Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eric Bischoff Blasts the Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer

• 15-08-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

This is off Bishoff's Blog-
    Bischoff wrote: The wanna-be TMZ's of the world lower the bar even further to get attention and people that can’t find enough negativity to fill the black hole in their own lives, continue to seek out even lower forms of Internet life. Those people need only to become wrestling fans. Once they do, they can seek out Internet sites like Dave Meltzer's that features commentary from a middle aged, overweight, silicon-laden troll whose only real talent was converting her willingness to being passed around by wrestlers as a party favor into a paycheck more than a decade ago. Or worse yet, that headlines bogus "divorce stories" as breaking news only because they didn't bother to do a basic public records check beforehand. They can then subscribe to his 345,000+ word weekly assault on grammar that attempts to be the arbiter of an industry he’s never been directly involved with for "inside information".

Hmm, wonder what happened to set him off?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It is a complex situation. Eric has always preferred people writing about only the positive things he has done. Also he of all people shouldnt be throwing stones at Missy Hyatt.

But Eric has a point about Dave's grammar sometimes. As his occasional 2am stream consciousness writing style does lead to occasional WTF moments. The person I blame is his editor Scott Williams who seemingly never does his job. In fairness to Dave it is a one man operation writing 25,000-50,000 words a week. Dave also printed a retraction about the Flair story as what is customary for the newsletter. The divorce story didnt headline the newsletter in was in a small paragraph on the second page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

rovert wrote: »
    It is a complex situation. Eric has always preferred people writing about only the positive things he has done. Also he of all people shouldnt be throwing stones at Missy Hyatt.

As you know, i dont have a great knowledge to the observer, do they and bish have a history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Meltzer is a f*cking ring rat. He just sniffs around shows/venues for scraps of info. What I hate most is fools who take everything he types as gospel.

dancor wrote: »
    Meltzer is a f*cking ring rat. He just sniffs around shows/venues for scraps of info. What I hate most is fools who take everything he types as gospel.

Have you read it? I dont take any media source as gospel there is bias in everything.

This has been going on for years. Beschoff has blasted Meltzer loads of times. Not only that but its become a little rivaly, Meltzer reviewed Beschoffs book and pointed out all his mistakes.

• Advertisement

As you know, i dont have a great knowledge to the observer, do they and bish have a history?

Long story short Dave is more or the less a historian after covering the business for so long. He tracked the rise and fall of WCW. During that he reported both the negative and positive. Bischoff is a person who totally ****ed up a hugely successful organisation, which he built. Years later Bischoff writes a book for WWE and Vince McMahon which goes off on Meltzer and Keller referring to their publications as "dirtsheets" (gutter press basically.) But in that book Bischoff never discloses the fact that he was in near daily contact with Meltzer during his time in WCW. Bischoff is very bitter how history remembers him and takes little blame his role in the company's collapse.

This has been going on for years. Beschoff has blasted Meltzer loads of times. Not only that but its become a little rivaly, Meltzer reviewed Beschoffs book and pointed out all his mistakes.

Thanks man, but are there any feesable mistakes that he did point out?
    Long story short Dave is more or the less a historian after covering the business for so long. He tracked the rise and fall of WCW. During that he reported both the negative and positive. Bischoff is a person who totally ****ed up a hugely successful organisation, which he built. Years later Bischoff writes a book for WWE and Vince McMahon which goes off on Meltzer and Keller referring to their publications as "dirtsheets" (gutter press basically.) But in that book Bischoff never discloses the fact that he was in near daily contact with Meltzer during his time in WCW. Bischoff is very bitter how history remembers him and takes little blame his role in the company's collapse.

Thats very interesting.
    But why were they in near daily contact every day back in wcw?

Have you read it?

The blog or Observer? Blog, No. Observer, Once or twice.
    I dont take any media source asgospel there is bias in everything

Its a pity so many do. ''Meltzer said this'' ''Meltzer said that'' :rolleyes:

The blog or Observer? Blog, No. Observer, Once or twice.

How did you did find him as a news source and an industry analyst?

Is there a better news source out there? Id rather get my news from the source over a rewritten version from PROWRESTLINGNOOZ.COM which is aimed at the lowest common dominator.

What seems to be lost on you dancor is that by saying ''Meltzer said that'' doesn’t imply I saying it is the true or the gospel. It is similar to saying that the "BBC reports that." I am letting the credibility of the source speak for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Good to see Eric keeping himself busy :rolleyes:.

Good to see Eric keeping himself busy :rolleyes:.

The fact he found Missy's column burried on that site says a lot. :p

How did you did find him as a news source and an industry analyst?

Very good as a news source, but if you have been sniffing around as long as he has your bound to make a name and a few sources. As an analyst, everyone seems to be able to analyze pro wrestling/mma these days.
    Is there a better news source out there? Id rather get my news from the source over a rewritten version from PROWRESTLINGNOOZ.COM which is aimed at the lowest common dominator.

