Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda POS

Options
  • 15-08-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭

Just got notification of my alleged parking in a disabled parking bay.

Driving down Swords main street looking for parking, see one on the right hand side of the road, notice a gap in the oncoming traffic and turn in, then spot the Disabled Parking sign, check the mirror and wait for oncoming traffic to pass (notice the Garda car crawling past), reverse out and off I go.

Engine was never switched off, no-one got in or out.

Garda POS

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Just got notification of my alleged parking in a disabled parking bay.

Driving down Swords main street looking for parking, see one on the right hand side of the road, notice a gap in the oncoming traffic and turn in, then spot the Disabled Parking sign, check the mirror and wait for oncoming traffic to pass (notice the Garda car crawling past), reverse out and off I go.

Engine was never switched off, no-one got in or out.

Garda POS

:mad:
    sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Garda POS

No need for that. That's a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

unkel wrote: »
    will they still fine for it though???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TheFixer

I think in this case there is a need for it. Call it as it is and in this situation that's definitely what they were. Muckish behavior on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How did the Garda establish that you weren't displaying a valid disabled sticker without getting out of his car and taking a look, I wonder? Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Absolutly no need for it. There's an unreal amount of people using those spaces that shouldn't, but getting a fine for that is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Alun wrote: »
    How did the Garda establish that you weren't displaying a valid disabled sticker without getting out of his car and taking a look, I wonder? Very strange.

I agree, how would they have known you were not a disabled driver. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As above - how did they know you weren't a disabled driver, how did they know you were parked there, why did they just automatically issue a fine instead of turning around to stop and question you? Sorry OP, I think there's more to this story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

AudiChris wrote: »
    As above - how did they know you weren't a disabled driver,

I imagine 99 out of a hundred disabled bay parkers are not disabled, so it's probably simpler just to fine everyone, and the genuine disabled permit holders ring them up and get the fine cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Sorry OP, I think there's more to this story...

uh ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHH!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

As above - how did they know you weren't a disabled driver, how did they know you were parked there, why did they just automatically issue a fine instead of turning around to stop and question you? Sorry OP, I think there's more to this story...

No, there's not. Plain and simple. I don't BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, there's not. Plain and simple. I don't BS.

Well I'll call shenanigans because there is no way they are going to just send a ticket to a random car they see th back of for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

minxie1 wrote: »
    will they still fine for it though???

I might be wrong but I think that was intended as a warning for the OP rather than a comment on the topic raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well I'll call shenanigans because there is no way they are going to just send a ticket to a random car they see th back of for no reason.
    I'd be inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Zube wrote: »
    I imagine 99 out of a hundred disabled bay parkers are not disabled
    Having had some experience with this (no, i wasn't a traffic warden!), I'd say about 30%. The stickers are often displayed quite inconspicuously, where casual passers by wouldn't notice them.

I'd say fair play to any cop who bothers to enforce it. Not so good when they don't bother to make sure of their facts though:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well I'll call shenanigans .

+1

Take it to court OP.....you'll win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

The clincher for the Garda may have been that he noticed you going in then saw you trying to pull out again.

This meant that he'd have known you'd made a mistake were correcting it but also meant you wouldn't have had the badge.

You were probably done for no matter what as if you'd stayed in the space while hoping they'd drive on, they could have stopped their car and had some fun publicly humiliating you.

Prior to the on-the-spot fines there's no way a Garda would have chanced going up in court with what he'd seen, many judges would explode if they heard "Well Judge I saw this driver accidentally going in to a disabled space, noting his error and immediately leaving it".

Now the attitude seems to be "ha-ha got you", since they know going to court will cost you more than paying the fine even if you win.

Nothing for it really but for a few more people to start chancing the court despite the risk and cost and at least making the Garda think twice.

Now the attitude seems to be "ha-ha got you", since they know going to court will cost you more than paying the fine even if you win.

Nothing for it really but for a few more people to start chancing the court despite the risk and cost and at least making the Garda think twice.

There's no cost risk for yourself (represent yourself and have your ducks in a row), took the guards to court twice and won twice, It's amazing how quickly a case gets struck out of court if you turn up with your licence & insurance...

Don't ever be afraid to stand up for yourself when you know you've been wronged!!!!

There's no cost risk for yourself (represent yourself and have your ducks in a row), took the guards to court twice and won twice

True and very nice to hear you've won. But you've usually still got to lose a day's earnings or one of your holidays. Though the satisfaction of winning would compensate enough I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

does it generally work where its your word against a Guards ? Unless there is cctv footage - but thats turning into alot of work for a 40quid fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

peasant wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree.

+1

Are you sure this is the incident the ticket refers to? Could you have parked in a disable spot on another occasion? Does anyone else drive your car?

voxpop wrote: »
    does it generally work where its your word against a Guards ? Unless there is cctv footage - but thats turning into alot of work for a 40quid fine

The Garda has to prove that you commited the crime, he can't just say it.

This wouldn't be much of a democracy if someone could accuse you of doing something without any proof.

In the OP's case the garda should have stopped him, It would be a very brave Garda that would stand infront of a judge and say he presumed he was about to park in a disabled space....

I wouldn't pay that fine, i'd let them take me to court and see how they get on.....

bwardrop wrote: »
    +1

Are you sure this is the incident the ticket refers to? Could you have parked in a disable spot on another occasion? Does anyone else drive your car?

That might explain a lot..:)

OP don't dream of going to court if your facts are not 100%

The Garda has to prove that you commited the crime, he can't just say it.

Never been in court, yet. But any idea of what happens if two Gardai back themselves up.

I was under the impression that some judges pretty much put reason and argument to one side if two gardai make an accusation, because Garda 2 is an "independent" witness.

all depends on the crime....

In the op's case it wouldn't make a difference if he had 100 garda backing him up...you can't just drive by someone and send them on a fine a few weeks later, if a garda saw it happening he would have to stop the op or face looking like an ejit in court if it was challenged.........I really think the average garda would have more cop on....

Op's story dosen't add up and I'm neither a judge or a garda so I don't want to comment to much....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

One Garda witness backing up the other does not always constitute a vote on the truth of a case.

The second garda is not truly independent if he is involved in the process even though he might be just standing there with his hands in his pockets.

Also, like other witnesses, some gardai are capable of suffering from defective recollections :)

Getting back to the central issue - does anyone have a definition of what actually constitutes an act of "parking" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They drop these if you were actually in the right and bother to go to the superintendent at the issueing station without the attitude please.

I agree with Chris btw....no way they'd even get the reg just passing never mind noticing you don't have a blue sticker.

Time for new disabled signs I think:D
    funny-disabled-parking-sign-many-of-those-who-used.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

dont mean to go off topic.. but what is POS?

cheers

• Advertisement

pile of ****e....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement