Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to Overclock for first time, looking for info

• 15-08-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

I built a pc a before xmas with the aim of overclocking it (which I've never done before) but never got round to it. When I was getting the parts I tried to get one's that would be suitable for overclocking.

So my pc contains:
    Q6600 G0
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

And the ram is:
    Corsair Memory 240-Pin DIMM XMS2-6400 CL5 (4*1gb)

And motherboard is a:
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R

I want to overclock to speed up mkv encoding. I dont want to go overboard, just want to get more juice out of my with the parts I have. PC is mostly used a Media Centre (3*1tb and 1*750gb hardrives).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to some guides that would be straight forward for some one who's never OC'd before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Google "overclocking guide"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Seems there's 3 revisions of that board, have a gander through these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Got same pictures from this forum to show what settings I have:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=234205&page=2

Mine is the same as picture below apart from these:
    apart from the CPU host frequency is 333
    pci express frequency is 100mhz
    system memory multiplier is 2.0
    DRAM timing selectable is set to auto

3.jpg

The 5 options above Normal Vcore are set to normal
    system voltage control is set to manual
    and the Normal CU vcore is 1.26250

4.jpg

Using prime95 (only tried for an hour so far though!), one core reaches 62c, but i didnt seen them got past that while at 100% load.

On cpu-z, the core voltage usually says 1.184/1.200v while prime95 is running at 100% load.

I'll have to check what revision board I have, it was bought before xmas, and cpu-z just tells me its a2.

Now I havent a clue about overclocking and most of the forums I have found assumed people knew everything and didnt explain stuff to a beginner.

So I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if I should be changing any of these settings above or if there is anything I have changed which might be dangerous to my cpu.

I've attached a screenshot of my desktop with programs running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You should be able to get 3.6ghz with that chip, if I'm not mistaken. I would wonder about your temps though, with a voltage bump they will go up.

Advertisement