Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin zoo needs A HAIR CUT ...

Options
  • 15-08-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Ok we went to the zoo yesterday from limerick lovely trip up and i must say it was busy busy up there... alot of young kids and loads to do ..... :(But the place was packed with small children who just could not see into most pens because of overgrowth... their seemed to be alot of bushes and trees which could of been trimmed thus making it very hard for small kids to see into encosures? Maybe its because of the weather lately ... The bushes and shrubs were over grown but everywhere i looked fathers had to lift kids to have a look because they could not see through bushes and hedges? is this the way its supposed to be or was I imaginging it ?

I must say it`s a lovely day out but the places needs a good strimming ?? am I right or wrong ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I was there a few weeks ago. No reptile house. We couldnt find it anyway. The place was filthy with litter. The african plains are a joke! No elephants or giraffes. Wheres all the animals gone? The last few times Ive been there ,they are in the middle of renovations. Whens it gonna be finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

I'm hoping to go this weekend. Are the baby animals all still babies? The Rhino, the Giraffe, the Elephants, the Seal etc? I wanna see the cute babies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

I was there a few weeks ago. No reptile house. We couldnt find it anyway. The place was filthy with litter. The african plains are a joke! No elephants or giraffes. Wheres all the animals gone? The last few times Ive been there ,they are in the middle of renovations. Whens it gonna be finished?

The elephants are in the elephant house and the giraffes are back 2 miles down a field that you can't see them!!! :mad: I have a 3 yr old and i struggle to lift him and the op is right, little children can't see a thing! My son adores the elephants and the viewing points are like little bus shelters!!! Needs attention for sure!

Everyone should leave a comment on the dublin zoo website complaining about the poor view points and maybe they might do something about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

God love the poor 3 year olds! They havent a hope. Im 5ft 2 and I couldnt see anything! Good idea about the zoo website. Ill head there now.

Me too see you there lol

DONE!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Was there a few weeks ago. Reptile house is closed as the area around it is being refurbished. I managed to see elephants & giraffes and thought the place was very clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I havent been to the zoo in so long :(!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I bought a membership recently and have been there twice this year.
    They definitely need to refurbish a lot of the enclosures and public areas, but they've come a long way in the last few years, Elephant enclosure being a prime example, and the restoration of the Haughton House. I do miss the reptile house, though.

Frankly they need more land, but I'd say it'll be a cold day in hell before the OPW just gives them a huge chunk of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

orangutan.jpg

Rhino-2.jpg

elephant.jpg

Siamang.jpg

tiger-sumatran.jpg
    here are some ....
    Great replys . Honestly as I said it`s great day out loads of toilets and rest areas but they really need to tidy the place up ..IT`S VERY OVER GROWN ...

The price was very resaonable also ... 2xadults/2xkids/2x under three was only 42 euros ...

And all the houses were empty also ...it was a lovely day best in weeks actually but we coudln`t see anything through the hedges ... !!:(

The babies are still babies theres a rino lovely little thing which is very playfull that for us was the highlight of the day not sure whats his name does anydoby know the names of the new elephant and rino ?

Thanks, just hope the weather improves now. don't think they've named the Rhino yet and I know Budi is the name of one of the elephants, can't remember the other's though...

• Advertisement

budi thats lovely ... !@!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Da's and Ma's.... bring your kids to Howth, buy some fish, ask the monger for some seal food and let your bin lids throw the fish to the seals! Its way better than the seals in the zoo.

(there is a blind one there, make sure to give him extra fish)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

laurak265 wrote: »
    The elephants are in the elephant house and the giraffes are back 2 miles down a field that you can't see them!!! :mad: I have a 3 yr old and i struggle to lift him and the op is right, little children can't see a thing! My son adores the elephants and the viewing points are like little bus shelters!!! Needs attention for sure!

Oh my god, you poor thing! How DARE the giraffes graze at the far end of their field! How dare the elephants go indoors on what was probably a horrible day!

I can't believe what a selfish opinion you have of the zoo. Do you expect the keepers to tie the animals to the front of their enclosures so your kids can bang on the glass and upset them with loud noises?

Dublin zoo isn't the best zoo i've been to, but it's definitely not crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Speaking of the Zoo. Did you know that the original MGM lion was born in Dublin Zoo?

Slats was his name.

He was born in the Zoo on March 20, 1919 and died in 1936.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

eth0_ wrote: »
    Oh my god, you poor thing! How DARE the giraffes graze at the far end of their field! How dare the elephants go indoors on what was probably a horrible day!

I can't believe what a selfish opinion you have of the zoo. Do you expect the keepers to tie the animals to the front of their enclosures so your kids can bang on the glass and upset them with loud noises?

Agree.

I actually think the place should be shut down and the animals returned to where they belong.

Zoos have no place in modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Agree Dublin Zoo is not crap don't agree though that it should be shut down as it is involved in conservation programmes of animals that are a rarity in the wild and it also provides education and a chance for people to see animals they otherwise would never see.

I do think though that a huge chunk of the park should be given to the Zoo so the animals can have bigger living environments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Really ?
    Those animals could not fend for themsevles in the wild and what are your toughts on the endangered breeding programs the zoo takes part in ?

eth0_ wrote: »

What i ACTUALLY was saying was that the elephants aren't on the african plains they have their own area!! And there are never in the house they are always outside but with the 10 ft fence around them you can't see them! My child is in his buggy and doesn't bang on glass.

PS get out of the other side of the bed next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Agree.

I actually think the place should be shut down and the animals returned to where they belong.

Well that's just ridiculous. Firstly, zoo animals wouldn't last a day in their natural habitat. Secondly, many of them are extremely endangered and that is why they are in zoo's, so that they don't become extinct!

