Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education in Dublin ??... anyone

Options
  • 15-08-2008 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hey,

Have any of you guys repeated LC or spend a year in a grind school or in the Institute of Education in Dublin ??, are grinds school worth the money, Teaching etc??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I don't know why this belongs in UCD but yes I went to the Institute for 5th and 6th year a few years ago. I, personally, thought it was great. Teaching was brilliant, bar one teacher. Got me 580 :)

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

That was fast!! Did you select any of the accommodation that the school was offering you? I don’t live in Dublin. But anxious about what it like to live in dublin. And also I don’t know any one going to school there to Repeat. Did you know anyone before you started? Tell me about the teaching etc. What is the teachers like?? etc. Is it hard to make friends in it ?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

No to the accommodation question - I lived about 40 minutes away by bus. I knew a few people before I went. It depends on the person really - there are quite a few who are repeating. I was talking to the vice principal before I left and he said there were about 150 people who were repeating the L-C.

Classes are reasonable in size - In subjects like Maths they have fast paced honours classes, for those aiming for an A1. Those tend to be smaller than regular honours classes, which can be nice (they also have that for chem, French, and Irish). The Maths teacher is actually brilliant. You also have a choice in some subjects as to which teacher you want. You have four different teachers for English. Nearly every teacher I had was really nice and good at communicating the subject matter. That's about all I can think of.

Friends wise - I was in 5th year in the IOE so I knew quite a lot of people before I went into 6th. I found most people to be friendly - some people seem to be stuck on the idea that everyone who goes there is snobby and stuck up, that really isn't the case. Well, I don;t think it is but I've been called one before so meh. Just keep an open mind and don't act stupid and you'll be fine ;)

PM me if you want a list of what teachers to take, I don't really want to post a list of names - I'm fairly sure that's against the charter.

Advertisement