Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers & The LC

Options
  • 15-08-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm due to do my Leaving Cert next year. However, I want to take on another subject. I'm very good at computers and want to know can I use this talent? I know you can in the LCA and JC but is there any equilvent at LC?

Regards!

ironclaw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

The new Tech graph course makes use of CAD loads i think and you use them a bit in lcvp but apart from that all you need is a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm afraid the only IT subject is in LCA. The closest in the LC would be Tech Graphics as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks folks for the reply's. I do the new Tech course (Its not great, they should make computers a MUCH bigger element)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I think some sort of IT subject would be a very good idea to have on the LC course, especially for people wishing to go into computer courses in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

But just think, by the time they organised it, everything on the syllabus would be obsolete. : p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

You can do technology for Leaving cert now.Well in some schools anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

But just think, by the time they organised it, everything on the syllabus would be obsolete. : p

So true :p It is pretty crazy that there is no real IT syllabus for the LC, being able to use a computer is so essential for a huge amount of jobs. Plus it would be a great easy points subject for all of us who have been tech literate long before LC ;)

Its such a pity. Even the ECDL is out dated.

Can someone in the know confirm you can take Technology for LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

jennyq wrote: »
    So true :p It is pretty crazy that there is no real IT syllabus for the LC, being able to use a computer is so essential for a huge amount of jobs. Plus it would be a great easy points subject for all of us who have been tech literate long before LC ;)

Problem is, a computer course as your are describing would not really be an area of academic study which is what the leaving cert is supposed to be.

It would be more suited to the LCA, which is less an academic exam and more a practical qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

You can do technology in my school anyway so it's defenitely a possibility!:D

But is that at Leaving Cert level and not LCA? I disagree. I think all students should be IT literate at LC level. 95%+ of jobs require some computer knowledge. A Higher Level option could include coding etc. Basic HTML and IP protocols.

EDIT: Got it: http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/publications/LC_Technology_Syllabus.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

ironclaw wrote: »
    that looks a good course.....Could you do it on your own outside of school? What's the project like? What do you have to do?

I'm currently printing and flicking through the sylabus. If you did the new Tech Graf course and Physics, then you are fairly sorted. Then the icing would be a good knowledge of Advanced computers (Beyond ECDL sort of thing)

If anyone finds this course availible for outsiders, to complete in one year, in the Dublin area, let me know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If anyone finds this course availible for outsiders, to complete in one year, in the Dublin area, let me know!

It's in pilot phase so will only be available in a selected number of schools. You could ask the NCCA which schools they are, but I doubt you can do it as an external student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Sean_K wrote: »
    Problem is, a computer course as your are describing would not really be an area of academic study which is what the leaving cert is supposed to be.

It would be more suited to the LCA, which is less an academic exam and more a practical qualification.
    What's really needed is a course in computer science, or bring elements of it into the Leving Cert as a whole. I mean teaching things like binary and hex number systems, programming fundamentals like iteration, selection and definitely include Boolean algebra. It would be good for the maths-oriented, would expand students minds, and generate interest in computer science. We had a debate about this in college earlier in the year, this thread reminds me of some of the ideas

I doubt they can "pilot" a sylabus.Or can they? That gives an unfair advantage to select students. Imagine, a certain schools techy who can waltz 100 points, not really that fair if you don't offer it to the rest of us techy's with a talent. Art students without a palette :) Wouldn't that come under discrimanation?

What about the Institute in Dublin? Do they run a course? I'd pay for it.

karlr42 wrote: »
    What's really needed is a course in computer science, or bring elements of it into the Leving Cert as a whole. I mean teaching things like binary and hex number systems, programming fundamentals like iteration, selection and definitely include Boolean algebra. It would be good for the maths-oriented, would expand students minds, and generate interest in computer science. We had a debate about this in college earlier in the year, this thread reminds me of some of the ideas

I think something like that could have really interesting results. Indeed I have even heard whispers of a move to see the applied maths course expanded to encompass this sort of area, but I'm not going to say any more about that.

I doubt they can "pilot" a sylabus.Or can they? That gives an unfair advantage to select students. Imagine, a certain schools techy who can waltz 100 points, not really that fair if you don't offer it to the rest of us techy's with a talent. Art students without a palette :) Wouldn't that come under discrimanation?
    It may come under discrimination, but only to the extent that, say, a child who can't do Japanese is being discriminated against because his school doesn't offer it. Basically, if you want it, move to a school that does it, or take it on your own time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They pilot new subjects/syllabi all the time.

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote: »
    move to a school that does it, or take it on your own time.
    Anyone know of a school that does it and would allow you do it in your own time?

I do the App Maths course. Best course of the LC!

Advertisement