Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Upholstering a Couch

Options
  • 15-08-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Has anyone had a couch re-covered in leatherette and has it been successful. I have a two seater couch that I want covered. I've received a number of quotations however one company told me that they would not recommend leatherette as the seat cushions could continuously slip off the base of the couch. He also mentioned that he would not be able to cover the piping around the edges and this would take away from the overall look. He recommended Draylon, I thing however draylon is a bit hick, the couch is for a playroom for our two small kids. Any comments welccome.

Maureen1:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Text is too small to read. forgot my glasses
    most people post in size two .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Firstly getting anything re-upholstered can far exceed the price of a new couch and unless you have sentimental value I'd recommend getting a new couch.

Leatherette has some qualities of leather but at a fraction of the cost but also at a fraction of the quality. It will have the appearance of leather but the material strength is only equal to fabric. And over time depending on use will start to crack and expose the cloth below the PVC. The upholster was right leatherette is not as easy to work with and although the piping could be done, its not going to look great.

Draylon is a lot stronger and if you get a dark colour you should get a long life far more than Leatherette.

I guessing to get a couch recovered,

20 yards at €10 per square yard= €200
    Labour and materials(foam, rejointing) =€400
    Total cost €600

I'm sure you'd buy a real leather couch for €500-800

On another note there's a lot of cowboy Upholsterers out there and are really only 3 piece suite makers make sure you get a qualified person that know about piping and buttons and strapping its not just the outside that needs recovering the inside straps may need replacing, and the foam may need replacing also.

Personally I'd buy a new couch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Maureen Egan

Thanks for the sound advice, I'll take it on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Maureen Egan

By the way namesco, you were spot on all 3 quotes I got were for €600. They all told me the couch is good quality and well worth covering, its very comfortable. All things considered I think I'll go for the draylon cover, I'm told the couch will look like new and I could get 20 years out of it. The guy I'm using is in the business years and is well recommended. Thanks again for the advice.
    Maureen

Advertisement