Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landslide Above Geevagh

Options
  • 15-08-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

There was a landslide on the mountain above Geevagh the night before last. It's on the road the rally took. I went up there this afternoon just to be nosey and take a few photos!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

My first photo disappeared so here it is! I do have more photos but I'm on dial up, they are mostly of sludge, and life's too short! LOL :D

Look at the trees, though, and see how high the sludge level was as it went past. :eek:

BTW this is GEEVAGH not GLEANN. Nothing ever happens in Geevagh, so it would have been nice if the local radio could have got it right when something actually does happen here! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Sure, Geevagh looks like that all the time:p.

You might just get a few quid to build some roads now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

and theres more heavy rain to gome tonight, could be alot more tahn geevagh affected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks for posting the photos, thats mad. I read about it on www.sligotoday.ie they didn't have any photos though.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the photos, thats mad. I read about it on www.sligotoday.ie they didn't have any photos though.

My dial up can't cope with that website unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It happened there about 20 years back. The football pitch was submerged and only the top 6-8 feet of the posts were visable (bear in mind that they were GAA posts). Geevagh was mentioned several times on Newstalk today. First the World Rally and now this. Geevagh's profile is through the roof:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Holy crap!!

That's mental. *sends photos to parents*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MSGatEase

Just left Geevagh a couple of weeks ago and was just below and across from the field. Did anyone read this?

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhgbcwgbmh&cat=news

Cheers all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MSGatEase

genie wrote: »
    There was a landslide on the mountain above Geevagh the night before last. It's on the road the rally took. I went up there this afternoon just to be nosey and take a few photos!

Where did you take the pictures from? Do you have a spot I could identify with? I'm just nosey and trying to put the landslide in perspective of what I know of Geevagh and the hill.

The curious Yank you probably know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I haven't seen it yet, but I believe the hill behind the pitch slipped down. Turn left as you leave Geevagh heading for Ballyfarnan.

• Advertisement

MSGatEase wrote: »
    Where did you take the pictures from? Do you have a spot I could identify with? I'm just nosey and trying to put the landslide in perspective of what I know of Geevagh and the hill.

The curious Yank you probably know

It was from the Geevagh to Arigna road. I made sure that I stayed on the road as the ground on either side looked extremely dodgy. Drove up there yesterday afternoon and the road is still closed to traffic but you can park and walk up to where the landslide is, it's about half a mile further on.

The road closed sign is at an unlived in modernish bungalow with a cottage next to it on the left hand side and a entrance into the forestry on your right as you drive towards Arigna.

Advertisement