Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Opening soon in Ballinamore

Options
  • 15-08-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Ballinamore big enough for a tesco store?? I think Ballinmore would have to be the smallest town in Ireland to have a tesco store!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Links please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

They have a banner outside the door of the Carrick (-on-Shannon. For the Donegal posters) store saying it's coming soon to Ballinamore. I heard it might be somewhere up behing Smyth's monumental sculpters (but I can't remember if that was Tesco but I think so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AV - TEC

Well Smyth's monumental sculpters, moved to the other side of the rd and theres a new ring rd behind where Smyth's monumental sculpters used to be, Brings you out at the canal.

Can't see it doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

There's loads of different types of Tesco's, could just be a small grocery type store.

• Advertisement

I think theres going ot be 50+ people working there, don't no what Sq feet it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's only a few years ago since I wrote in a thread that I couldn't see the likes of Tesco coming to Ballinamore. Times change eh?

It will do well enough, the local SuperValu is investing a couple of mil in their store so they must be worried enough.

Having an anchor tenent like Tesco in a small shopping centre in Ballinamore will hopefully help attract decent traders to the area.

Heard that they are planing one in Manorhamilton as well.

muffler wrote: »
    Links please.

Links not needed. Tesco is opening in Sept in Ballinamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Hey I live in ballinamore and tesco is opening in september as mentioned above. It is a small sized tesco but big enough for the town. It also has an underground carpark and is surrounded by several shopping units so it will be the newest and possibly the busiest part of the town.

The shop is located on the new bypass which will become a major road and will have a lot of people travelling on it.. Its unsure if tesco will be a success but if super valu have put so much money into upgrading their shop they must be scared....

Bring on tesco haha

People nowadays have got fed up of travelling to larger towns just to shop. About 30-40 years ago, small towns like Ballinamore, Manorhamilton, Drumshanbo etc. were in a steady decline as everyone bought cars and headed for the likes of Carrick, Sligo and Enniskillen to do their shopping and business. Many people also chose to bank in the larger towns due to perceived nosiness about their affairs locally. Now things have come full circle. People are fed up of traffic choked towns where it's hard to park. People have tenous links to their banks and may even bank online. Also, most people have been in Dublin, London, Paris etc. and realise that Sligo is hardly the shopping mecca they once classed it as. Small towns are now thriving and the main street in any of them shows that by the amount of traffic in them on a daily basis. Time was Ballinamore was only busy on a Friday or Saturday when all and sundry converged on the town to stock up for the week. Now there's a buzz of activity there most days. It's great to see and long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Anyone take a spin round the new ring road ??
    it's "OPEN"

I did....Very impressive but extremly tight road seeing as it is there to take heavy lorries out of the town??

7 DAYS UNTIL TESCO OPENS....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

rvd156 wrote: »
    I did....Very impressive but extremly tight road seeing as it is there to take heavy lorries out of the town??
    I'd like to see them maneuver the turn at the bridge beside super valu.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I'd like to see them maneuver the turn at the bridge beside super valu.

Yeh its going to be tight for a lorrie if there swinging left back out on to the main road, not so bad if there turning right onto the new ring road.

What if they made it a loop for lorries... Lorries coming into town from say the Carrick Side have to turn right on to the new ring road and if lorries are coming into town from Cavan/Enniskilen the can drive stright down throught the town.

Will take some lorries out of the town and avoid them meeting on the main street!!

AV - TEC wrote: »
    Yeh its going to be tight for a lorrie if there swinging left back out on to the main road, not so bad if there turning right onto the new ring road.

What if they made it a loop for lorries... Lorries coming into town from say the Carrick Side have to turn right on to the new ring road and if lorries are coming into town from Cavan/Enniskilen the can drive stright down throught the town.

Will take some lorries out of the town and avoid them meeting on the main street!!
    I think they're supposed to do something with the bridge to accommodate them.

They have yet to add a round about at the top of the town across from Gala and they have a major job to do at the bridge at the bottom of the town in order to add a round about there.....They have to remove some of the bridge which is gonna be a big job.....:D

Oh and they say they cannot do the bridge until the new school is built so we will probably never get a roundabout hahaha
    super serial you guys
    :D:D

Sounds like it's as well as that sounds like a lot of messing. Major traffic controls shouldn't be built somewhere like that. It'd ruin the look of that end of the town. Or if it's a small roundabout, it'll look o.k. but be a total nuisance.
    If they stopped people double (and treble) parking on the street, they wouldn't need to take traffic out of the town.:D

Tesco is offically opened you guys....So exciting.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You will all have to keep an eye on the Bargain Alerts forum from now on.

• Advertisement

Well what are you all thinking of the new tesco?

Is it open 24hrs? Shopping at night ftw:).

il gatto wrote: »
    Is it open 24hrs? Shopping at night ftw:).
    Not yet anyways.

Anyone else think the staff in our new tesco are extremly rude???

I have heard so many people complaing that they don't speak or make any sort of conversation and are extemly rude....

Anyone else think the staff in our new tesco are extremly rude???

I have heard so many people complaing that they don't speak or make any sort of conversation and are extemly rude....
    I've heard several times that the manager doesn't treat them very well but thats just speculation..........

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kelly7589

I've been to Tesco in Ballinamore a few times and find all the staff (especially female staff) to be very pleasant and friendly!

Don't get me wrong there is a few of the staff that are pleasant enough....But I could pick out a lot that are not....Which includes some of the female and male staff....

Just saying...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Anyone else think the staff in our new tesco are extremely rude???

I have never had anyone speak to me in any store unless it's to tell me how much I have to pay at the till.....

As for rude..... what gives you that idea?, I went in there yesterday and they were polite, if they were in your way stacking the shelves, they simply moved out of your way and gave a smile, the girl on the checkout greeted me with a smile....

I seriously doubt that the place will last til Christmas. They've already scaled back on employees. The place just doesn't have enough throughput. Supervalu is still cleaning up. Tough times ahead for Tesco as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

The whole site is a complete disaster. Yer man, who developed it, is never going to shift those empty units at the front.

Supervalu will still get the bulk of locals doing a 'small shop' and eniskillen will still get the customers doing the 'big shop'.

I won't be suprised if Tesco closes after Christmas.

Advertisement