Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please! - Pub/Small Hotel with nice function room?

• 15-08-2008 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Any and all advice appreciated please smile.gif

Am looking at booking a function room for a small(ish) get together for family and friends following a registry office wedding (again smallish affair) in Clare [Actually Limerick or within easy travelling distance] next November.

We were very undecided but now think it might be a good idea to book a Country pub or maybe a small Hotel with a function room and hopefully a bit of atmosphere/character and are just looking to find one somewhere.

- Numbers are 60-80 I think and if there was room for a band it would be a def. bonus. Food would be as available or else via a caterer [?]

Its for a Thursday night - dunno is that a particularly busy night around the Pubs of Limerick re. 45 or poker nights etc., but heres hoping !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

your best bet would be kearney's aka the barge rooms, lifford road in ennis, closed for renovations at the mo, but they have a good size back bar which can be hired for parties or private events, food music whatever you want, they allow bands and or dj's, can provide dj if you want, they have rooms upstairs for accommodation also, i'd recommend there :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As Bobby said, the Barge Rooms is a good option, but as I presume your getting married on a weekday (I presume with the registry office) why not book out the restaurant of any hotel? As it's November I presume that they wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Other options available to you (I'm getting married next year and I think I've seen every hotel in Clare :) )

Bunratty Castle Hotel.
    Oakwood Arms.
    Templegate.
    West County (Small room).
    Old Ground (downstairs).
    Magowna House Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Carrygerry House a couple of miles from Shannon is lovely. I know they cater for the smaller weddings and it is a beautiful place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Disssgruntled

Thanks a million for all the replies folks - looks like some really nice venues there, have The Barge Rooms as current favourite but we cannot seem to find a contact number to find out when the renovations will be finished and they'll be back in business ? Phone number on website just rings out :(

Any suggestions on how we might get in contact with the owners/manager etc.? Or of course if you happen to know [roughly] when they reopen please say ;)

Thanks again!

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends on the night, if its not the weekend you might be able to get upstairs in steels, the back of Pockets or downstairs in May Carneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I got married in july '06 in the old ground, great to deal with, lovely venue, food is allways, allways good. theres a lovely room upstairs, ideal for your numbers, and the hotel itself just has a real old style, warm feel about it, nice bar too. It would be very nice for a winter wedding, and the rooms on the fourth and fifth floors are virtually new and very comfy(dont know about the other floors). If you're choosing ennis The OG is the best venue in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

r to find out when the renovations will be finished and they'll be back in business ?
    ive heard they'll be open in 6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Carrygerry House a couple of miles from Shannon is lovely. I know they cater for the smaller weddings and it is a beautiful place.

Lovely spot, I eat there regularly and highly recommend it.

http://www.carrygerryhouse.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'd recommend The Old Ground as well. They have the best food. I'd say the surroundings are better for an occasion than the Barge Rooms as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I would recommend Carrygerry also. Plenty of character, lovely courtyard and gorgeous grounds for photos.

Congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Also recommend Carrygerry. Had a family wedding there few years ago and it was an excellent choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Carrygerry is very nice.

The only thing is that the function room is very dark and can be cold. Then again it was nearly 2 years ago when I was last at a wedding there. The food in the restaurant is second to none though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Carrygerry is very nice.

The only thing is that the function room is very dark and can be cold. Then again it was nearly 2 years ago when I was last at a wedding there. The food in the restaurant is second to none though.

I worked there for a few years (years ago), the function room would be lovely with loads of candles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rionach

Hotel Doolin has a small function room. McDermotts (in Doolin) has a back room that can be used for functions - mightn't fit 80 people, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Congratulations

1. carrygerry house
    2. Old Ground Hotel Ennis

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Been to some nice functions at Carrygerry as well, very nice place.

Advertisement