Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we ever got invaded...

Options
  • 15-08-2008 4:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the recent troubles in Georgia and the citizenship having to do a runner in advance of Russian tanks, what if...

Ireland was invaded by UK/USA/France/Iceland/Russia/aliens and you were fast asleep in your bed at home. We have a small but determined military who fought valiantly and died brutally. Tanks, planes and artillery are pounding the towns and cities and it's time to go.

Where would you go and what would you take?

What's your escape plan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Dyflin wrote: »

What's your escape plan?

A lot depends on where the beach head is, I would imagine Dublin would get hit by a airborne/light seaborne assault raid and Cork would be the target for a heavy port so Mayo look favourite for a nice hiding spot.

Escape plan is simple, source a 4x4 and keep off main roads and head off road within a mile of potential busy junctions. Hide during the day and move after 02:30 and park up again by first light.

What would I take....... Family, supplies and my old escape kit from my forces days. I have a lot of outdoor gear like tents, sleeping bags and fishing gear so those would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Id say embrace our new Alien Overlords, rise to the top and then strike when ive been given a position of trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I guess it depends on wh invades. if its the french, then staying at home and shouting nasty words at them should be enough to defend my home, alternatively if it is anyone other than the UK head north or across the Irish sea I suppose with 4 million other people.

if its the UK, well, I'd just get my union Flag out and put on my England shirt I suppose :D

If its Aliens, then I'd head to my sister in laws in Finglas, not even Aliens are stupid enough to go there.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just when you think you got rid of the last lot... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    Just when you think you got rid of the last lot... :D

damn those Vikings :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I guess it depends on wh invades. if its the french, then staying at home and shouting nasty words at them should be enough to defend my home,

I fart in your general direction / Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries. - That sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Flee the country, try and get asylum abroad (or be an illegal alien) and raise pro-Irish feelings, get EU military support for war, a speach of sweeping political generalisations and statements in front of a large crowd on St. Patricks day.

Basically try and talk another country into a counter invasion I suppose. Dunno if they'd be any nicer than the last hypothetical lot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

go to my gun safe take wat i have
    yhen raid a gun shop dor more stuff and go to the land i no best a local in his homeland on his home ground fights with the effectiveness of a platoon of soldiers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

did this not happen ....... sh*t that's next week !!!
    then i will be overlord of you alllllllllllllll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 67AQUALUNG

It would most definatly resort to geurilla(not gorilla,unless the fighting makes its way to dublin zoo)tactics,hit and run.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Id die fighting every last enemy down to my dying breath!! even if im only in the RDF!!:D ah id say the provos would make a comeback big time. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ohh I'd fight till there was nothin left but Poo to throw at them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Ok, if it was the USA or France. I would probably collaborate. The Americans would sort us out quickly. Losing a war to America is the best way to get money off them. As for the French, well they have an enviable lifestyle. They dress well, the women look good. The food is great. Who wouldn't want to be French?

If it was the UK, we probably wouldn't notice because we're practically british anyway and in any case all of the above would only invade us in order to save us from yet another Fianna Fail regime. God knows we need someone to take out that shower of criminals.:mad:

I would be worried about the Russians though. They wouldn't tolerate any kind of resistance. Nasty!:(

Aliens, I don't know, it depends on what kind of aliens invade. If it was the woman's planet of Amazonia. I may surrender. But Klingons are scary and Romulans worse than the Russians. As for the Borg, well 'resistance is futile' you know!

The Icelanders would be the worst though. I've been there and they are hardy people. They would give us a hard time. Worst of all, a pint cost a tenner. The ultimate nightmare:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Disonyxiated

Wait O.o' We're practically British? Not sure what part of the country you're from but round these parts you'd be stabbed for saying that. Just saying~ :] Whatever happened to nationalism? Or has the Celtic Tiger ruined that too?

Em, well the army would be pretty much wiped out! So I'd avoid hanging around them for too long! Then well I guess the best thing you could do is to just do nothing for a few weeks. Let them plough through, take over & start to settle in. That'll give you time to suss out the situation & work out a practical guerilla campaign. Chances are we'd pull together a random bunch of ''Wind That Shakes The Barley'' types that'd be good for inflicting attrition damage against the enemy which would sap the political will to stay in the country. I'm talking about simple stuff like good ol'car-bombings, sniping, that kind of stuff which makes their life here less than enjoyable. Also, might consider taking action against collaborators. Just Sayin' >:]

Oooh yeah, somebody mentioned grabbing a 4X4 & driving around by night? Darkness isn't what it used to be. The heat-signature coming off that vehicle would be like a Christmas Tree to any modern attack choppers, support aircraft & infantry NVE O.o Especially if there's movement restrictions I'd avoid driving around too much! Probably better to dig out an underground place to camp it out.

