Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we ever got invaded...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i bet its called red dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd be one of the idiots with Michael Collins and the Wind that Shakes running through my head. Take to the hills with a gun, plenty of ammo and a lock of my beloveds hair.

Ie: Take to the hills with a gun, !@#$ all ammo and die of exposure most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

Nevore wrote: »
    I'd be one of the idiots with Michael Collins and the Wind that Shakes running through my head. Take to the hills with a gun, plenty of ammo and a lock of my beloveds hair.

Ie: Take to the hills with a gun, !@#$ all ammo and die of exposure most likely.
    :pac::pac:
    a little training helps:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goonmaster

remove all the road signs so they cant use their maps!

slapper wrote: »
    :pac::pac:
    a little training helps:D
    I don't think they're recruiting for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm going to answer this seriously - this post is more like a short story!

In the situation that the army were over-run and the major urban centers were taken, I'd take to the hills with my copy of Tom Barry's 'Guerrila Days in Ireland', raid the nearest vacant military barracks for whatever small arms available and pack up the jeep. I'd go deep into the mountains and sleep rough for the first night and dump the arms. That night I'd go round all the adjacent villages and pick out any of the able bodied men but leave a couple to take care of the women and children so as to 'go on the run' or act as a sleeper cell within the jurisdiction of our new overlords.

Guerrila warriors learn 'on the job' so to speak. Since our previous national army would in this situation be executed to a man/woman, we would have a few men and women of military experience. The rest would be rookies and it would take time to learn the intricacies of a Guerrila War. They fight in their local area's and know their terrain to a tee. I'd use that. Another fundamental of Guerrila units is that their first and primary goal is to survive - I'd only ever organise very minor attacks on the enemy, principally for arms or the occasional 'shot' on the new 'snakes' (IE, indigenous collaborative police force). Make it a trial of strength. I'd rely on similar guerrila efforts around the county so as to prevent the enemy from consolidating their resources on taking out my plucky band of 30 volunteers :p

With time, I'd organise a bigger attack, such as an ambush on a mid sized military convoy.

As their reprisals eventually become worse and worse and make an intolerable strain on civilian life, I'd rally the troops, and set up a field GHQ. I'd devise a unique communications pattern (Possibly with the aid of IRA veterans - after all, the enemy of my enemy is my friend) and organise all the national units to prepare for bigger attacks. Hithertoo the entire effort has relied on local iniative, and in this scenario it has been remarkably succesful. Talented men such as myself spring up across the country and organise units similar to my own. I would take the lead in organising them, regularising training techniques, and creating a hierarchal officer control. Local iniative would remain imperative but now at least it would be possible for units to co-operate and collaborate for bigger missions.

At this stage our numbers would swell. International opinion would be aroused.

In the situation that the invaders are some sort of global superpower who effectively rule the world, I would invisage that Ireland's example would spark Guerrila war in other countries. That would take the strain of the occupier off. In the situation where it was an alien invasion, I'd also rely on us adapting to their superior technology and weaponry - and hence the word would spread globally. In the situtation were it was a non EU power, I would rely on our boffins and spin doctors abroad to arouse sympathy for the Irish cause and so force their governments to arrange an invasion of liberation. We would act as the fifth column within Ireland, striking in unison and our small units would converge on Dublin. We would seize Leinster House and restore the Irish Republic.

At this stage, with the enemy on the back foot and their HQ no longer under their control, our entire population would rise up and overthrow the invader. The foreign armies of liberation would gleefully come to the aid of our active service units in butchering mercilessly the remnant of the invading force. No prisoners would be taken (Under the assumption that they were cruel overlords)

Following the glorious war (Which would take around 9 years to go through the 3 phases of Guerrila war and the final stage of open warfare) Ireland would be free once again. A grateful population would demand to make me King - I would graciously refuse and settle down in a small farm in Ulster. At 30 years old I'd be a living legend, a great Irish patriot who refused supreme political power.

I'd then write my memoir.

Upon my death the Irish Republic would canonise me as their national saint; my funeral would attract 40 million mourners. I would become a hero more glorious than Caesar, Napoleon and Saladin combined.

Thank you for taking the time to read the end product of an overactive and vainglorious imagination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Your ideas have been noted and past on to the relevent authoritys ;)

junder wrote: »
    Your ideas have been noted and past on to the relevent authoritys ;)

Make sure to have the caveat, 'Copyright Denerick, that strange chap on boards.ie.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bragadin

it would depend on the invader and the length of time i knew it was coming. It also depends on why we went to war. If we were waging a war of aggression then i probably wouldn't resist an invasion.

If it was the UK/france/usa, i don't think i would resist militantly. Chances are that attitutes at home and cost constraitns would send them home sooner or later, resistance would just make life harder for us. If it was the russians, it could be a differnt story. I'd say even the irish army could defeat the icelanders.

