Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N96 out in september...

• 15-08-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

....allegedly.

but here's the kick in the nuts:
    its on 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

funny thing is I'm Reading this on the iPhone and can't highlight the spoiler. Another reason to ditch this over-hyped Piece of cellular tech! (Although I don't know of another handset that could highlight the Spoiler!)
    Apologies to 120 minutes. Was not meant to be a highjack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

sorry for you poor iphone users, its gonna be on 3 (at least at first)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I can read the spoiler on my w910i and guess what.........its on 3.

Thanks guys. Really am begining to question my purchase of the 3g iPhone(launch day). Had both N95's and it's the problem of the grass being greener. Lookin' @ the INNOV8 now, along with w980i but to be honest, I think I need mental help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Not much mental help...but a crutch: w980i...don't! It's an overpriced sexed up w200i... Or w "fill in any number"!!! For the simple reason alone that SE's "flagship" walkman again comes with SE's notorious headphone adapter instead of a 3.5mm socket! €30 sony walkmans have real earphone sockets, but those €500 phones don't? Shouldn't be supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It'll probably be at an exorbitant price on 3. They want €325 to upgrade to an N95 - and that's not even the 8GB version that all the other networks are doing here.

I just googled it and it doesn't specifically mention 3 ireland who are always way behind the other 3 countries so don't expect to see it here any time soon.

e.g. Three UK have the N95 8GB with no upfront cost. - They only list the N95 on the upgrade page. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

the n96 isn't all its cracked up to be. I've used a prototype and perfer the n95. Plus i think they use the same battery as the first n95 rather than the bigger 8gb battery so battery life may be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No WiFi and only assisted GPS.:(
    I think I'll be keeping my N95 for another while.

trust me! It has both WiFi & a GPS hardware chip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Obskure wrote: »
    trust me! It has both WiFi & a GPS hardware chip!

What does that mean?
    The hardware is in the phone but knobbled in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

It has both as you can see here in the spec page: http://europe.nokia.com/A4797549 (expand the explore section)

Built-in GPS receiver, with support for assisted GPS (A-GPS)
    WLAN - IEEE802.11 g/b with UPnP support

I think that the poster before me thought that the Assisted-GPS in the N96 was the same as the 1st iPhone i.e. Cell triangulation. I was just trying to re-assure the guy that the GPS was in fact hardware.
    On your 2nd question, the GPS and WiFi should not be disabled. I think that has not happened in a European Market yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

It being on 3 is great news for me, Im expecting my upgrade around december so this could be a nice present around christmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭trellheim

mixed reports of battery life being dire ... any updates ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

1huge1 wrote: »
    It being on 3 is great news for me, Im expecting my upgrade around december so this could be a nice present around christmas time.

As per my post above, don't hold your breath waiting to see it appear on 3 Ireland.

Dont touch the N96!
    Nokia will do the exact same thing they did with the N93 and N95

I got burned shelling out a fortune for an N93 when it first came out only to see the improved N93i released after a few months
    And same thing with N95...to N95 8gb which I had the sense to wait for :)

Wait until they iron out all the bugs with the N96 and throw in a decent battery and release the N96i 24gb or whatever they decide to call it.

As per my post above, don't hold your breath waiting to see it appear on 3 Ireland.

I was told by a staff member of a 3 store who i'm friendly with. they're getting the n96 as they passed on the n95 8gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I was talking with someone on vodaphone and they said they are getting the N96. That was about 2 weeks ago.

I'Mm looking to upgrade my N70 but the N95 is still too expensive and i imagine the N96 will be just as expensive :mad:

IM looking for something with WIFI and built in Maps. Maps that i dont need to be on the Network.

Edit Have a look at this one on EBAY been sold in Ireland €300 but no GPS or WIFI

Hows that?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/nokia-n96-unlocked-new-and-boxed_W0QQitemZ330262951063QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

yayamark wrote: »
    I was talking with someone on vodaphone and they said they are getting the N96. That was about 2 weeks ago.

I'Mm looking to upgrade my N70 but the N95 is still too expensive and i imagine the N96 will be just as expensive :mad:

IM looking for something with WIFI and built in Maps. Maps that i dont need to be on the Network.

Edit Have a look at this one on EBAY been sold in Ireland €300 but no GPS or WIFI

Hows that?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/nokia-n96-unlocked-new-and-boxed_W0QQitemZ330262951063QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    AS fake as a three euro coin. I'd stay well clear

I sent him a question asking was it a genuine n96, as a genuine one would have gps and wifi. lets see if he lies or ignores me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

But he's an Irish seller. Surely they wouldn't lie. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

yayamark wrote: »

Same as, but probably a different friend ;) They are testing it at the mo and expect to have it out September / October time...

All of which is useless to me on o2 :(

Soundman wrote: »
    But he's an Irish seller. Surely they wouldn't lie. :p

he replied saying its a chinese one, and that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. still not worth it at that price, but i wonder if i hadn't asked and wanted to buy it, would i have been told.....

Advertisement