Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The new avensis what do ye think ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

... peugeot 407.

Unless there is a new 407 out, i really can't agree with that. The entry models are bland, and the engines are completly powerless, even the "powerful" 1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

unkel wrote: »
    VW: my first impression was it looked similar to the VW Passat. Don't ask me why though!

+ 1, I think the windows make it look like the Passat CC. All it needs is another chrome strip.

http://autoshow.roadfly.com/wp-content/gallery/2009-volkswagen-passat-cc/passat-cc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

9080226.019.1L.jpg

I personally think its a huge step forward, and it aint bad looking either
    It doesn't look great. The bonnet is too short which makes the back look bulky. The current avensis are as common as muck there are so many of them around. Why do toyota put small wheels under a big car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

The car that you see on the photo is a photoshop enhanced picture. The ones in the test world are under heavy disguise. Yes, the one on the photo looks like a Passat I agree.
    We will have to wait until Geneva auto show (March 2009 I think) or if luckier even earlier to see.
    In the Toyota forum (UK) one guy who works in the manufacturing site posted a few impressions on the new Avensis but than got scared and edited (deleted) all his posts to do with the new Avensis. He said that:
    engine line up is the same as current Avensis, the new zr type engine is likely to be available next year sometime, in the auris too. no hybrid engine is planned.
    there is now talk of a 2 door coupe version, not confirmed though yet
    out of the 4 pics you posted the top one is the closest, not sure on exact measurements, but the estate (wagon) is slightly longer. i cant sit there measuring the car at work, they would ask questions, then i would probably get the sack, i aint risking that
    he was referring to the one posted here
    the interior is nothing like the auris one (thank god) , it does have a start button like the auris though on some models.

On the engines, someone corrected the "insider"
    They really cannot use the current petrol engines which are outdated and paired with 4-speed automatics. I would expect the 1.8 liter Dual VVT-i from Yaris and the 2.0 litre Valvematic, which is already available in Japan.

The Auris already has a ZR-engine, the 1.6 petrol. What are you referring to?

There is actually a coupe version of the current Avensis (built on the Avensis plattform), it´s called Scion tC:

I hope it turns out to be a nice looking a well built car.
    From the present family cars (i.e., Mazda 6, Mondeo, Accord or Superb), my money in January might go to Mazda (if they make a 2.0 L engine in the Sports trim available here). I am hoping that Avensis may surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

regedit wrote: »
    From the present family cars (i.e., Mazda 6, Mondeo, Accord or Superb), my money in January might go to Mazda (if they make a 2.0 L engine in the Sports trim available here). I am hoping that Avensis may surprise me.

The Mazda will always be a less ubiquitous and sporty choice as well as a better steer. A 2.0 petrol in Sport mode? That sounds like it could be a very good car but I can imagine getting short shift come trade-in time (given Ireland's continuing obession with getting the biggest car with the least powerful engine possible).

I reckon the 2.0D and definetely the 170 bhp 2.2 D will get the Sport trim for 09. Unless Mazda take pleasure in throwing away Irish custom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I've completely gone off Mazda 6's. They're just so chromed up and blingy, I'd much prefer an old style Accord now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

@regedit

Wrong, That is a photo of the production model

The rear is very similar to the new 6, its a cracker in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

They'll still all be driven by taxi drivers....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MarkN wrote: »
    They'll still all be driven by taxi drivers....

And i'll still never sit in a taxi:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

definitely sleeker/ better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

im surprised that its a photo of the saloon is being shown, as normally any UK press photos or scoop photos are of hatchbacks. Its like as though the saloon never existed because nearly everyone in the UK buys hatchs and estates more than saloons.

pburns wrote: »
    The Mazda will always be a less ubiquitous and sporty choice as well as a better steer. A 2.0 petrol in Sport mode? That sounds like it could be a very good car but I can imagine getting short shift come trade-in time (given Ireland's continuing obession with getting the biggest car with the least powerful engine possible).

I reckon the 2.0D and definetely the 170 bhp 2.2 D will get the Sport trim for 09. Unless Mazda take pleasure in throwing away Irish custom.

I spoke to Mazda Ireland a few days ago and they said that they were considering their options but even if they do release the 6 in a Sport trim, one will not be able to order it be4 January 2009.
    @regedit

Wrong, That is a photo of the production model

The rear is very similar to the new 6, its a cracker in my opinion
    I really do not know this but the above pic has been around since February 2008. Looks fine for me TBH

read this on youtube:
    The car is coming to the UK December 2008 But may be launched officially Q1 2009. The Dealer network will get it before December as production in the UK Derbyhsire plant has just started. The car will be available in Diesel T180 6 speed auto too for the first time and I have seen the actual un-masked car... it looks excellent actually!!
    Everything you say is right. I've seen it unmasked as well. Beauty. Drives even better than how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The Scion TC is a beautiful car..which is amazing as I never liked the Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If Toyota make a beautiful Avensis I will well and truly eat my hat, Toyota is one company that has an uncanny ability to engineer out desirability, I don't expect this to be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If Toyota make a beautiful Avensis I will well and truly eat my hat, Toyota is one company that has an uncanny ability to engineer out desirability, I don't expect this to be any different.