Aliens? Hand me a gun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Boston wrote: »
    I'd put into action operation zombie.

I was going to ask... Is there much of a difference between a Zombie Survival Plan and an Invasion Survival Plan?

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KevinObrien101

Who would be stupid enough to invade our land? After all we are the uncontrollable IRISH!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goonmaster

Well zombies might not have the same tatical skills that would be associated with the military. It would be more like defending yourself from a stampeed of starving animals who want to eat you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I must, of course, point out the existance of this scholarly analysis of such a scenario.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055232811

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bragadin

I'd prefer a zombie outbreak then an alien invasion. If aliens can reach the planet you have to ad least assume they have more advanced technology then us. That doesn't mean they are invincible, it may mean we outnumber them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ball_of_Sex

I'd fend them off with my Johnson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

maybe we should welcome our new rulers! they cant be as bad as the current ones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

Personally I would just turn the other cheek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

So you're saying we're not practically british? What's you favourite football team? Go to the nearest town and look at the shops. You might find the odd British one or two. What TV do you watch. What food do you eat. I'll bet you don't eat snails or frogs legs? What language are we speaking? Have you ever been to England. It isn't that different is it? Have you been to France or Iceland? They are really different.

We're very similar because they were here long enough and we adopted a lot of their ways.

I always think, it would have been a lot better if the French had invaded. We would all speak great French, love our wine and food. The women would dress beautifully and we'd have great pastries and bread and cheese. And joie de Vivre. But no we had the bad luck to get the English, with their bad food and rather dour outlook on life. Lucky us:mad:

No offense man but your talking out your backside. Speak for yourself why don't you. Just because you see a few maplins stores around and a good deal of people follow english football doesn't make us british citizens. We have our own country our own flag our own constitution our own language, heritage, sense of national identity, our own national government and armed forces. We are an independent country, we don't even share the same currency with the u.k in case you haven't noticed. We haven't adopted 'a lot of their ways' We just share the same language as them and watch some of their programs because they share the same language as us. If anything we have more american content on our screens then english.

I've lived in england and the english are not like the irish. I don't mind the english i always find them easy to get along with but don't come on here sprouting *** about how we are practically british. And to answer one of your own questions is england very different to ireland. ammm yes you ever been to london or anywhere else in the u.k?. Ireland is a million times a better place to live then england. Thats why ireland always appears on the top ten lists of countries to live and the u.k never does. Even yahoo's most recent list of best places to live for quality of life ireland was number 7 just behind canada and austrailia.

What language are we speaking? English just like americans, canadians, australians, new zealanders and south africans do. Are they loyal british subjects too. What a stupid point to make. The frogs legs argument man now your takin the p**s. You do realise the french don't eat frog legs for breakfast, dinner and tea. Also you speak like the sun shines out of french people's as((s. You think france is all that go and try survive in a paris ghetto for a night and come back to me and tell me if you see beautiful women prancing around with unicorns and chocolate rivers, ewww la la.

England is a densley populated urban ghetto basically with some nice country spots. Ireland is a beautiful sparsely populated country with a rich culture heritage and sense of national identity. Big difference. By your logic we are now german subjects too because you know all those Aldi's and lidels setting up. What about the burger kings, mickey d's and chinese restaurants. Its called multinationalism. Do yourself a favour lay off the coronation street 'mate' Aowl Rogh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

realismpol wrote: »
    No offense man but your talking out your backside. Speak for yourself why don't you. Just because you see a few maplins stores around and a good deal of people follow english football doesn't make us british citizens. We have our own country our own flag our own constitution our own language, heritage, sense of national identity, our own national government and armed forces. We are an independent country, we don't even share the same currency with the u.k in case you haven't noticed. We haven't adopted 'a lot of their ways' We just share the same language as them and watch some of their programs because they share the same language as us. If anything we have more american content on our screens then english.

I've lived in england and the english are not like the irish. I don't mind the english i always find them easy to get along with but don't come on here sprouting *** about how we are practically british. And to answer one of your own questions is england very different to ireland. ammm yes you ever been to london or anywhere else in the u.k?. Ireland is a million times a better place to live then england. Thats why ireland always appears on the top ten lists of countries to live and the u.k never does. Even yahoo's most recent list of best places to live for quality of life ireland was number 7 just behind canada and austrailia.

What language are we speaking? English just like americans, canadians, australians, new zealanders and south africans do. Are they loyal british subjects too. What a stupid point to make. The frogs legs argument man now your takin the p**s. You do realise the french don't eat frog legs for breakfast, dinner and tea. Also you speak like the sun shines out of french people's as((s. You think france is all that go and try survive in a paris ghetto for a night and come back to me and tell me if you see beautiful women prancing around with unicorns and chocolate rivers, ewww la la.

