Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MicraBabble

Options
  • 15-08-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hello!
    I feel it is time to start posting a fitness log to track the progress of my gym life which is just a week old. My stats:

Age/Sex: 30 year old male.
    Weight: Approx 12-12.5 st (77 kgs)
    Height: 6ft (180cm)

My background is that I was a keen swimmer in my youth, but haven't trained for 15 years at this stage, although I think it helped give me a solid set of shoulders. In recent years after piling on the pounds in my late twenties I weighed in at about 13.5 st and was some what pudgey. I got interested in diet and nutrition and tend to eat a low GL type diet with a nod to John Berardi's Precision Nutrition. I also took up cycling to work which is 30mins twice a day. I tend to cycle this as intensively as cross city travel safely allows me. The end result of this good diet and excercise is that I am a stone to a stone and a half lighter. However the problem is I am now what you might call "skinny fat". Slim but no real definition, and kind of soft looking.

So there is my goal, to tone up, drop body fat and add muscle.
    My current circumstance is that I am working abroad and not cycling. So I had to bite the bullet and join a gym in order to prevent myself becoming a fat heap again. It also means my diet isn't as good as it would be at home.

Objective (1): Maintain current weight and/or add lean muscle. Improve body shape.

Objective (2): Longer term if I went back up to 13.5 stone with lean muscle I would be delighted.

So in order to get myself up and running I decided to use Transforms beginners program.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Day One (06/08/08) - decided to ease myself into it (actually I was terrified of entering the free weights area. Some HUGE blokes in there) and did the cardio work out.

45-60mins aerobic session at 60-65% OF MAX + core work

Did 20 mins on the upright bike and 20 mins on the cross-trainer. Also added 5 mins on the rower at the end.

Core work

Reverse curls 20reps 3 sets + Weighted Crunches 15 reps 3 sets (actually did normal crunches)

Russian twists 12reps (each side) 3 sets + Plank - hold for 30 secs 3 sets

Not happy with my russian twists technique. I'm not able to go up and down!

Day Two (07/08/08)

20mins aerobic session at 70-80% of max heart rate

20 mins on cross-trainer

Plus weights session below

Lunges 12 reps (each leg) 3 sets + press ups as many as possible 3 sets

One arm dumbbell row 10 reps 3 sets + Swiss ball leg curl 15 reps 3 sets

Standing one arm shouler press 12reps 3 sets + Standing calf raises 20reps 3 sets

Rotator cuff work 15 reps 3 sets + bicep curls (dumbbells or barbell) 10 reps 3 sets

Resting for 90 secs after each back-to-back set.

For the lunges I lunge left and then stand up and turn around and lunge right. I read on CrossFit that this is a better way of executing the excercise as it simulates the walking lunge which you can't do in a confined space.

Managed only 10 press ups.

Day Three (11/08/08)

20 mins on treadmill

Plus weights session

Really enjoy this routine!

Day Four (12/08/08)

45-60mins aerobic session at 60-65% OF MAX + core work

Did 20 mins on the cross-trainer and 20 mins on the recumbant. 20 mins on the rower.

I also read another article discouraging the use of recumbant bike, and elliptical trainers. Says to stick to upright bike, moving stair climber and threadmill....interesting.

Core work

Agh damn you russian twist!

Day Five (13/08/08)

20 mins on upright bike

Plus weights session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Start doing the plank position with one leg off the ground and as far out to the side when you can do the normal plank for 30secs and 3 sets

Also keep the elbows tucked in to your sides when doing the press ups if you can.

On the russian twists just hook your feet under something, recline to 45-degrees and twist from side to side while holding a weight in your hands (ideally 10-20kg). These will need to be done at a good speed and do not bother with the lowering to the floor every time as the weighted crunches cover that already

Thanks for the advice Transform.

I am pretty much able to do the Plank for 30 secs in basic position. I was going to lengthen the time I was doing it, but I will try the harder way instead.

I will also do that with the twists. Hooking my feet under something will prob help a lot, because my calves were seizing up when I was doing them. Think I am tensing up my legs. :confused:

Day Six (16/08/08)

10 mins on upright bike, 10 mins rower.