Which is why they (Toyota) led the manufacturers sales with something like 15% of all new car sales in Ireland in 2007 with Ford being the next closest at about 11.5%.:rolleyes:

Clearly, those purchasers didn't desire the cars at all!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Avns1s wrote: »
    Which is why they (Toyota) led the manufacturers sales with something like 15% of all new car sales in Ireland in 2007 with Ford being the next closest at about 11.5%.:rolleyes:

Clearly, those purchasers didn't desire the cars at all!!
    What rubbish - the majority of people buy something to get them from A to B, that is economical and has a reputable name. If the public had any idea about desirability then Nissans wouldn't sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ninty9er wrote: »

I aint likin that one bit.Imagine what the base model will be like when toyota ireland are finished with it:eek::eek:.I ussually hate "promo" shots of cars before theyre released.There so misleading!!!In the end, the base models look little like the pictures.I cant wait to see the opel insignia with hubcaps on it, for example!!!

kbannon wrote: »
    What rubbish - the majority of people buy something to get them from A to B, that is economical and has a reputable name. If the public had any idea about desirability then Nissans wouldn't sell!

Rubbish? :confused: I think you've shot yourself in the foot there.

Desirability is a broad term. People have a desire to get from A to B, economically and without a breakdown! This is as important as the aesthetics of a car and contribute to its desirability. Indeed the aesthetics of anything (or anybody for that matter!) is a matter of personal choice. While nobody would deny you your right to class the Toyota range as bland or whatever, other people might consider them aesthetically pleasing.

Thank God we're not all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kbannon wrote: »

Well the only thing that sells for Nissan is the Qash Cow. The Micra doesn't sell in large numbers anymore, the Primera is dead and the majority of Tiddas tend to be driven by tourists. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote: »
    Well the only thing that sells for Nissan is the Qash Cow. The Micra doesn't sell in large numbers anymore, the Primera is dead and the majority of Tiddas tend to be driven by tourists. :pac:

To my horror I saw real people driving Tiida's in Kerry last week....that's right...more than one:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hagster

It's sh!t....it's a fcuking toyota.

Such an informative 4th post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hagster

Why thank you, don't want to raise the bar too high here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Avns1s wrote: »
    Rubbish? :confused: I think you've shot yourself in the foot there.

Desirability is a broad term. People have a desire to get from A to B, economically and without a breakdown! This is as important as the aesthetics of a car and contribute to its desirability. Indeed the aesthetics of anything (or anybody for that matter!) is a matter of personal choice. While nobody would deny you your right to class the Toyota range as bland or whatever, other people might consider them aesthetically pleasing.

Thank God we're not all the same.

With your username I appreciate that you are probably going to be a major Avensis fan but...

Yes, Toyota and Ford sell lots of cars, Penneys sell lots of knickers, it doesn't mean a woman will look sexy in them! :p

Toyota do not make desirable cars, end of. They make good cars, nobody is saying they don't but I've never looked at one and said God I would love to own one of them someday. That is the point Unkel is making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Any reason why nissan never released the new model maxima here- it has been out 3 years else where - quite good looking IMO.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Any reason why nissan never released the new model maxima here- it has been out 3 years else where - quite good looking IMO.

Big barges from mainstream car makers have never sold well in Europe. Without the "premium" badge they struggled and not seen as a profitable venture anymore. Cars like the Camry, Maxima, Omega and Scorpio depreciated like a stone.

With your username I appreciate that you are probably going to be a major Avensis fan but...

Incorrect assumption!:p
    Yes, Toyota and Ford sell lots of cars, Penneys sell lots of knickers, it doesn't mean a woman will look sexy in them! :p

Don't be sexist!! The people who are concerned with "desirable" cars aren't always more desirable because they own one.
    Toyota do not make desirable cars, end of. They make good cars, nobody is saying they don't but I've never looked at one and said God I would love to own one of them someday. That is the point Unkel is making.

Look, bottom line here is that "desirability" is a subjective thing. I accept that there are a number of people who consider themselves knowledgable in cars, enthusiasts even, and they don't consider Totota's, Nissans, Skoda's etc (the list goes on and on) as desirable cars. Others choose those cars because of their functionality and quite a number of people actually like the look if that's the narrow definition we're being forced to use for "desirability". Unfortunately, they're not generally the people that will take the time to express their opinions in places like this.

If we are taking that narrow definition, do you really think that the manufacturers care about the "desirability" of their cars so long as they sell well and make loads of money for them?

Whatever the new Avensis looks like, it will sell well regardless of its look as did the Avensis 2 (current model), Avensis 1, Carina E and II before that. They were also described as bland in their class but did very well for Toyota.

For Toyota and the new Avensis, the biggest thing I would worry about (to try and bring this discussion back on topic) is the emissions. If Toyota rely on the old engines without modification, they are not the cleanest and put the car into a higher VRT and road tax class than many others in the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ninty9er wrote: »

Thats an american toyota if I've ever saw one.
    The front end won't look like that when they release it in europe.
    For some reason some car manufacturers always round up the front end for the american market (e.g. the present US civic saloon).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement