Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music...

Options
  • 15-08-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey, Im going into leaving cert in september, and have been trying to decide what 4 pieces to play for my practical. (Im also doing music technology) I play piano, and recently got honours in grade 5. Just wondering what pieces did you play? im hoping to get some ideas!

Atm, im attempting Phantom of the opera. I also am playing one grade five classical piece.....not sure what other two pieces to play.

Hope you got on ok with you music leaving cert result also :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did 4 pieces on violin-
    Meditation (grade 7 piece, romantic)
    Stormy Weather (grade 4 piece, jazzy)
    Schindler's List (grade 7 piece... depressing)
    Czardas (grade 8 piece, fast... bit of a show off piece really)
    And I had just done grade 7.

You don't need to do pieces of a high grade though, I just made things difficult for myself by picking such tricky pieces (particularly the czardas). It's more about the performance they say, than mad technical skills.

Do a variety of styles, I'd say. Classical, modern, jazzy, to make it interesting. It is a performance after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

I played 4 piano for mine, did grade 8 exam in 5th year.
    I played:
    A schubert impromtu (grade 6 standard)
    Mendelsohn venetian gondola song (grade 7)
    A Fantasia by Bach (grade 8+)
    My own arrangement of a piano piece from the film "finding neverland".

Basically, I would suggest varied music. Fast Vs slow, classic Vs modern, etc.
    Even though mine looks all classical, it's got slow/fast classical, fast baroque, slow romantic, and modern lyrical.

Saying that, you could even play a beatles piece and get the same marks. So play what you're comfortable with. Better to play grade 4 musically than grade 6 with mistakes.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Yeah i see where are are coming from about playing a grade 4 well, instead of making mistakes in a harder piece. Im already nervous about the practical and i really want to pick pieces that are of good standard and that i am comfortable with, as i am hoping to get a good grade in the leaving.

Also im just wondering , do you have to play one musical, one modern, one classical and one irish.............or have i picked that up completly wrong?!

Thanks for yer help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

Nope it's not that specific at all, Didn't stop me getting an A1 this week anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Wow, thats great....congrats you must be delighted :D
    Im glad to hear it isnt that specific, makes it a lot easier to choose pieces!

• Advertisement
Advertisement