Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abit of Advice

Options
  • 15-08-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Okay I've gotten 460 in my exams and as some of you may have seen i was posting because I didn't study much, now that i blew my expectations I've realised the courses i applied for are much lower and I'm not really intersted in them and I'm considering repeating, If possible can someone tell me the differnces between and new people on the Irish and English courses and what the German Picture Sequences are like for this Leaving Cert and finally where is the best place to repeat in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

On the English course:

paper 1 does not change.

Paper 2: comparative: literary genre is replaced by general vision and viewpoint. cultural context and theme and issue are still on the course.
    plays: the shakespearean play is Macbeth, other plays are The Crucible, Jane Eyre, Regeneration and Cat's Eye.
    Poetry: Larkin, Mahon, Montague and Rich are still on the course from last year. New poets are Bishop, Walcott, Longley and Keats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

What do you intend to apply for next year? 460 points is an excellent leaving cert result. You could consider reapplying to the cao next year with your 460 points. If you didn't expect to get what you got why would you risk another year if you didn't think you would get 460 in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Valde

Because I actually feel I have the capability of getting far greater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

A *spacebar* bit ;)

Are you doing six honours subjects? If so, then I'd say you could definitely improve on each subject by at least 10 points, provided you are honet in saying that you did very little study. That would make your score 520 points which would be excellent.

Go back over your exam paper and look at all the questions you couldn't do etc. and be able to do the paper inside out is my advice. Then study hard next year.

You could repeat in your own school or the Institute of Education in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

or you could repeat in rathmines,thats what im doing,was in the institute for 2 years and have no intention of paying 5grand to them for another year.my boyfriend repeated in rathmines and trebled his points(he did pretty bad the first time:p)
    also you could maybe go to grinds in the institute,you will basically get the same notes as the full time students.
    i found 6th year a bit confusing in that school as they are forever throwing notes out you in every class and you end up with a bunch of notes you dont need ,some of the teachers arent very good either ,yes some are excellent but some are very bad too

• Advertisement

leesmom wrote: »
    or you could repeat in rathmines,thats what im doing,was in the institute for 2 years and have no intention of paying 5grand to them for another year.my boyfriend repeated in rathmines and trebled his points(he did pretty bad the first time:p)
    also you could maybe go to grinds in the institute,you will basically get the same notes as the full time students.
    i found 6th year a bit confusing in that school as they are forever throwing notes out you in every class and you end up with a bunch of notes you dont need ,some of the teachers arent very good either ,yes some are excellent but some are very bad too

Yea I used to hate the physics teacher Pat Doyle hand out notes and then spend half the class trying to tell the same jokes over and over again :confused:

Yea I'm looking into Rathmines at the moment, do you know if you can do any amount of subjects or if they have to be linked like you can't do Physics and Business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Valde wrote: »
    i blew my expectations I've realised the courses i applied for are much lower and I'm not really intersted in them and I'm considering repeating

Sounds like elitism, snobbery towards low points courses.Points are based on demand, and are not an examination of the quality of the course.

turgon wrote: »
    Sounds like elitism, snobbery towards low points courses.Points are based on demand, and are not an examination of the quality of the course.

Not at all the courses I have chosen are like Analytical science and the likes, which I'm not interested in, If I had been offered some sort of Engineering I would have taken it whether it was level 6 or 8 the fact is I put the course down because I actually thought I'd do really really bad and it seemed an easy option to get in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

Valde wrote: »
    Yea I used to hate the physics teacher Pat Doyle hand out notes and then spend half the class trying to tell the same jokes over and over again :confused:

Do not bad-mouth Pat Doyle. He is one of the best teachers around. I would advise anyone doing physics to get their hands on his amazing notes.

everyones entitled to an opinion NU8, they do tend to throw notes at you without explaining what the hell you need them for ,my geography teacher used to hand us out notes and tell us to read them during the whole hour long class and that was it,every class the same and he would just stand at the top of the class doing nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

leesmom wrote: »
    everyones entitled to an opinion NU8, they do tend to throw notes at you without explaining what the hell you need them for ,my geography teacher used to hand us out notes and tell us to read them during the whole hour long class and that was it,every class the same and he would just stand at the top of the class doing nothing

Was that Michael Doran by any chance? Going into 6th year next month and want to know who to avoid.... The general consensus is that Jim Carberry is the best. Who would you recommend? Thanks

i didnt think michael doran taught 6th year?maybe he does now but my friend had him in 5th year and he was out nearly the whole year ,she always had a free class for geography:rolleyes:
    it was jim carberry im talkin about,his notes are good but you will spend most of the class reading through his handout,he puts work into his notes and then falls asleep in the classes:rolleyes:

Advertisement