Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace old kitchen ceiling - insulate?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My house has a kitchen extension with no insulation in walls or ceiling. Obviously hard to insulate walls due to cabinets, etc.

Was going to tear down existing ceiling (which has seen better days), and replace it with insulation boards. You know those 8*4 boards with 1.5-2 inches of insulation like polystyrene, with plasterboard attached.
    Can these be used for ceilings as well as walls?
    Should you cut them smaller to share the weight? If so, how small?
    What to use to screw boards to joists?

Appreciate any advice here. Trying to get the kitchen ready for the winter! Was freezing in here last winter.

Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You could use 2 or 3 layers of 60mm high desity foil back insulation - Kingspan, Polycomp or Xatherm.

These sheets can be bought in 8 x 4 size. Easily cut by hand saw and "friction" fitted between joist/rafters.

A circular saw or table saw is excellent for cutting this insulation straight! Put as much insulation in roof, depending on thickness of roof timbers and type of roof.

Staple a 500 guage vapour barrier to underside of ceiling timbers ( Cheap plastic to prevent moisture / condensation in roof)

Slab ceiling with standard plaster slabs to receive a "skim" coat of 3mm thick plaster. Better to screw fix slabs to an existing ceiling!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

RKQ,
    Thanks for the reply.
    So I buy some 8*4 sheets of 60 mm foil backed insulation, and basically cut to fit and push it up in between the joists, right? A couple of layers if I can, depending on joist height.
    Foil facing the top, right?
    Can I get these and vapour barrier in any builder suppliers?
    What size are standard plaster slabs? Can I screw these to joists?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

All vapour barrier & insulation available at your local hardware store.

Plaster slabs normally come in 8 x 4 ft sheets. You can get them 2 x 4 ft sheets ( which are easier to handle, screwing to a ceiling but work out more expensive! )

IMO Its better to buy 8 x 4 sheets and cut them to a managable size. Slabbing is quite easy to do and is rewarding as the house / room starts to look like a habital room and not a building site.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

RKQ,
    Thanks for the help.
    Gonna start this weekend hopefully

Advertisement