he is in taper madness) and a couple of bikkies.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hi guy's

Do you know if its ok to register at 6.30 and head off, just as many do on the ROK.
    I have commitments late in the day that might mean I can only do the 100k otherwise.

Cheers
    Rob

They tried their best last year to have a mass start, but I think some people still slipped off early.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Is every one sorted for accomodation at this stage?
    If so where are they staying?
    .. I am late in getting orgainised and need to sort myself out.
    I would prefer to stay in dungarvan ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Im looking for people too barrabus. Blorg mentioned emty and himself were interested in a triple, still waiting to hear back from emty, but if it doesnt work out we cud get a double at that hotel. Ill need to book pretty soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I wouldn't mind joining you for this on the Saturday if you go ahead with it (and accept stragglers). I'm planning to do a 3:20 bike / 2:25 run then anyway.

Hi there HunnyMonster, let me know if you are up for this and if you need somewhere to stay on the Friday / Saturday nights. No probs at all if you do. Myself and the better half are doing the Sean Kelly, she is skipping the Saturday spin to do the Tramore Triathlon, so loads of room in the house if you have anyone with you, thats fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

I'll probably have 2x750 ml water bottles with whatever sports drink Mr Hunnymonster hasn't scoffed (he is in taper madness) and a couple of bikkies.

Thanks for that, Ist 100m cycle, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Quigs i may take you up on that offer, one of the guys goingg with me pulled out so down to just 1

You're more than welcome E@gle, just let me know when you will be down and I will give you directions, or if you are taking public transport, come and collect you on Friday or Saturday..

what time is comeragh leisure spin on at on sat?? I may drive down that morning and stay saturday night

OK, Seskin Hill. We're gonna need people's times on this one. From last years log, I got 6 minutes 8 seconds. The bro knows a guy who did it in 4.11, if I remember it correctly. Now I won't beat that, but I'm gonna try get at least sub 5.30. Anyone else?

@Dirk- I looked into Lawlor's specifically and we were of the mind that it was a bit on the pricey side- that a B&B might be a bit cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just tried to find somewhere there - seems like most B+Bs in Dungarvan are booked out this weekend, only some of the more expensive ones left.

penexpers wrote: »
    Just tried to find somewhere there - seems like most B+Bs in Dungarvan are booked out this weekend, only some of the more expensive ones left.
    I had a not dissimilar experience. What are you ranking there as "more expensive" though and what ones are they- Lawlors is €75 per person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Blorg - Sorry for the late reply,my connection was crapping out here.

I'm good with any arrangement really, do you know of any B+Bs in dungarvan available for 4 (barrabus is also lookin for somewhere). Last year i stayed in a really nice one, problem was it was out in passage east, bit of a trek to dungarvan.

Let me know what the plan is anyway, as long as i have somewhere to stand my bike and lay my head im happy.

www.met.ie
    Sunday will be bright breezy day with sunny spells and occasional showers.

Ive tried all the b+b's I could find in Dungarvan and they are all full. Not sure what to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ive tried all the b+b's I could find in Dungarvan and they are all full. Not sure what to do now.
    You could try Waterford. Only 38k away from the start.

that's not a great option though. Don't fancy trying to cycle 38km before 8am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

that's not a great option though. Don't fancy trying to cycle 38km before 8am

Am staying there with a colleague. We will be driving. I think we have a full bike rack, but will let you know.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Am staying there with a colleague. We will be driving. I think we have a full bike rack, but will let you know.

That would be great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

If Dungarvan not an option I am going to stay with Family outside Waterford city I can pick someone up on the way through Waterford and put a second bike in the back of the car.

E@gle, the Comeragh spin is at 10 on Saturday morning. Its about 2 hours down from Dublin, so if you left at 7 you'd have no trouble. I am very close to the bridge in Waterford and from there its a 6 minute cycle to the start (I have this down to an art as I cut it fine every weekend morning!)

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    E@gle, the Comeragh spin is at 10 on Saturday morning. Its about 2 hours down from Dublin, so if you left at 7 you'd have no trouble. I am very close to the bridge in Waterford and from there its a 6 minute cycle to the start (I have this down to an art as I cut it fine every weekend morning!)

Ok does the comeragh spin leave from waterford? Im driving from Athlone so i reckon it will take about 2 1/2 hrs.

Will be nice to cycle somewhere other than bumby roscommon and offaly roads

Would you have room maybe sat night, i think im stayin in a mates sunday night

Thanks again

Advertisement