This forum is my news source these days, Couldnt be arsed with anything else.
    What seems to be lost on you dancor is that by saying ''Meltzer said that'' doesn’t imply I saying it is the true or the gospel. It is similar to saying that the "BBC reports that." I am letting the credibility of the source speak for itself.

rovert you used I twice, not sure if its an example or you think what I said was aimed at you, it wasnt.
    When I said ''fools'' earlier i should have elaborated.
    ''Fools'' = fans who argue, and back up what they argue with ''what Meltzer said'' and not fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I read it yesterday, I found it kinda funny considering how Bischoff was a big source for Meltzer back in the day

Missy's columns are awesome too! Eric is letting personal grudges get in the way of some quality entertainment

Personally, I find Meltzer to speak more sense than anyone else connected to the wrestling business in his analysis. What he reports is invariably the truth. How can he have the time to sniff around at shows with the amount of work that he does?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Fozzy wrote: »
    I read it yesterday, I found it kinda funny considering how Bischoff was a big source for Meltzer back in the day

Quoted for truth.
    Another one who also was also a big source for Meltzer in the 80s, early 90s was Piper, and he blasted the living hell out of him in his shoot interview from around 2003, i think.

To this day, i still think Piper has bones with Meltzer.
    VR!

Quoted for truth.
    Another one who also was also a big source for Meltzer in the 80s, early 90s was Piper, and he blasted the living hell out of him in his shoot interview from around 2003, i think.

To this day, i still think Piper has bones with Meltzer.
    VR!

Piper seems like that sorta guy who just doesnt let much stuff go

Piper seems like that sorta guy who just doesnt let much stuff go

Yeah didn't he threaten to burn Dave's house down via Bryan Alvarez in a bathroom/locker room (can't quite remember the story) one time at a show in Oregon?

Of course Piper was was on Observer live in about 2003 and he was nice as pie.

I think the shoot where he slates Meltzer was done after that, I think that evening is what provoked it.

I could be wrong on that though.
    VR!

I think the shoot where he slates Meltzer was done after that, I think that evening is what provoked it.

The interview provoked it? I've listened to it at least twice and I have no re-collection of it other than:

- Piper called Dave "sir" about 50 times
    - Piper spent 2 minutes telling Dave what a great time he would have at Christmas with his son.

It was a nothing interview and it all seemed very civil although you could tell there was a history there.

Off topic but the Observer with Ole Anderson and Dave going at it for about 30 minutes is one for the ages. Ole came across to me like a clever but very bitter guy.

Yeah didn't he threaten to burn Dave's house down via Bryan Alvarez in a bathroom/locker room (can't quite remember the story) one time at a show in Oregon?

COCAINE IS A HELLVA DRUG

All I remember Dave wrote something harmless about Piper's son which Piper took exception to.
    As an analyst, everyone seems to be able to analyze pro wrestling/mma these days.

Doesn’t matter, Meltzer is probably the best at both as he understands promotion like few others.
    Rovert you used I twice, not sure if its an example or you think what I said was aimed at you, it wasn’t.
    When I said ''fools'' earlier i should have elaborated.
    ''Fools'' = fans who argue, and back up what they argue with ''what Meltzer said'' and not fact.

How else am I meant to take this post when you are rolling your eyes at me?

I also was talking from my perspective as it is the one I can talk about.
    Piper seems like that sorta guy who just doesn’t let much stuff go

Which Piper are we talking about? The one who is Mr. Happy working for WWE and loving or Mr. Sad the guy who wants to reform the business for the boys as Vince is the devil?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Dear Eric seems to have forgotten that Controversy Creates Cash.

The interview provoked it? I've listened to it at least twice and I have no re-collection of it other than

Piper called everyone "Sir" then, he said that to the highspots shoot interviewer too. I tried poking around to find out when the interview took place, but to no avail, but he spent about 10 minutes tearing Meltzer apart on it.

VR!

I read it yesterday, I found it kinda funny considering how Bischoff was a big source for Meltzer back in the day?!

I so wish he would do part 2 on Bischoff's book. As it was very funny to read the "lies" Bischoff said Dave wrote about him were a) not lies and b) actually came or were confirmed by Eric himself when they used to correspond.
    Missy's columns are awesome too! Eric is letting personal grudges get in the way of some quality entertainment

Exactly, boo hoo Missy sued and won a sexual harassment suit against him.
    Personally, I find Meltzer to speak more sense than anyone else connected to the wrestling business in his analysis.

The amount of statistics and historical examples he can pull on the spot is scary. He has got to have a ridiculously high IQ.
    What he reports is invariably the truth. How can he have the time to sniff around at shows with the amount of work that he does?!

Especially when he was numerous long standing, high ranking contacts in all major promotions. He simply doesn’t have to. People call him probably more than he needs to call people, seriously. In the last year or so he has gone to two WWE shows tops. Dancor is so full of **** here especially as he has only read so few issues of his newsletter:
    Meltzer is a f*cking ring rat. He just sniffs around shows/venues for scraps of info.

Which Piper are we talking about? The one who is Mr. Happy working for WWE and loving or Mr. Sad the guy who wants to reform the business for the boys as Vince is the devil?

:confused:
    I don't know... are we....

By the way Meltzer went on record in early 1998 that WCW was at the beginning of a massive decline. Bischoff fobbed it off.

:confused:
    I don't know... are we....

Yeah it is not as black and white as that:
    piper_wm6.jpg

Yeah it is not as black and white as that:
    piper_wm6.jpg

:pac:

The amount of statistics and historical examples he can pull on the spot is scary. He has got to have a ridiculously high IQ.

Following the stock market at age five :p

Following the stock market at age five :p

Ever seen his brother Scotty?

• Advertisement

Ever seen his brother Scotty?

I don't think so. He's a comedian or something, isn't he?

I don't think so. He's a comedian or something, isn't he?

Kinda he is more of a high end performance artist really:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5mlYl8xEnE&feature=related

Advertisement