Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin? 15th August

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I feel like a complete flippin' heel now but I won't be able to make it.
    Bit of a family crisis at the moment so I'm needed elsewhere unfortunately.

I really want to make it out to one of the spins soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

fish-head wrote: »
    Yeah 11am is cool. Whatever the weather! Is it Sandford Rd or Dundrum Luas?

just home + 1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

wet and very windy in dundrum at the momement. i'm back to bed for an hour, maybe it'll be better when i wake up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It doesn't look great all right. Who is still in, maybe just for a short one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Weather is fine,its a bicycle ride up through the hills of Wicklow not a stroll down Grafton St:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

emty wrote: »
    Weather is fine,its a bicycle ride up through the hills of Wicklow not a stroll down Grafton St:)

that's a big +1

c'mon.

I am in.
    But think staying low is the way forrward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

dunno lads, not sure if the mountains are still there - had a look up and all I can see is a black void!might have blown or washed away in the rain
    i've decided against.
    edited: thunder and lightening now! ye lads are nuts if you went up the mountains. Carbon is a damn good conductor! EEK!
    I figured that when the police were teling drivers to be careful on the roads, it meant that bikes basically shouldn't leave the shed!

i wussed out got to my brothers house for cup of coffee spotted a rip getting bigger on my tyre ... all the excuse i needed with the rain.

• Advertisement

Ye are all wusses... dry, warm wusses...

Caroline_ie, emty and niceonetom turned out.

I didn't think it was actually possible that it was going to get worse - well I was wrong :( Given the weather we decided to curtail our trip at the viewing point and gave Sally Gap a miss.

16-08-2008_me.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

still wearing the sandals though! hardcore. just realised I've seen
    you coming down link road from sandyford a few times in that rain jacket..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Was very wet alright ... still gladI was out though, even if it was a short one...
    This weather is so frustrating ... argh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Looks like you had fun!

fish-head wrote: »
    Looks like you had fun!
    I don't know if you would quite call it that. Still thawing at home now, surrounded by two radiators.

@copacetic- it's actually getting to the stage that I would start reconsidering the sandals; I was getting quite cold today and feet were entirely numb by the time I got home. Apparently it's August but looks like no-ne told the weather.

blorg wrote: »
    I don't know if you would quite call it that. Still thawing at home now, surrounded by two radiators.

I had to wait 30 minutes for hot water ... I really enjoyed the warm shower ... now it's time for TEA ... nothing beats tea. Barry's Tea = best recovery drink of a wet irish saturday spin.

That's it, I am going to start a new cult, Blorg as the guru ... ahead on climbs, on his new fixie, in the wet, and wearing sandals ... anyone wants to join?

Fair play to you, Blorg ... must some really tough strengh training to do this.

To be honest it gets up the hills pretty good, it's getting back down them that is the difficult bit! Emty caught up with me on the downhill along by Pine Forest but I overtook him again on the road up to the viewpoint. There is a definate "flywheel" effect (as Tom mentioned) that makes pedalling up a hill a much smoother operation than on a bike with a freewheel.

I'd certainly recommend a fixie to any cyclist, best thing I ever bought, and just phenomenal fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'd certainly recommend a fixie to any cyclist, best thing I ever bought, and just phenomenal fun too.

You should be in commission blorg - do you realise how many on-the-brink would-be fixie riders you've just tipped over the line?:D

Couldn't agree more, they are great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

hats of to ye for going out. I wish I could be that dedicated!

I went down the road on my bike at about 9:30 this morning, was out for all of 15 minutes and was drenched. I really wanted to take out my new Bowery but didn't want it to get wet :D

• Advertisement

LDB wrote: »
    I really wanted to take out my new Bowery but didn't want it to get wet :D
    Argh, you Blorg wannabe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Argh, you Blorg wannabe!!!

That's it, we all wannabe!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

@copacetic- it's actually getting to the stage that I would start reconsidering the sandals; I was getting quite cold today and feet were entirely numb by the time I got home. Apparently it's August but looks like no-ne told the weather.

in this weather i'd be wearing my toe covers on my normal shoes as they are pretty ventilated. maybe you could do that with the sandals. it'd look funky at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

So ya went for the bowery in the end blorg? Is it for commuting or purely training purposes?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    So ya went for the bowery in the end blorg? Is it for commuting or purely training purposes?
    I bought it for training purposes but since getting it have been in such a massive Zen haze that I realise it is all the bike I need for any purpose. Except descending or trying to keep up with Emty when he puts his foot on the gas :D

Seriously though, I did buy it primarily for training and already feel it is great for that but it is also perfect for commuting or cycling around the city. Only drawback is that it won't take a rack (or standard mudguards, although I have race blades on it already.)

Advertisement