Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin? 15th August

Options
  • 15-08-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Don't want to steal Mr.Explosions thunder but was anyone planning on heading out tomorrow?

I'd like to head out into the Dublin mountains and try my luck but I've never been out that direction before.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No boards spins for me for the next three Saturdays. I'm off to Spain tomorrow to cycle in the sun for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    No boards spins for me for the next three Saturdays. I'm off to Spain tomorrow to cycle in the sun for a change.
    You like reminding us of that, don't you.

I should be on for a spin tomorrow, planning on doing this lumpy/humpy thing down in Carlow on Sunday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    You like reminding us of that, don't you.

I do. I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I do. I really do.

I hope it rains on you. Lots and lots and lot and lots and lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I am interested but the forecast is very poor.
    http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/EIXX0049.html

Will make a call in the morning.

• Advertisement

I hope it rains on you. Lots and lots and lot and lots and lots.

Not going to hapen. Scorchio. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

barrabus wrote: »
    I am interested but the forecast is very poor.
    http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/EIXX0049.html

Will make a call in the morning.

I bought mudguards and overshoes yesterday!

fish-head wrote: »
    I bought mudguards and overshoes yesterday!

I bought extra large water bottles today for cycling in the heat! (I'm really starting to enjoy this now)

Not going to hapen. Scorchio. :D
    You'll want to get the cycling in early in the morning I reckon although I'm sure you're used to it. Madrid in August? Hmm, don't know that would be my choice, IIRC half of the city shares my view and decamps up to the northern coast!

I bought extra large water bottles today for cycling in the heat! (I'm really starting to enjoy this now)

I bought a tactical nuclear missile with your name on it!

• Advertisement

You'll want to get the cycling in early in the morning I reckon although I'm sure you're used to it. Madrid in August? Hmm, don't know that would be my choice, IIRC half of the city shares my view and decamps up to the northern coast!

Yep, the trick is to leave at around seven in the morning and get up into the mountains before things begin to heat up. Coming back home, the speed on descents tends to keep you cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

If there is a spin tomorrow I am in, but you'll need aproper start time and meeting point.
    Yep, the trick is to leave at around seven in the morning and get up into the mountains before things begin to heat up. Coming back home, the speed on descents tends to keep you cool.

IThat was also what I had planned. I'm just back from the Basque country to see my mum and there was no sun ... rain rain and rain. I still cycled though ... 1 sunny day where I cycled in around Bordeaux, my home town, and I crashed ... ( bruised my ego and my left arm and legs) and 2 overcast days kinda sunny in the morning in Biarritz, where I managed to cycle up to Spain, and got back just before the storm started. The rest was just heavy rain ... :(

I hope you have a better weather than me ...

Well lets organisize a proper starting time and meeting point then.. What you reckon, Blorg?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

10 oclock sandford rd chucrch?

Well to be honest I'm a bit lazy right now and as planning to do the Lumpy Humpy 100 on Sunday I wouldn't be planning a mad distance either - something like 11am from Dundrum would work for me?

Note: I can do earlier if required/desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

11am from Dundrum would work for me?

I am happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

...something like 11am from Dundrum would work for me?
    I am happy with that.

me too. you happy with that barrabus? fish-head?

i need to find out just how much damage i've done to myself in the last 2 weeks. lots, i reckon :rolleyes:.

Sounds like a plan. Due to the slightly later start, we will have to have some ground rules: keep it at or under 150km and do Sally and Wicklow Gap no more than once each :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Weather permitting, LDB and myself are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i'm in too, weather dependent of course, as per my recent 'outing'.
    would be looking to get home around 2ish though, so not going large...
    dundrum luas bridge at 11. if the weather's bad I'll bring the thermos down :)

• Advertisement

Yeah 11am is cool. Whatever the weather! Is it Sandford Rd or Dundrum Luas?

looks like it's dundrum luas @ 11
    Oh and I can't believe everyone is too polite to point out that saturday is actually the 16th!!! And don't even try to excuse it as "I posted it on the 15th!" :D

Gah! I have been exposed for the numerically retarded numbskull I am!

Any proposals for a route?

how about enniskerry - sally - kilbride - boharnabreena loop? something like this maybe? comes in around 67km, so just under 2 hours according to the recent average speeds poll.. :D Must go find a bigger piece of string though.....

edit sorry was private - should be public now...

not loading for me, but sounds fine.

If it is turning back at Sally Gap I would actually be quite on for going up before Stepaside for a change- right at the roundabout gets us up by Johnny Foxes, right along Pine Forest, left up Cruagh Road to the viewpoint, over Military Road to Sally Gap and then back the way Ken suggests. Some great climbing there but all gentle enough.

suggestion, rest of the route as Ken suggests

that road has a 'road closed' sign on it, i did it last night, went on to kilternan and then up the route by the church opposite ambrose glass motors.

kenmc wrote: »
    that road has a 'road closed' sign on it, i did it last night, went on to kilternan and then up the route by the church opposite ambrose glass motors.
    It's not really closed, just being resurfaced- it's fine, honest, was last on it Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Any route is fine by me.

Advertisement