Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit Card and consumer issue

Options
  • 15-08-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a camcorder(display model,last one)was assured the box was outback and to pay.Payed by Debit card €300.Box with leads,books and battery could not be found.They cancelled the debit transaction but was then told would have to wait 4 days for my money back.
    (1)what were my rights regarding the item i had purchased if i did not take refund
    (2)I now cannot puchase a camcorder for another 4 days as i have not enough money left in my card even though i need one this weekend.Is this right as mistake was not mine.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

ninty wrote: »
    Recently bought a camcorder(display model,last one)was assured the box was outback and to pay.Payed by Debit card €300.Box with leads,books and battery could not be found.They cancelled the debit transaction but was then told would have to wait 4 days for my money back.
    (1)what were my rights regarding the item i had purchased if i did not take refund
    (2)I now cannot puchase a camcorder for another 4 days as i have not enough money left in my card even though i need one this weekend.Is this right as mistake was not mine.

(1) If you didn't take the refund and accepted the camcorder, it would have been reasonable to expect that the shop would have supplied you with the missing leads/box/books/battery as soon as possible OR a set from a different box (if available; I assume there wasn't as you said it was the last one). Your rights would have been unaffected - what would you have been expecting?
    (2) The 4 day holdup isn't the shops fault; they cancelled the transaction straight away, the problem is with the bank in that case. You could try ringing your card issuer and giving them some grief about it (don't know if it would do any good tho...)

Some info on refunds: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-complaints/replacements_refunds_and_credit_notes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it takes time for a refund to get put back into your account and there's nothing the shop can do about it. Borrow the money for a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Went back up this morning as power city rang last night saying they would do a deal on another camcorder.Saw this guy who could not be more helpful,found box after good search,took €50 off price and gave free camcorder case for our trouble.Faith restored until further notice.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Glad to hear it all worked out ninty!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

And thanks to you Spocker for your informed reply,much appreciated.Is that the same Sam Vimes thats Sergeant of the Watch Ankhmorpork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ninty wrote: »
    Is that the same Sam Vimes thats Sergeant of the Watch Ankhmorpork?
    Ah lads. . get a room ! :D

Advertisement