England is a densley populated urban ghetto basically with some nice country spots. Ireland is a beautiful sparsely populated country with a rich culture heritage and sense of national identity. Big difference. By your logic we are now german subjects too because you know all those Aldi's and lidels setting up. What about the burger kings, mickey d's and chinese restaurants. Its called multinationalism. Do yourself a favour lay off the coronation street 'mate' Aowl Rogh!
    i agree ireland is a very lovely country, but so is scotland,northern ireland wales,and large parts of england,do not look at london,glasgow birmingham ect,and think that is all there is to england,most of the big british cities have a large population of a ethnic background,within the next10 years,so will ireland. yes mate the irish are no different from any of the british countries,that is why irish men and their families came and settled in the uk without any culture problems,and are still comming over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I doubt the invaders could get Fianna fail out of power.

I'd start a Dad's Army Appreciation Society which would morph into a highly tuned bunch of freedom fighters ditherers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Late I know coming back but realismpol, talk about missing the point. It's not even in the same county never mind the ballpark. I never said Irish people were the same as the English anymore than the Scots and the Welsh are the same as the English. We're not, simple as that. We're different. But the Scots, Welsh, English and certain Irish are British both culturally and literally. We Irish are not that different.

Did you have trouble when you went to England? I'll bet you didn't, when I first went there. The only thing that leapt out at me as different was that most people had better cars and the traffic lights work differently. It doesn't feel foreign because frankly it isn't.

As for France, wow I'm surprised to reduce the whole country to an image of a Parisian ghetto. I also surprised to hear that they don't eat frog's legs for breakfast dinner and tea, sorry they don't do teatime, do they? That's a Brit thing. Oh dear!
    England is a densley populated urban ghetto basically with some nice country spots. Ireland is a beautiful sparsely populated country with a rich culture heritage and sense of national identity.
    The English rather think their country is a beautiful, if densely populated country with a very, very rich cultural heritage. Ever hear of Shakespeare? As for sense of national identity, well frankly I wish we Irish had a better sense of identity as Irish, but no it's all about local tribal issues in this country. Dublin v Cork v Kerry v Galway. If we had more a national identity we'd be a lot better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

Ireland is currently occupied by Britain, denying us Independence incase you didn't notice. What is the point of posting fantasy threads about Ireland being invaded when it is already invaded and we are denied our freedom by British troops?? Arise from your slumber.

Fiatach wrote: »
    Ireland is currently occupied by Britain, denying us Independence incase you didn't notice. What is the point of posting fantasy threads about Ireland being invaded when it is already invaded by British troops?? Arise from your slumber.

An occupation that enjoys the majority support and consent of a majority of the people living under that jurisdiction? An occupation that permits and encourages nationalist/Republican participation in the political process, even providing a mechanism for reunification in the case of majority consent for such an eventuality?

I woke up in 1998, you seem to be stuck in 1916.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

Denerick wrote: »
    An occupation that enjoys the majority support and consent of a majority of the people living under that jurisdiction? An occupation that permits and encourages nationalist/Republican participation in the political process, even providing a mechanism for reunification in the case of majority consent for such an eventuality?

I woke up in 1998, you seem to be stuck in 1916.

The six counties does not constitute a majority considering a foreign government drew the boundary creating this 'majority'. Woke up? Looks like you lay down in 1998 im afraid. Your point does not change the fact the border was maintained and defended by British troops occupying a large part of Ireland.

The six counties does not constitute a majority considering a foreign government drew the boundary creating this 'majority'. Woke up? Looks like you lay down in 1998 im afraid. Your point does not change the fact the border was maintained and defended by British troops occupying a large part of Ireland.

But a majority north and south now support the partition. We even voted to give up our constitutional claims.

With regards to the sectarian headcount that led to the six county statelet, this is something I cannot deny... But that was 90 odd years ago. The facts on the ground and which actually matter is that an entity known as 'Northern Ireland' exists and has done for a long enough period of time that makes the historical grievance entirely irrelevant. I could wax lyrical about the historical injustice of the northern Belgians forced to coexist in a federal state with a feckless southern minority, but I won't. You see, its irrelevant. Its not a military occupation when a majority consents to occupation and when the minority are guaranteed political rights and even guaranteed a mechanism to secure their seperation from the 'occupier'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Is it a bird , is it a plane, no wait its a 2 year old zombie thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Is it a bird , is it a plane, no wait its a 2 year old zombie thread an armchair provo!

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just looking at the recent troubles in Georgia and the citizenship having to do a runner in advance of Russian tanks, what if...

Ireland was invaded by UK/USA/France/Iceland/Russia/aliens and you were fast asleep in your bed at home. We have a small but determined military who fought valiantly and died brutally. Tanks, planes and artillery are pounding the towns and cities and it's time to go.

Where would you go and what would you take?

What's your escape plan?

I wouldn't go anywhere. I've seen half of what you listed before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

what does Ireland have that would make anyone want to invade it?

OP, cut back on the cheese ;-)

Advertisement