Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off campus student accom??

• 15-08-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

After dropping out from ul last year looks like i might be heading to dcu this year. As i dont know(and wont know till monday) where im going im only really looking into accom now(stupid i know).

Anyway as the odds of me getting on campus accom is slim to none i was just wondering is there any "official" off campus accom buildings like there would be in cork or limerick, If it comes down to it i dont mind staying in some random flat or house but id prefer to live with my fellow college students so i can get to meet new people and such.

Anyone got any recomendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Well there's the two Shanowen's which are now full and Gateway which is also full... there may be more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jhn_noln

are u sure gateway is full???
    it says there are places on the web!!!
    https://www.studentaccommodation.ie/property/the-gateway/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Has Anyone here Ever stayed in shawnowen hall , Im supposed to be moving in this year and would love to here what people have to say about . Because that Accomadation Thread Is awfuly outdated !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cheers on the gateway, looks like a good option for me alright, and apparently there 63 places left so come monday itl be booked if i get me place id say unless anyone else has any ideas of student villages around the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I never lived in any of the residences as I had the fortune of living five minutes away from DCU. However, I have been in them many a time. I have to say they are very small and basic. Security is a royal pain in the arse too! you can't so much as mutter anything loudly and they are knocking on your door, not to mention if you want to try and bring someone back to your flat! Personally and i know alot of people of this opinion, I would look for accomodation outside of the college. Gives you much more freedom to do what you want. As for meeting new people, you will be presented with ample opportunity to meet people through college. Join a society or two and you'l not need to look back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

in gateway, you're assigned an apartment on a first come first served basis.if there are 63 apartments left, you will most definetly end up facing the ballymun flats and the locals there are not too fond of students to say the least.get used to your windows being smashed through pretty frequently (unless you're lucky enough to get a top floor apartment, they seem to fare well). there is a garda station opening up right on gateway doorstep though which might deter some of the crap that goes on there.good luck anyway!

alexjk wrote: »
    in gateway, you're assigned an apartment on a first come first served basis.if there are 63 apartments left, you will most definetly end up facing the ballymun flats and the locals there are not too fond of students to say the least.get used to your windows being smashed through pretty frequently (unless you're lucky enough to get a top floor apartment, they seem to fare well). there is a garda station opening up right on gateway doorstep though which might deter some of the crap that goes on there.good luck anyway!
    Eeep, Might give the place a skip so, Cheers for the heads up man.

Ok now im deffinatly heading up, any more recomendations people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've updated the Accommodation thread Patricide but unfortunately most of those places will be full by now. You're next best bet, imo, will be daft.ie and see if you can find someplace listed there.

Cheers dude. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement