Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As owners of boards, what do they want?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

SteveC wrote: »
    So why invest then?
    Well, what do the founders of bebo.com, facebook.com and friendsreunited.com have in common?

They are all multi-squillionaires right now. Many have sold outright and are sunning themselves on Carribean Beaches as I type. For example, ITV shelled out £150 million to the partners behind friendsreunited.com (bad mistake IMHO, but that's another story).

Social Networking, or P2P sites, are big business, but only with the right weight behind the brand, and branding is everything.

I can see where they want to go here with the boards brand internationally, but it will be interesting to watch if it could be exported outside of the niche village we all know and love as Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

DeVore wrote: »
    The title of this thread is misleading. Daft were offered a minority shareholding in the company. It really doesnt give them much of a say over how things work around here.

DeV.

You were offering a stake or was there knock on the door? Your post is not clear on that?

I think it is great you guys are now getting some (read More) money from boards. Can't quite understand why you chose Daft over someone like an internet provider but I am sure there were reasons.
    There are many complications ahead but I reckon they will be overcome.

Marijuana robs you of ambition but gives you the dreams regardless.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Yes but the big questions are:
    1. When is the merchandising coming out, the "boards.ie" tea cup/tee-shirt/calculator/mp3player/nappy/tampon/shampoo?
    2. Where can we buy shares and for how much?
    :)

(seriously my life won't be complete without my "boards.ie" shampoo. I even have a slogan "Mmm. Smells of troll."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

D wrote: »
    Yes but the big questions are:
    1. When is the merchandising coming out, the "boards.ie" tea cup/tee-shirt/calculator/mp3player/nappy/tampon/shampoo?

T-shirts already covered....

http://www.cafepress.com/boards_ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

*ahem* .... that was me. :):p

DeV.

But it was because Cloud dared you to :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I wont speak for the other admins but I am not looking for a trade sale to Google. I would prefer to build this site into the central site for Irish people online. I'm pretty sure you wont see things like expanded property forums here, I mean, Daft already own 90% of the property market in Ireland, I dont think they need our help. We have given no assurances on return on investment and certainly no timeframe.

DeV.

DeV,

You say that now. But you can be guarenteed that Daft won't sit idling by and be just content with watching their investment mature. They will want input and will want to grow the business into something more tangible / salable. As said before, the Daft guys are going to want a return on their investment. Now I'm pretty sure they're in for the long haul but ultimatly they are looking at the big pay day in 5/10 years time. Be guarenteed of that. Boards might not have given any assurances but be guarenteed that Daft will have their own targets to meet and how quickly they sell out will depend on same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

stepbar wrote: »
    They will want input and will want to grow the business into something more tangible / salable.
    They are not majority shareholders and a hostile takeover wouldn't be on the cards as Boards is a Limited company.

...btw I'm still waiting for the first person to use the word 'synergy' on this thread for the epic fail!...and even better would be 'synergistic'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

They are not majority shareholders and a hostile takeover wouldn't be on the cards as Boards is a Limited company.

...btw I'm still waiting for the first person to use the word 'synergy' on this thread for the epic fail!...and even better would be 'synergistic'.

I never said that Daft would be interested in taking over Boards. All I've said is that in the long term Boards will probably be taken over because of any amount of variables - probably because of the future sale of Daft itself. At the end of the day the right offer always focuses the best of minds. AFAIK, no one person / entity has a majority stake in Boards and therefore anything can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

It's right up there with sustainability.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Sorry folks, but I havent read all the stuff about this merger. My only worry is, and I love Boards, is...............at the end of the day if my page is filled with ads and pop ups and offersof this that and the other I wont be sticking around here. I mean its like watching a film on bbc1 or sky. BBC no ads, Sky every 9 minutes. Thats my simplistic view:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

bug wrote: »
    It's right up there with sustainability.:mad:

How about "dynamic convergence"? :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry folks, but I havent read all the stuff about this merger. My only worry is, and I love Boards, is...............at the end of the day if my page is filled with ads and pop ups and offersof this that and the other I wont be sticking around here. I mean its like watching a film on bbc1 or sky. BBC no ads, Sky every 9 minutes. Thats my simplistic view:)
    I'll be right behind you too!! :)

I think the Daft guys got the idea that popups and interstitials are simply not on the cards here. If they didnt get that idea before now, they CERTAINLY have the message loud and clear now hahah...
    Honestly, I've met all the DAFT buggers (I'm going to call them that from now on :D) and they are very much aware of what they are getting themselves into. We are all tied together as far as shares go, we have all signed contracts to say that anyone selling has to have a form of permission from the others and also offer the shares back to us first. There is no corporate raiding going on here, nor an attempt to "get in on the ground floor". They are good guys, they just want to lasso our rocket and come for a ride with us!

I've no problem with Boards making money, I'd like nothing MORE then to be sitting somewhere warm with a cocktail making a living from watching Boards grow, and thats not completely unlikely; the real point is that we arent willing to sacrafice the community to speed that along a few years. I'm still sitting in Arbour Hill with the rain p*ssing down... :(

We've been doing this for a decade, we've turned down about 18 offers before this to maintain that approach so do you reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly think we would just roll over now?
    We're not the "rolling over" types :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'll be right behind you too!! :)

I think the Daft guys got the idea that popups and interstitials are simply not on the cards here. If they didnt get that idea before now, they CERTAINLY have the message loud and clear now hahah...
    Honestly, I've met all the DAFT buggers (I'm going to call them that from now on :D) and they are very much aware of what they are getting themselves into. We are all tied together as far as shares go, we have all signed contracts to say that anyone selling has to have a form of permission from the others and also offer the shares back to us first. There is no corporate raiding going on here, nor an attempt to "get in on the ground floor".

I've no problem with Boards making money, I'd like nothing MORE then to be sitting somewhere warm with a cocktail making a living from watching Boards grow, and thats not completely unlikely; the real point is that we arent willing to sacrafice the community to speed that along a few years.
    We've been doing that for a decade, we've turned down about 18 offers before this to maintain that approach so do you reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly think we would just roll over now?

DeV.

dude, lets not kid outselves, if you were sitting somewhere warm with a cocktail you'd either be thinking about boards or actually on boards, telling us you're sitting somewhere warm with a cocktail. You can't run anymore DeV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

I for one welcome our new Daft overlords :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Homer wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new Daft overlords :pac:

That didn't take long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Des wrote: »
    That didn't take long at all.

If I had a Boards share for every time somebody said it before him, I'd be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm still sitting in Arbour Hill with the rain p*ssing down... :(

We've been doing this for a decade, we've turned down about 18 offers before this to maintain that approach so do you reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly think we would just roll over now?

DeV.

Inspirational Tom. Inspirational. I for one am ready to man the barricades!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Am I the only person who mentally filters out all subsequent statements by anyone who someone who says "going forward"?

Really, why would anyone feel the need to clarify that they are talking about plans for what people will do in the future rather than plans for what people will do in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its used in business terms as a positive use of language..

no need to be pedantic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've yet to be convinced by the popular belief that brutalising the English language improves ones business acumen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Talliesin wrote: »
    I've yet to be convinced by the popular belief that brutalising the English language improves ones business acumen.

america rules the business world followed by japan

happy now

Advertisement