Plus weights session

I should probably keep track of my progress with weights here. I am keeping note seperately, but I started off at such weedy levels. :o Basically if I complete the 3 sets I move to the next higher weight at the next workout, unless I feel my form went out the window.

On Sunday I walked around the town for about about 4 hours (does that count as a day? :D

Day Seven (18/08/08)

20mins threadmill

Plus weights session

Lunges - 8kg in each hand
    Press ups - 15/6/10
    Dumbbell Row - 12kg
    Swiss ball leg curl - 15/15/15
    Shoulder Press - 7kg
    Calf Raise - 6kg
    Rotator Cuff - 2kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 8kg

Day Eight (19/08/08)

45-60mins aerobic session at 60-65% OF MAX

Did 20 mins on the threadmill, 20 mins on the upright bike and 20 mins on the rower.

Finding 60-65% zone rather sedentary especially on the threadmill (I nearly need to just walk quickly to get up into that heart rate). I suppose as I get fitter it will require more effort to get that worked up.

Core work

Hooked my legs for the Russian twist and used a 5kg weight (as advised by Transform). Did them at a good speed and felt this was much better. Will push for the 10kgs next time.

I also did the plank with one leg out - mother of God! Need to focus on technique here a bit, check elbow position and how straight my back is etc.

Also did an incline crunch, but need to check my technique on this one. I think I should be reclining to 45 degrees as in the Russian Twist, rather than lying flat (well slanting downwards) and crunching up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Take the weight to 6kg on russian twists then 7kg etc no need for such a big jump

Keep taking the weights up on the legs and upper body exercises in the smallest increments possible every week or second week.

Increasing your strength is vital

Day Nine (20/08/08)

20mins upright bike

Plus weights session

Lunges - 8kg/8kg/10kg
    Press ups - 10/6/10
    Dumbbell Row - 12kg
    Shoulder Press - 7kg
    Calf Raise - 7kg
    Rotator Cuff - 2kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 8kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭LouLou1

Keep up the good work Micrababble...... Your obviously dedicated to your goals and should start seeing improvements soon.

Cheers LouLou1, thanks for the encouragement.

I have had a four day lay off while I visited Warzawa. Plenty of walking done in this time, but obviuosly no gym. Diet has been been fairly rubbish, but didn't blow it completely by any means. Just had a lot more sweet stuff than I have had in a while. That said I was very moderate on the booze....:D.....go me!

Back to gym today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭The_boat

I have to agree with loulou, keep it up, your going well.

Also thanks for linking your exercises, i'm alwasy on the look out for new ways to exercise the same muscels

No probs The_boat, glad it's of some use.

Day Ten (25/08/08)

20mins rower

Plus weights session

Lunges - 10kg/10kg/10kg
    Press ups - 18/10/15
    Dumbbell Row - 12kg
    Shoulder Press - 7kg
    Calf Raise - 7kg
    Rotator Cuff - 2kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 8kg

Not a bad session given I wan't in great form for it.

Day Eleven (26/08/08)

Did 20 mins on the threadmill, 20 mins on the upright bike and 20 mins on the stepper.

Found the stepper to be quiet a tough workout, especially compared to threadmill. It was difficult to keep in the 60-65% heart rate zone.

Core work

Russian twists with 5kg again. There are handy 5kg/10kg/20kg circular weights with handles (they are for putting on bars). To progress incrementely with this I'll have to use dumbells.

Day Twelve(27/08/08)

20mins upright bike.

Plus weights session

Lunges - 10kg/10kg/10kg
    Press ups - 18/15/10
    Dumbbell Row - 12kg
    Shoulder Press - 7kg
    Calf Raise - 7kg
    Rotator Cuff - 3kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 9kg

Have just finished this work out and it was tough going after yesterday evenings cardio session. Didn't get as much sleep as I needed. Have plans this evening so wanted to get the session in rather than skip my usual evening timeslot.

Went up to 9kg on Db curl so some progress. Would rather do the rotator cuff work with 2kgs but they seem to have disappeared from the rack. I guess the idea isn't to be making too much progress on the this excercise, just to try and keep the rotator cuff in good order for other lifts.

The shoulder press which I have felt was a bit stagnant felt pretty good today. Hopefully can make some progress on this in the coming weeks.

