Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Export Orientation Programme

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mr_motivator

Hello fellow jobhunters, I have an interview next week for the EOP. Could any of the people who had interviews already give me an indea of what the interview is like, and what to expect? Any help to prepare would be much appreciated. Also I was wondering are all the jobs marketing/sales based?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Hey Mr. Motivator - is it an interview to get on the shortlist or a company interview? I've only done the shortlist interview and that's not job specific

Hi Gossipgal, it's the interview with IBEC to get onto the shortlist..

Well the interview for the shortlist was fairly standard i think. Best advice I could give you would be to know your cv inside out as that was what i was mostly questioned for and have challenges and benefits that arose from all experiences. As well research the programme and have an idea as to what you want to get out of it. THe interview is really short though - 2 people who were both really approachable and easy to talk to.
    Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice gossipgal..doesn't sound too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 shivishivi

Missing letter in hand!!! Its a yes :). I, like yourselves, have decided to accept. I think its a great opportunity. Keep me informed as to how it goes for you guys!

Congrats shivishivi! Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 princess*

Well done Shivishivi!!!!:D

Just a quick question!

You know when you both accepted the place via email did they reply back to ye at all??

Hey Princess, I was wondering about that myself - they didn't email me back. I think today was the day that we had to email by so they might send out a generic email to all those that accepted after today. That was what I was thinking anyway.

Same here, haven't heard anything!

• Advertisement

Just checking for an update, if anyone has heard back after they sent the email? Was thinking that I would hear early this week

Hi Gossipgal, I haven't heard anything back either :confused: Do you have any idea what kind of notice they give if you are called for an interview, as I'm abroad and will have to fly home. :cool:

Hey, I have no idea what kind of notice they give but I assume you would have enough time to organise travel home, can't see it being last minute! I just really hope there are opportunities with this cause there really are no other programmes happening at home and other than graduate programmes, any jobs are looking for experience. Sure I suppose all we can do is wait and see . . . . with fingers crossed!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HP44

I was on last years list, and I decided to accept the chance to carry-over to this years in the interest of seeing what might come up. Last year I had a total of two interviews, one of which I declined to attend for travelling reasons. I had about 9 days notice for the interview, which was fair enough. However, I was suspended from the list until I was in a position to attend all interviews. Which was just for a few weeks.

Anyway, over the 12 months of the list I had two interview offers. One in sept which went well, but I was beaten to it. The other in oct,which I declined to attend was for a job completly different from my background and language skills. My background isn't in marketing, but I'm strong on languages.

From two friends in the programme who've had different experiences it's hard to say how successful you might be. One guy had 5 interviews before mid July, and 3 job offers and finally took up a place in Germany and is having a fantastic experience. His background is similar to mine, but as German speaker he was in high demand. Although budget cuts in his (large multinational) Irish company means he won't be kept on. Nor will the other EOPs in that company.

My other friend, a very competent and multilingual character had 6 interviews between June-August with weeks of waiting for responses, all of which were negative. She eventually deffered for the year.

I myself have an interview this week for a very appealing position. Being offered the position will leave me in the quite the quandry in having to reconsider plans already made and other opportunities secured.

Anyway, all in all, from feedback over the grapevine last year, on one hand, not many people I knew of got a position, and some had little or no interviews at all.
    On the other hand, some people got nabbed straight after the list went live and had numerous interviews. Depends on how your application looks I suppose.

A career guidance councillor in my college mentioned that the big companies come in first and interview as many as they can and try and pick the best candidates first, and that after sept, it's slim pickings. In my experience, I heard nothing until august-sept. Then after sept, nothing until I was put onto this years list just a couple of weeks back. However By november 08 I had long forgotten about EOP.

Summed up.. Great potential! but absolutely not something you should rely rely on and no garantees of placement, don't hang around too long waiting for interviews. As someone mentioned earlier, it was December before they heard anything.

