Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Last Word' Today FM 15 August

Options
  • 15-08-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Just heard Charlie Flanagan T.D. on 'The Last Word' commentating on gun crime in the light of the shooting of a 14 year-old boy in Waterford. I was pleasantly surprised to hear him draw a distinction between licensed gun owners and gun crime. He was calling for more Gardaí and more resources for the Gardaí to tackle crime involving guns and other offensive weapons.

http://www.todayfm.com/sectional.asp?id=881

It was very early in the programme - about 4:35pm. The first commentator mystified me by insisting that the boy had been shot with a pellet gun. Given that he was hit by 50 pellets I had assumed it must have been a shotgun that was used. Strange ...

Anyway, a welcome distinction which Mr. Flanagan has not always seemed to made in the past.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Anyway, a welcome distinction which Mr. Flanagan has not always seemed to made in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised too that he did not come out with his normal drivel.

But he was the one that mentioned licensed firearms and the numbers of them in Ireland as though there was some connection with the shooting that occurred in Waterford. This had nothing to do with the story, put to Charlie it presented an irresistible oppertunity to associate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Yeah, that was weird. He just came out with the number as if by reflex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I sent him an email recently regarding licensed firearms holders and their respect fo the law, he seems very reluctant to reply when facts are put to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

fishdog wrote: »
    I sent him an email recently regarding licensed firearms holders and their respect fo the law, he seems very reluctant to reply when facts are put to him.

Politician you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

When the debate was progressing in relation to the Donegal case I sent a number of e mails to
    Charlie Flanagan
    The minister for Justice
    The minister for sport
    Enda Kenny
    Brian Cowen
    My local TD

and guess what I am still waiting for a reply:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mr Flanagan is one of my local TDs. He seems to have a different tune if a local (i.e. a voter) confronts him on the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get up there and confront him then ASAP 007;):D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I have to agree with Bond's experience, he sings a different tune when he's talking to someone who could give him an oul' vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_J._Flanagan

Just to get an idea of the genetics of the issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'll have to agree with bond's and Civdef experiences too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Going by that wiki info and his backround.Why am I not in the least bit surprised???:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

civdef wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_J._Flanagan

Just to get an idea of the genetics of the issue :)

Wow, that's a bit of an eye opener......

Advertisement