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Agree.

You should read "The Life of Pi", the start of the book has some commentary on zoos, and how people think they are cruel etc etc, but they provide an animal with shelter, regular feeding, safety from predators, constant water source, something they would struggle to find in the wild. Setting an animal free from the zoo would be akin to going to a person's home, taking all their food, water, shelter etc and telling them to run free. Not many would choose it.

Anyway, back on topic. Just back from the zoo there. The baby animals were all so cute. I was very impressed by the new elephant's area, nice and big and spacious. Just shows what Dublin Zoo can achieve with money and space. This is definitely the way to go, even at the cost of the animals not being as close as before. The overgrowth I reckon is to give the animals a greater sense of security from us all gawking in!! They are doing a really good job!

EDIT: PS to LauraK265, YOUR child may bang on glass, but countless others do. Let the elephants roam their spacious enclosure in peace!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

To those who were complaining the elephants weren't in the African Planes; Dublin zoo houses Asian Elephants.

I also agree with giving the zoo more space in the park.

The shrubs are not overgrown, they are to shelter or as someone put it "give a greater sense of security" to the animals, they cannot live in bare conditions.

I think the new elephant enclosure is brilliant. It is one of the best in the world for a zoo, (as opposed to parks...) everything there si designed to keep the elephants busy and challenged. It shows the zoo heading in the right direction.

My one complaint about the zoo, is what I think are terrible, conditions for the Gorillas. They deserve more, and I'm sure that they would be the next thing on the agenda in terms of improvement.

IRcolm wrote: »
    To those who were complaining the elephants weren't in the African Planes; Dublin zoo houses Asian Elephants.

I also agree with giving the zoo more space in the park.

The shrubs are not overgrown, they are to shelter or as someone put it "give a greater sense of security" to the animals, they cannot live in bare conditions.

I think the new elephant enclosure is brilliant. It is one of the best in the world for a zoo, (as opposed to parks...) everything there si designed to keep the elephants busy and challenged. It shows the zoo heading in the right direction.

My one complaint about the zoo, is what I think are terrible, conditions for the Gorillas. They deserve more, and I'm sure that they would be the next thing on the agenda in terms of improvement.
    Definitely agree with you regarding the Gorrillas, they absolutely need more space.

I can't imagine the layout in my head now, but isn't the gorrilla enclosure next to what used to be the Polar Bear enclosure? Could they hollow out the gap between them, join them together, and put a pedestrian bridge above it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have to agree here - you don't realise quite how big the gorillas are until you see them up close and their enclosure in the Zoo is far too small. Theres a few other areas in the old part of the zoo that need renovating too.

The african plains and elephant enclosures are good though and overall I think its a good day out - bring a picnic though, the on-site catering is rubbish and over-priced.

cobweb wrote: »
    I do think though that a huge chunk of the park should be given to the Zoo so the animals can have bigger living environments

+ 1, there is acres of the park that are left as meadow, never used.

I also think the animals should be made work for their food, ie; meat for the big cats should be suspended and moved around on pulleys or something. Anything to make them use their natural instincts and work those muscles. Some of the nicer monkey treats should be harder for them to access, keep those big brains occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

lightening wrote: »

Anything to make them use their natural instincts and work those muscles. Some of the nicer monkey treats should be harder for them to access, keep those big brains occupied.

Well, thats what they're doing with the elephants. they do loads of stuff with them. They bury the food, so the elephants have to find it, then they're intelligent enought to wash it in their water, or they'll place it on tips of branches.

Its keeps the animals occupied for hours, which is good.

lightening wrote: »

Unfortunately, the least-used parts of the park are at the north west end, which is the opposite end to the zoo, but there's plenty of space around the zoo that could be used if the will was there. I doubt that it is, though.

Yeah Igy, the fallow land seems to be miles away from the zoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I believe there are plans in place to vastly improve the Gorillas' area...

Incidentally, that particular troop is very well known in the zoo community as Lena and Harry (female and silverback) have had quite a few offspring in captivity.

To the OP who mentioned the foliage that was "in the way", as another poster mentioned, this is also to give the animals an opportunity for privacy, from both the visitors and in some cases from the other animals in the enclosure. The animals' needs must come first.

I believe there are plans in place to vastly improve the Gorillas' area...

Incidentally, that particular troop is very well known in the zoo community as Lena and Harry (female and silverback) have had quite a few offspring in captivity.

To the OP who mentioned the foliage that was "in the way", as another poster mentioned, this is also to give the animals an opportunity for privacy, from both the visitors and in some cases from the other animals in the enclosure. The animals' needs must come first.

"in the way" was not what I meant. What I said way small children could not see any of the animals because of the overgrowth throughout the whole zoo... understand that the animals need privacy but you have too see the zoo enclosures to understand the whole place is overgrown except the african plains ... It just needs to cater for children between 1-6 if you had a child in a buggy they couldn`t see a thing .... This is a pity see as the childs needs are why you are their in the first place ? !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

líreacán wrote: »
    You should read "The Life of Pi", the start of the book has some commentary on zoos, and how people think they are cruel etc etc, but they provide an animal with shelter, regular feeding, safety from predators, constant water source, something they would struggle to find in the wild.
    Dude! I was just about to mention that book to the PC-brigade in here. It totally changed me from being an anti-Zoo person.

After not visiting the Zoo for 25+ years, I found myself twice there this year.

Can't believe the OP said there was a litter problem. There's bins every 10 meters and I saw plenty of employees going around cleaning up around the place.

Overall a good day out, but they need to start running the little motorised carts for free like they used to do in the 70's/80's. Having to pay extra for the African Planes excursion is a joke.

Advertisement