Thanks for that HP44. I think my enthusiasm for the programme has waned a little bit as I haven't heard anything yet but I think its good to have your eggs in a few baskets in today's job market. Really have no idea what I'll be doing in September if anything at all but am open to anything.
    Best of luck with the interviews! :)

Have had two interviews so far and was just offered a job. I’m undecided as to whether to accept or not as although the position sounds very interesting and is related to my experience and studies I am afraid that a more interesting opportunity with better future prospects might arise, still I’m concerned about taking a chance as I may not be called for another interview! Is it worth risking? Any advice? :confused:

Hey Shivishivi. Congratulations! Have to admit I'm jealous, haven't been called for any interviews at all. Sounds like you're doing really well. I think the fact that I haven't been called for interview would have to influence my advice in that I would say you should take the opportunity. Like you say, you don't know when the next interview will come round.
    I would say that there would be no harm in talking to the eop people. They might be able to give you some indication as to any other potential companies that have approached them, that may be in line with your interests. They could also maybe put you in touch with someone who has also done placement with the company that has offered you the position. Talking to someone that has already completed it, might be able to help you make your decision.
    Once again congratulations and best of luck!;)

Thanks Gossipgirl, I’m thinking of taking your advice and just going for it! Just to let you know, my interviews have been for a specific market where language skills are a definite advantage so I would imagine that is why I have been lucky so far. It’s still early so I’m sure you’ll be called for an interview soon. Stay positive, let me know how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 becks0512

Hi, got onto graduate programme in May 09. Just wondering if anyone has had or got called for an interview yet?

Hey Becks, I'm on the list as well but haven't heard anything from them regarding any interviews or that. Got an email about a postgrad course last week and that was the only contact I've had since I sent an email accepting the placement on the list. Another person who was on here has been interviewed a couple of times and has been offered a job shivishi I think? Comments should be above. My courses would be quite general and it might be the case that only specific business are hiring. I've had a job offer in the mean time from a company that I found myself that I'm accepting cause there doesn't seem to be much on this. It is a year long list as well and I don't want to wait for months before getting an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dblstudent

I was called for an interview a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet. I don't think they need to tell you if you haven't been accepted for a job which is crap! A good few people have found jobs though, at least 18 out of the 30 on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 josephgregory

I know someone struggling to fill a french-speaking marketing role in Canada tru EOP for 3 -4 months!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ByJove

Hi all,

I'll be graduating summer 2012 and will be applying for EOP shortly. I'm really trying to pick jobs I'd like but also opportunities I'd like. I've seen people talking about various countries and some of the jobs and locations really interest me and some not so much. I seen some people talking about work in New York and Sydney for example which I'd be very interested in. Maybe that's for tourism? I'm doing a business and languages degree but think I've a slight preference for getting down to it in the English world maybe, but they'll pick me up on my language skills I'd say.

Any experiences people want to share, advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cunfam

Hi everyone, would anyone here have any further information on how a second language is assessed in these interviews? I would be very grateful for advice as the interview is coming up on Wednesday and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about preparing. Thanks very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Anyone any news? Any past graduates any advice? I'm on the shortlist but no news since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 takemeaway

Hey Newsmequick I'm on the shortlist also and have my first interview next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BMKT

Hey Folks,

I am on this years short list too...I had my first interview with the Jim Bean company Yesterday but no joy. Do any of you know of other companies that have already interviewed?

Hi, I'm on the 2012-2013 shortlist and haven't gotten any word yet. I've emailed IBEC a few times and surprisingly, a number of companies I was interested in haven't hired yet. I know a friend of mine was offered one of the Tourism Ireland jobs abroad.

Anyone get any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marxo

Hi, I'm on the 2012-2013 shortlist and haven't gotten any word yet. I've emailed IBEC a few times and surprisingly, a number of companies I was interested in haven't hired yet. I know a friend of mine was offered one of the Tourism Ireland jobs abroad.

Anyone get any news?

Im on the short list too.
    I havent been contacted for any interviews and email I sent requesting information of if perhaps I should defer my placement have gone ignored, which I found incredibly rude.

I also dont understand why I havent gotten atleast one interview considering I have language skills.

• Advertisement

marxo wrote: »
    Im on the short list too.
    I havent been contacted for any interviews and email I sent requesting information of if perhaps I should defer my placement have gone ignored, which I found incredibly rude.

I also dont understand why I havent gotten atleast one interview considering I have language skills.

Snap! I have language skills too. From what few jobs they talked to me about using those skills - alcohol companies, I wasn't interested. I said I was more into technology and marketing jobs. I've emailed a few times and received little information. I don't think I'll defer though - I'd rather keep leave everything cooking at the same time. Besides, how can you get work if you pull out of everything? Best of luck buddy, I'll update if I get any news.

Advertisement