Day Thirteen(29/08/08)

10mins stepper, 10mins rower.

Plus weights session

Lunges - 10kg/10kg/10kg (each hand)
    Press ups - 20/15/10
    Dumbbell Row - 12kg
    Shoulder Press - 7kg/7kg/8kg
    Calf Raise - 8kg
    Rotator Cuff - 2kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 9kg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You mentioned that you are trying to get away from the "skinny fat" look. I would suggest including the big compound exercises into your training once you are feeling comfy with the current routine.

e.g. squat, deadlift, pull ups (or lat pull down for the moment), bench press.

The amount of aerobic exercise you are doing at the moment is going to waste you away further and perhaps reinforce the "skinny fat" look.

My 2c. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input BossArky. I think in the longer term that is what I will be doing.

I'm wondering though about the fact I will be cycling again when I come back to Dublin. That's an hour of cardio every day. I guess I will totally drop the cardio aspect of this routine, but will it be detremental to trying to get stronger/bigger? Or is it not something to worry about as i would not be going for huge growth?

Something to ponder in a couple of months.

Day Fourteen(01/09/08)

0mins aerobic session at 70-80% of max heart rate

15mins threadmill 5mins rower.

Plus weights session

Lunges - 10kg/10kg/10kg (each hand - emphasised longer stride today)
    Press ups - 15/10/10
    Dumbbell Row - 12kg/12kg/14kg
    Shoulder Press - 8kg/8kg/8kg
    Calf Raise - 8kg
    Rotator Cuff - 3kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 9kg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

MicraBoy wrote: »
    I'm wondering though about the fact I will be cycling again when I come back to Dublin. That's an hour of cardio every day. I guess I will totally drop the cardio aspect of this routine, but will it be detremental to trying to get stronger/bigger? Or is it not something to worry about as i would not be going for huge growth?

Something to ponder in a couple of months.

If you are aiming to turn into King Kong then cardio is just wasted calories.

Personally I would recommend keeping up the cycling alongside the gym. This way you'll have the best of both worlds: cardio fit and well defined. It will also stop you getting bored doing just one thing.

Day Fifteen (02/09/08)

Did 20 mins on the upright bike, 20 mins on the stepper and 2000m on the rower (about 10 mins).

Core work

Russian twists with 6kg.
    Weighted crunches I am still not doing them weighted but am doing them inclined.

Personally I would recommend keeping up the cycling alongside the gym. This way you'll have the best of both worlds: cardio fit and well defined. It will also stop you getting bored doing just one thing.

That's what I'm hoping for :D

Day Sixteen(03/09/08)

10mins threadmill, 2000m on rower (~9 mins).

Plus weights session

Lunges - 12kg/12kg/12kg (each hand - this was a killer, but I think it has thought me a thing or two about mental toughness and pushing yourself)
    Press ups - 15/10/9
    Dumbbell Row - 14kg/14kg/14kg
    Calf Raise - 8kg
    Rotator Cuff - 2kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 9kg

I realise now I had made a mistake in doing the lunges with 24kg, I had gone up 4kg thinking I already had done some 24kg sets on Monday. I actually had more problems with my skinny wrists holding the dumbells than the lunges them self, even though they were tough.

I am shattered tonight and need some quality sleep as they say.

Day Seventeen(05/09/08)

15mins threadmill, 1000m on rower (~5 mins).

Plus weights session

Lunges - 12kg/12kg/12kg
    Press ups - 15/9/9
    Dumbbell Row - 14kg/14kg/14kg
    Calf Raise - 8kg
    Rotator Cuff - 2kg
    Dumbbell Curl - 10kg

Another tough session. Had less problems with my arms during the lunges, but strained something in my neck while doing them. It was a throbbing rather than tearing sensation. It's fine now anyway. Found I was completely wrecked after the lunges, my whole body feels like it is involved in the excercise!

I am off on my holidays for a few weeks so don't expect any updates. I'm a bit annoyed because I bought 24 gym sessions and now that I have been going regularly I wish I had started into it a week or two earlier and gotten through all 24 before my holidays.

I feel I have been making good progress, and the body is starting to shape up, its a pity to interupt the regime now, but hopefully I'll come back in fighting form later in September and be up for buying another 24 sessions. :)

Advertisement