Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On honours maths...

Options
  • 15-08-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I would really like to take honours maths next June but I heard about some changes in the maths course for 2008/2009 so does anybody know if I'm still okay to study only from Text & Tests which I bought last year?

Although I've been told I can still apply as a mature student for the degree I want to go for in my university of choice it was conveyed to me that I would only really be considered with honours maths.

I would like to take classes part time or full time which will start sometime in September but I feel I will be lost unless I revise the Junior Certificate maths books first. I will be working full time for the next 2 weeks before switching to part time so maybe if I cram the chapters from the first *3 books I would be ready to attend classes when they begin?

If I take full time classes is there anywhere that caters for mature students?I'm 24 and I would feel like an idiot sitting in a class of 16/17 year olds.

I'm a bit lost so if anyone can give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

*Is it just Text & Tests 2 and 3 for honours level?

Comments

Did a quick search of examinations.ie but didn't see anything pop out about it (although it was 1997 when the last maths syllabus was changed). So I'm not sure - perhaps it might be good to ask over in the Teaching / Lecturing Forum? I think there's a few maths teachers there and they'd know better than anyone.

Your local VEC will probably run classes for people in Maths/Irish/whatever in the evenings during the year. Since the school year is starting soon it might be worth getting in contact with them shortly. Alternatively there are the grind schools who run adult education classes for the purposes of people getting their Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I heard something about a pilot scheme coming in to make maths more relevant. I thought though that it might be introduced at junior level first and then senior. I'd say there are no changes to the 2008/09 leaving cert because there is nothing on the examinations.ie website. I'd say you are safe with T & T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for the info and sorry for the late reply. I'm going to make a post in the teaching forum as suggested as to be certain. VEC evening classes and adult grind schools were mentioned and I'm wondering if there is much difference?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

For those who are wondering, this year 2008 / 2009 there is a pilot scheme in operation in 24 schools, namely "Project Maths". This does change the Maths syllabus somewhat, but it won't be introduced for all students for a few years yet...an the exams won't change until after that. So it's status quo for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

LA3G wrote: »
    I would like to take classes part time or full time which will start sometime in September....

http://www.plunketcollege.ie/ have a part-time honours maths course starting next Monday (22nd Sept). The class will consist of 90 mins on Monday evening and another 90 mins on Wednesday evening.

Give them a call and see if there's still spaces available..

Regards,

J.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys, I really do appreciate it a lot.
    http://www.plunketcollege.ie/ have a
    part-time honours maths course starting next Monday (22nd Sept). The class will consist of 90 mins on Monday evening and another 90 mins on Wednesday evening..

I went and spoke with someone in the VEC about it last week and they went off for a few minutes and returned with the news that Plunkett's is the only school her colleague is aware of that hold an evening honours maths class. Unfortunately she also told me that the class may not even go ahead because of the lack of students applying.

I rang Plunkett's this afternoon a few times but the phone rang out so I shall try again tomorrow and failing that I will go see them on Thursday. If the class does go ahead with relatively few students it would actually be a benefit as far as I'm concerned because the teacher would have more time for each of us etc.

Whether or not the course will go ahead aside the only other thing that worries me now is revising the entire Text & Test's 1 and 2 books before the 22nd. I only work 3 days a week but even at that and working full out on my days off through those books completing all the exercises it would take me a few weeks I think. I'd almost be tempted to enroll in the class but not attend for a few weeks until I felt ready but that surely can't be the correct course of action...

Hindsight is a great thing. If I do one thing before the end of this school year it must be to obtain a mark greater or equal to a C3 in honours maths :P What should I do?

LA3G, I just got a call from Plunkett College informing me that the course has been put back a week (now to begin on 29th instead).

She said they're trying to get more students, and that she'll ring me again if there's any problems.

They better not cancel. I've paid my money, and getting into college next year has everything to do with me getting a grade in honours maths.

Will let you know if I hear anything more. But I suggest giving them a ring as soon as possible to let them know you want to enrol. You'd be doing us all a favour (if it means the class will go ahead)

LA3G, I just got a call from Plunkett College informing me that the course has been put back a week (now to begin on 29th instead).

She said they're trying to get more students, and that she'll ring me again if there's any problems.

They better not cancel. I've paid my money, and getting into college next year has everything to do with me getting a grade in honours maths.

Will let you know if I hear anything more. But I suggest giving them a ring as soon as possible to let them know you want to enrol. You'd be doing us all a favour (if it means the class will go ahead)

I was onto Plunkett's about 10:30am and I spoke with a lady named Anne who I think must be the receptionist. I really want to meet with someone to discuss the course so she told me I could come tomorrow morning anytime before 11am to speak with the night course director.

I voiced my concerns regarding the VEC's information that the course may not go ahead and she said she hadn't heard anything. I'll keep you apprised of what I learn and of course I'm sure you'll do the same :)

As daunting as the notion may be, have you considered what you will do if the course doesn't go ahead?

Well, I'll be forced to study the course myself if that's the case. As no other colleges cater for Leaving Cert Honours Maths, on a part-time basis.

You mentioned Texts & Tests books. Any idea what one I should pick up?

If you compare our situation to that of a Leaving Cert student, it's not that bad, considering the fact that we only have 1 subject to focus on before the exams next year, as opposed to 6 or 7 (shudder :eek:).

Yeah, I'll keep you updated if I hear anything more. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Well, I'll be forced to study the course myself if that's the case. As no other colleges cater for Leaving Cert Honours Maths, on a part-time basis.

I will study alone if that is my only option but fortunately it's not. Just in case Plunket's class doesn't go ahead I went into the Institute of Education on Leeson Street today. They offer 1.5 hours a week on Fridays 5:30pm-7:00pm, or Saturday 9:00pm-10:30am/10:45am-12:15pm/12:30pm-2:00pm. €905 paid in advance or two installments starting with €550 and then on Jan 30th €479. The price reduces depending on how late you start and so far they've only had one class.
    You mentioned Texts & Tests books. Any idea what one I should pick up?

T&T 4 (green) is for HL LC, T&T 5 (blue) is also for HL LC. Did you get a book list from Plunket's? I know I didn't so I'm not even sure if they're using this series.
    If you compare our situation to that of a Leaving Cert student, it's not that bad, considering the fact that we only have 1 subject to focus on before the exams next year, as opposed to 6 or 7 (shudder :eek:).

This is true, I'm going to put my heart and soul into it.
    Yeah, I'll keep you updated if I hear anything more. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Okay, so I met with their guidence counselor Tom Heinz this morning and he told me that even with my enrollment they will still need another 2 or 3 people and even at that they won't break even. He said the class could begin as early as the 29th or as late as October and that he'll accept applications for another two weeks.

The teacher is new to the college but is a former engineer with a masters in mathematics.

If money wasn't a factor and you had the choice would you take the 1.5 hour Institute class over the 8/9 student class of 3 hours with Plunket's? I mean how good can it really be.

If anyone is interested you can contact Plunket's on 01 837 1689 and it will cost you €395.

• Advertisement

Just received a call from Plunkett College there...

The class is definitely going ahead on Monday 29th! :D

Did you enroll? Maybe it was your enrolment that made them decide to go ahead with the class! If so, thank you!

Advertisement