Either way, the best bet would be to let it all settle then gradually build up a resistance. It won't happen over night, but it'd work out better than having 50,000 of us throwing stones on D-Day & getting mowed down.

-Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Well if I hadn't already died or got taken prisoner in the initial invasion, I'd just sit tight at home. Obviously I wouldn't hang around if there was a mass genocide going on but lest say the invaders are LIKE previous occupiers of this country.

First thing I'd do is head to the pub and carry on with my day to day life and wait for all the walts/airsofters/paintballers/online-gamers/romantic nationalists/gun-toting Chavs/people who've seen Wind That Shakes the Barley all to Martyr themselves for the cause in an egotistical leadership struggle (Martyrdom doesn't cover those who die of exposure in the Wicklow Mountains so bring a pull-over) then when all the dust settles and the gunsmoke clears from the valleys and The Wolfe Tones are given another 50 years worth of lyrics....then I'll set up a resistance.

Until then...Slainte *Raises a glass*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Study this instructional video:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Dyflin wrote: »
    Just looking at the recent troubles in Georgia and the citizenship having to do a runner in advance of Russian tanks, what if...

Ireland was invaded by UK/USA/France/Iceland/Russia/aliens and you were fast asleep in your bed at home. We have a small but determined military who fought valiantly and died brutally. Tanks, planes and artillery are pounding the towns and cities and it's time to go.

What's your escape plan?
    why dont you do like you did when the english invaded? sit there and bitch about it for the next years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

run the french are coming!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Wait O.o' We're practically British? Not sure what part of the country you're from but round these parts you'd be stabbed for saying that. Just saying~ :] Whatever happened to nationalism? Or has the Celtic Tiger ruined that too?

So you're saying we're not practically british? What's you favourite football team? Go to the nearest town and look at the shops. You might find the odd British one or two. What TV do you watch. What food do you eat. I'll bet you don't eat snails or frogs legs? What language are we speaking? Have you ever been to England. It isn't that different is it? Have you been to France or Iceland? They are really different.

We're very similar because they were here long enough and we adopted a lot of their ways.

I always think, it would have been a lot better if the French had invaded. We would all speak great French, love our wine and food. The women would dress beautifully and we'd have great pastries and bread and cheese. And joie de Vivre. But no we had the bad luck to get the English, with their bad food and rather dour outlook on life. Lucky us:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'd put into action operation zombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Echo1

Im ex-RDF and if it came to it id def be leaving my current job to take up my old position!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clinkers

may I take this oppertunity to welcome our new overlords and offer my sevices as governer of the newly freed people of your new serfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 borisbullrunner

find a jeep or truck, pack up wit supplies , rifle and ammo, get as many people as possible, flee to the mountains set up camp. and by night raid the enemies camps if possible. try start a militia. woooo Ireland can never fall. she never has, the brits just thought they were in control... they werent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

I wouldn't do anything. Nothing I could do. I wouldn't go anywhere, where can you go with the sea all around you. Just board up the gaf and be thankful that I haven't cut the grass in 2 years or painted the rusty fence and gate. The car goes in the underground lab anyway - so it would just look like a derelict house.

I'm sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Well an interesting topic indeed...

USA- They'd probably just nuke us so no point planning anything

UK- Best not discuss a touchty subject atm, besides the boys have their hands full in Afghanistan. Go Ross Kemp!:D

France- No worries, they'll run away and surrender.

Aliens- Well clearly if anyone has ever gone to the cinema they'll wipe out the majority of human life, then the unlikely hero or president will overcome impossible odds and coincidences to defeat the alien armada.....

Hmmm, now theres a picture, President McAlesse standing on a burning mothership with a gatling gun, thats the kind of leader i'd vote for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I can't help looking on the negative side.With our new overlords the country would fall into decline almost immediatly,thousands of jobs lost,dole Q's with feck all money at the end of it,people standing in line for paltry food parcels,...
    oh wait,have we been invaded?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Start everyone speaking Irish - that'll freak the absolute **** out of them!

Remember - If we take out the G-Men we take out their inteligence

I reckon it'll look like the first 2 minutes of this video....

enjoy the walt....

although I'm always reminded of the Irish landscape whenever I play Operation Flashpoint...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mercucio

find a jeep or truck, pack up wit supplies , rifle and ammo, get as many people as possible, flee to the mountains set up camp. and by night raid the enemies camps if possible. try start a militia. woooo Ireland can never fall. she never has, the brits just thought they were in control... they werent ;)

hmmm sounds like a film i watched before!?

Advertisement