Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Spin, 17th August

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

el tonto wrote: »
    That's near Aranjuez, isn't it? We're on the northern side of Madrid, in Tres Cantos.

Ah ok, you're about 100 km north from there. Noblejas is south of Aranjuez.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ah ok, you're about 100 km north from there. Noblejas is south of Aranjuez.

Do you you still visit? There's some great cycling out here.

Do you you still visit? There's some great cycling out here.
    I was there last 3 or 4 years ago I wasn't cycling at the time, but lost all contact with my family since my granny died. I'd love to go back to visit some of my cousins, if they still live there. It's amazing to see where you originate from ( for me, Spain, Euskadi and Argentina)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's amazing to see where you originate from ( for me, Spain, Euskadi and Argentina)

My Spanish origins have all be acquired by marriage!

My Spanish origins have all be acquired by marriage!
    Well I speak Spanish with a French accent myself ... and I can't even pronounce my last name properly ...:o but I tan easily I guess ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Dear El Tonto,
    I still hate you for being in Spain.
    That is all

Tiny Explosions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Dear el tonto,

What a belter today*. 27 degrees**, zero humidity*** and a soft gentle breeze****. Absolutely gorgeous weather here in Dublin*****. Perfect for cycling really******.

Have a wonderful effing time you lucky so and so.

U

* Another wet one in this record breakingly awful August
    ** Ha! More like 16
    *** Yeah zero humidity if you don't count the rain
    **** True, but it's hardly a redeeming feature
    ***** Hey, the bigger the lie etc etc..
    ****** If ducks could ride bicycles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Dear El Tonto,
    we are all going to push you off your bike when you come home.
    yours, in friendship,

the Boards.ie crew

Can the mods ban someone for excessive smugness?

Good idea to Push him off his bike Raam -Niall's good at making it look like an accident :)

Good idea to Push him off his bike Raam -Niall's good at making it look like an accident :)

Jedi mind control...works every time:)

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Dear El Tonto,
    we are all going to push you off your bike when you come home.
    yours, in friendship,

the Boards.ie crew

In that case you really don't want to hear about today's spin. 25 degrees when we left this morning, 36 degress by the time we came home. A gentle 75km with the missus and father in law.

To satisfy Blorg's need for karmic justice I had to ride the last 30km with no front brake. One of the brake shoes came lose. They're ancient Campag brakes I have on this bike and don't have allen bolts, so I couldn't tighten it. Had to take the shoe off to stop it hitting my spokes.

In other news, I think I've started an arms race with my father in law with regard to bike bling.

In other news, I think I've started an arms race with my father in law with regard to bike bling.

Uh oh, lets hear it then...

Uh oh, lets hear it then...

It's something I've suspected has been underway for a while, but this trip kind of confirms it to my mind. When he was over in June he was admiring my pedals, new saddle and white Sidi Genius. I arrive over this week and he's got carbon Keos, this carbon saddle and upped the ante on the shoe front with white Sidi Ergo 2s. The upside for me is that I get his hand-me-downs for my bike here, which means a new carbon seat post and saddle.

You people have more money than sense!

El Tonto get off that computer and go for a tan, or a siesta or something ... get rid that cycling tan lines ... since you can :pac: ... and we can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's something I've suspected has been underway for a while, but this trip kind of confirms it to my mind. When he was over in June he was admiring my pedals, new saddle and white Sidi Genius. I arrive over this week and he's got carbon Keos, this carbon saddle and upped the ante on the shoe front with white Sidi Ergo 2s. The upside for me is that I get his hand-me-downs for my bike here, which means a new carbon seat post and saddle.
    So is he thrashing you up the hills thanks to all this bling :D

blorg wrote: »

A one-legged man with no feet on a bike with square wheels and no handle bars could beat El Tonto up a hill.

Sorry dude, we're just so bitter that you are away in the sunshine.

El Tonto get off that computer and go for a tan, or a siesta or something ... get rid that cycling tan lines ... since you can :pac: ... and we can't.

You know I wish I could, but I've actually got to work this afternoon. The joys...
    blorg wrote: »

No, but I'm beginning to wonder now if my mechanicals two days running were not the result of sabotage!
    A one-legged man with no feet on a bike with square wheels and no handle bars could beat El Tonto up a hill.

Sorry dude, we're just so bitter that you are away in the sunshine.

Spoken in bitterness, but tis also the truth. I'm plan to ride La Morcuera on Wednesday. Pray for me.

Spoken in bitterness, but tis also the truth. I'm plan to ride La Morcuera on Wednesday. Pray for me.

Dear God,
    Please give El Tonto a really nasty (but safe) mechanical at the worst moment on his climb. Broken seatpost at the top or similar would be just fine. Also, if you could make sure that he has no backup in cars to pick him up, or taxis or anything that would be great.

Oh, and if a pedal could break too, that would be fantastic.

Thanks a million (dad the Rev says hi btw)
    Love
    Tiny Explosions

I'm plan to ride La Morcuera on Wednesday. Pray for me.

Wow, that's a biggie. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

emty told us a story yesterday about a bike messenger in New York who only had one leg and was unbeatable in a race; so only one leg isn't necessarily a drawback...

el tonto, I held a picture of that saddle up to my 'blingometer' and it exploded.

Good luck with the mountain on Wednesday, and remember the N7:D

Wow, that's a biggie. Let us know how it goes.

I'll do a report if I'm still alive. Of the three big passes around here, it's the only one I haven't ridden yet and, apparently, the toughest. I rode the Navacerrada and the Canencia at Christmas.

My father in law was telling me about another pass last night that I wasn't aware of, the Puerto de Cotos. He said it was "so easy, you could climb it when you're drunk". He then proceeded to tell me how he once climbed it when he was drunk.

My father in law was telling me about another pass last night that I wasn't aware of, the Puerto de Cotos. He said it was "so easy, you could climb it when you're drunk". He then proceeded to tell me how he once climbed it when he was drunk.

He seems quite a character... and a hard core cyclist :)

He seems quite a character... and a hard core cyclist :)

It was back in the days when it was perfectly normal for cyclists to neck a few bottles of wine at a rest stop. He overdid it on the wine that time. He's still totally old school. Won't drink water or eat on spins, which in this weather I always find crazy. I went through four 750ml bottles today.

He's still totally old school. Won't drink water or eat on spins, which in this weather I always find crazy. I went through four 750ml bottles today.

Respect!:eek::eek:

I went through the same amount of water on our spin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have fond memories of cycling across Spain generally drinking a bottle of wine at lunch (included in the menu del dia) and a Tetra-Pak at dinner. It does not aid performance.

It was back in the days when it was perfectly normal for cyclists to neck a few bottles of wine at a rest stop. He overdid it on the wine that time. He's still totally old school. Won't drink water or eat on spins, which in this weather I always find crazy. I went through four 750ml bottles today.

What a legend... Blorg, are you sure you know who your father is? :)

Advertisement