Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Challenge

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The Comeragh one does leave from Waterford. its not bad at all, rolling roads out to the coast. The "real" coast road can be pretty hairy, but I think we are avoiding that sadly, nonetheless it will be a handy spin, probably pace controlled for most of the way. The road in from Dungarvan turns into a bit of a drag race at times during training as there is usually a strong tailwind and the last 30k are mostly downward inclined. It will be a decent leg loosener for the next day. Usually it sticks together until the last 10 miles and then turns into a race ! I don't know how it will go this year.

Its about 2.5hrs from Athlone, I was recently up there for the triathlon. Saturday night is no problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Is a leisurely spin the recommended thing to do the day before a long one or will a week of cycling do? I don’t want to be tired for the Sunday but don’t want to be stiff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

LDB wrote: »
    Is a leisurely spin the recommended thing to do the day before a long one or will a week of cycling do? I don’t want to be tired for the Sunday but don’t want to be stiff either.
    a nice stroll along the beach :)

a nice stroll along the beach

sounds romantic ... where will I meet you?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

LDB wrote: »
    sounds romantic ... where will I meet you?! :D
    eeeerrr ... our secret is out, damn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

What's the route for the comeragh spin Quigs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

TBH optimal for a 160km sportive, especially if you have been cycling all week, would be nothing at all or at most something very short and gentle the day before, possibly even for 2-3 days before. Not that I always follow that advice mind, but I have found myself faster than normal immediately following a couple of days off the bike.

Of course the above would involve less cycling which is why I rarely abide by it :D

If the 160 is a big deal to you and it is to the majority of leisure cyclists, then I think a day of rest might benefit you more. If I do a spin on Saturday, I usually go better Sunday. For the earlier part of the season, a fairly hard 100 or 120k spin would be the norm followed by a race of similar distance the next day. When I started taking it easy on Saturdays to prepare for Sundays my form in racing dipped. Different things work for different people though, I was training for stage racing at the time, when I was training for the etape I would kick back and relax for at least a couple of days before a big event and any rides I did that week would have been either short, easy or a combination of both. If in doubt, put your feet up !

Junior, I think its signin at the Butlerstown GAA center, then out to Kilmeaden, take the road to Kill and straight on to Bonmahon. I am not sure if it will be a straight run along the coast road to Dungarvan from there, or the far more dramatic (and frankly a lot more difficult) "real" coast road, towards ballyvoorney cove and Stradbally. Either way you end up in Dungarvan, then the main Cork Road back to Waterford. Its a pretty routine spin for us in the winter if we are out for a short one... Nothing major at all on it, even if we take the hard route the worst you get is a few very steep but very short hills. If we take the standard route, then the gradual climb out of Dungarvan at the pike is about as exciting as it gets, and thats a big ring climb anyway.

thanks blorg and Quigs Snr for the advice, it seems for me a day of rest would be best and maybe, as Caroline says, just have a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just got a cancellation in a B+B at Stradbally, so I'll definitely be along for the 100km on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Stradbally is a bit out... Place in my gaff if you need it. Dunno if I can fit your bike in the car though, depends if E@gle is coming and if he has a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just checked again, it's in a place called Ballyvoile which is 9.8km from Dungarvan according to gmaps. Should make for a nice warm up. Thanks for the offer though :)

Yep, that spot is much closer. You'll be grand there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Ballyvoile's a nice flat run into Dungarvan - nice sea views too.

Handy for Clonea strand as well if you want to join in the shenanigans below.
    a nice stroll along the beach
    sounds romantic ... where will I meet you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

howdy all i was a bit late and reristration has been closed i found out you can still sign on that morning does any one have the forms i need ?

You can sign in on the morning or on the evening before. You might not get the T-shirt etc.. but you should be ok.

Advertisement