Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know of a good indian takeaway?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good Indian restaurant / takeaway around Limerick? I have tried 1 or 2 years ago but they were pretty bad. Had a great vindaloo whilst over in the UK so looking for something good close to home!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

may of just answered my own question by reading the thread about the mogul emperor.....must give that a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Try Indira near Punches Cross. Great food and a good delivery service.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

Poppadom around the Milk Mkt is the best IMO. Kebabish on Ellen St is less pricey but pretty good too, nice Naan Kebab rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

rstans wrote: »
    Try Indira near Punches Cross. Great food and a good delivery service.
    And the owner is a top bloke, great chef. Was a tv chef back in india, and set up many top class restaurants for hotel chains around the world. knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

there's a restaurant and takeaway on steamboat quay called mayur tandoori that is very good. The goat starter I found particularly tasty, and something you wouldn't find many places.
    copper and spice is also nice (restaurant and takeaway), which is near the milk market.

I've tried Poppadom and it's good but I think the two I mention above are better.

kebabs are turkish not indian, but I've eaten kebabish as well and it's good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

excellent, some good suggestions there. Might need to up the visits to the gym if i try out all of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

pwd wrote: »
    there's a restaurant and takeaway on steamboat quay called mayur tandoori that is very good. The goat starter I found particularly tasty, and something you wouldn't find many places.
    copper and spice is also nice (restaurant and takeaway), which is near the milk market.

I've tried Poppadom and it's good but I think the two I mention above are better.

kebabs are turkish not indian, but I've eaten kebabish as well and it's good too.

kebabs are both indian and turkish, kebabish is an indian curry house http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Chilli_Kebabish/Menu.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Kebabish is run by some very nice Pakistani gents. Genuinely friendly people. Good spot.

The best kebab imho is at Turkuaz, Cornmarket Sq. Chicken and lamb are good but the kofte is really great. Not cheap but very very tasty. You can eat there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Northside Guy

Chilli Kebabbish on ellen street is very good. I have it from there at least every 2 weeks. Best takeaway for price etc in City

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

no one has mentioned the no 1 Indian restuarant in Limerick Copper and Spice Annacotty....excellent food and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Copper and Spice also do take away at their Cornmarket Place premises.

The place up at Punche's Cross is ok too, next to the Spar shop, I think the place is called Indira or something.

There was also a place out in Dooradoyle too, overhead X-tra Vision, not sure if it is still open though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doc. Hobbit

I wasn't impressed with Copper and Spice in the Cornmarket or that place on Steamboat Quay. Popadom I enjoyed and Mogul Emperor was excellent. I've only had kebabs from Kebabish but if they're anything to go by, then the food may be very good there to, though that is entirely takeaway. Of course, going by the OP, that shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Poppadoms is an excellent restaurant but not your typical indian, it has a fairly limited menu but the food is lovely. The naan breads are the best i've ever had, especially the garlic, onion & coriander naan, delicious. It's fairly expensive too.

IMO the mogul emperor is the best indian restaurant in Limerick. It has an extensive menu and everything i've tried has been delicious. The poppadoms and fresh home made dips are exceptional and the naan breads are almost as good as poppadom's. It's very reasonably priced too...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    Poppadoms is an excellent restaurant but not your typical indian, it has a fairly limited menu but the food is lovely. The naan breads are the best i've ever had, especially the garlic, onion & coriander naan, delicious. It's fairly expensive too.

IMO the mogul emperor is the best indian restaurant in Limerick. It has an extensive menu and everything i've tried has been delicious. The poppadoms and fresh home made dips are exceptional and the naan breads are almost as good as poppadom's. It's very reasonably priced too...

U fat bastard!!:D The Mogul is nice all right, Indian is way nicer then Chinese food too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Clare_Guy wrote: »

I second that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I've eaten in copper and spice and the mogul and I have to say the Eastern Tandoori on steamboat quay beats them all, the mogul is a close second though.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

OwenM wrote: »
    I've eaten in copper and spice and the mogul and I have to say the Eastern Tandoori on steamboat quay beats them all, the mogul is a close second though.
    the eastern tandoori is closed for a couple of years now, cant remember the name of the place that took over, but it isn't a patch on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doc. Hobbit

thedini wrote: »
    the eastern tandoori is closed for a couple of years now, cant remember the name of the place that took over, but it isn't a patch on it.

I never tried the previous incarnation but the present one really didn't impress me, although the menu was very enticing. Perhaps they were just having a bad night but that really shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

have eaten there a few times and its not great to be honest.

For me there is no best indian in Limerick, there are a few that are very good,excellent. eg I think that Copper & Spice does the best madras, Poppadom the best lamb chettinad,naans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

zuroph wrote: »
    And the owner is a top bloke, great chef. Was a tv chef back in india, and set up many top class restaurants for hotel chains around the world. knows his stuff.

got a delivery from here before, was poor enough. take-away/delivery from indians are never near as good as eat-in ime. compared to a chinese, they are usually the same pretty much. as for eat-in, mogul emperor is the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement