Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guardian Footabll Weekly Podcast is back!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

"THE GAME" is better.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i disagree.

the guardian has a better presenter, better panelists, covers all major leagues in europe and is a hell of a lot more entertaining

i disagree.

the guardian has a better presenter, better panelists, covers all major leagues in europe and is a hell of a lot more entertaining

Guillem Ballague owns whoever works for the Guardian. By definition, it is impossible for the Guardian to be good at anything, other than seeing to the welfare needs of Gunatanamo inmates.

Ballague also has a droll American sidekick, a cynic, the sort of guy you need to cut thru the Spivvery and Chicanery and get right down to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats so nonsensical I'm not sure what you actualy posted there.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats so nonsensical I'm not sure what you actualy posted there.

Mike

Okay, basically what I am saying is that the Guardian is a serious newspaper that tries to approach serious issues in a serious manner. Its kind of odd that such a serious outfit could possibly approach football in a manner that was anything other than formal and very proper.

Football needs to be laughed at, not pored over scientifically.

Bill Shankly kind of alluded to what I am saying when he said that Football was not a matter of life and death, it was more serious than that. Shankly was being sarcastic, a point most people never get.

• Advertisement

Football Weekly is noted for its satirical and wry content, how could it be anything ele with James Richardson plus the likes of Barry Glendenning and Raph Honigstein? They know thier stuff and impart it without coming over as (too) nerdy.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally I much prefer Balague to anyone on the Guardian podcast, though Richardson is excellent too.

Glendenning is unlistenable for me. Can't stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Personally I much prefer Balague to anyone on the Guardian podcast, though Richardson is excellent too.

Glendenning is unlistenable for me. Can't stand him.

Wow. I love the guy. He's arrogant, certainly, but he's just so witty. The interaction between himself and Richardson on the Euro 2008 podcasts was cracking fun. I also like the heavy Irish presence on the Guardian podcast.

I must check out the Game, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tbh I think his arrogance has a lot to do with my disliking for him. He goes on as if he he's God's gift etc when the plain fact of the matter is he's talking about Premiership football (amongst other things of course). It's hardly ground breaking stuff to comment on United's chances of winning the league or Liverpool's failings. Most people posting here could do that to the same level.

Well done to him for getting paid to do same then!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Most people posting here could do that to the same level.

no, definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Guardian podcast by a mile for me, Jimmy Richardson is a legend and Sid Lowe is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I listened to last thursdays podcast and i think i heard James Richardson read out a post by a mister Mike65 Ireland:eek: Well mike was it you?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

None of the podcasts mentioned so far talk about honesty of effort or moral courage.

Football with John Giles on Off the Ball ftw.

Badabing

That was me! (famous for 15 seconds)

Mike

Advertisement