Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child's quad?

• 15-08-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

(If I have posted this in the wrong section im sooooory :) )

My step daughter is a bit of a wild child, she is 7 years old but a big 7 and is a complete tom boy. All she wants for Christmas this year (I know its only Aug) is a quad!

I am completely out of my depth when it comes to quads. Can anyone please advise on a good one to get her, as I said she is a bit wild so it would need to stand up to a few knocks I'd say.

I was also looking at buggy's as an alternative which would be the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

SunnyP wrote: »
    (If I have posted this in the wrong section im sooooory :) )

My step daughter is a bit of a wild child, she is 7 years old but a big 7 and is a complete tom boy. All she wants for Christmas this year (I know its only Aug) is a quad!

I am completely out of my depth when it comes to quads. Can anyone please advise on a good one to get her, as I said she is a bit wild so it would need to stand up to a few knocks I'd say.

I was also looking at buggy's as an alternative which would be the better option?

Don't buy her one, they are extremely dangerous, the number of serious injuries to children using them is horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

As a long time biker I would whole heartedly recommend not getting a quad. Even for adults a quad in the wrong hands is lethal, even more so than a motorbike.

Accidents involving quads are nearly always fatal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

Thanks for the reply. Im extremely worried about the dangers but its all the child wants or has an interest in so I dont know what to do.

She is motor mental wont play with dolls or anything like that!

My Dad has about an acre of land at the back of the house which is flat and he says the quad can be restricted to not go so fast is that right??

Any help is really appreciated thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are serious about getting her something I would start with a bike, can she ride a 2 wheeled machine? If not forget the quad, a yamaha PW50 is a good starting machine, easily governable to walking speed.
    Don't forget you will also need helmet pants gloves and boots to be safe.
    Chinese machines of which 95% of all the minibikes are now are poor quality with limited spares backup and high failure rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Get one of those battery power "toy quads" which the only thing they can mount is a kerb and let the kid off flying around the driveway of the house. They are not dangerous and the kid still gets the quad, watch the late late toy show and the plethora of smyths catalogs etc that will start arriving from late october off. I'd say that is what the kid wants, not a real farmers petrol type quad which are dangerous even in the hands of grown adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Lambdrover

As a quad bike instructor I have to agree with the other posters here. 7 years old is just too young for a quad. The accident statistics are horrific. If she flips the quad you are looking at perhaps 150-200 kg landing on top of her.

If she is so much into machines think more in terms of a buggy with a cage and seat belt system plus wrist restrainers. At least if she flips it she remains inside the vehicle and should not get thrown out. They may cost more but what price your daughters life?

I don't want to preach about responsible parenting as I am not a parent myself. But I dread to think of your state if you bought a quad and something terrible happened to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Edit: Originally I figured you were a troll not worth responding to. But given that at a cursory glance your other posts appear fairly genuine, I am instead going to work under the assumption that you are a complete tool, and as such aren't worth responding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Truckle banned for 10 days for insulting other members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I am not going to preach, but just say that quads, although they have 4 wheels, arent exactly stable. when you turn at full lock they are easy to capsize, they have a high centre of gravity and they are fast. I had a trike with a live rear axle and you could not turn without lifting one of the back wheels.
    Go for a buggy if anything, they have a cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have seen several serious injuries ( including a spinal injury) and one death in children using quads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

SunnyP wrote: »
    but its all the child wants or has an interest in so I dont know what to do.

You could be an adult and no.... if her only interest was guns would you buy her one ?

Advertisement