Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid wirless router for Smart

Options
  • 15-08-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey, I'm just about to order smart telecoms broadband for use during college by me and four other (technophobe) flatmates. My question is can anyone recommend a robust wireless modem/router? From what I have heard the AoLynk wireless router supplied by smart has been problematic for people. While the option of using a separate router (like the Linksys-WRT54G running DD-WRT), while reliable and feature rich, seems messy, I would prefer to have an all-in-one solution. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I'd be keener to use a separate router in AP mode, especially a box running DD-WRT. You can bump up the RF power and the likes of a WRT-54G offer TNC detachable aerials so you can change them for higher gain ones.

Plus you can leave your modem where it is connected to the phone-line and position the AP for best reception. Either way you're gonna have to extend "a" cabe whether it be a RJ-11 or RJ-45 termination if you need to reposition. CAT5 is that bit more robust than phone cable too.

dabs.ie do a Buffalo with DD-WRT preinstalledfor 60odd quid I think

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I dont think that Smart are providing the Aolynk anymore.

It might be an idea to visit the Smart forums and ask users there for any suggestions as to modem/routers they have found to work well.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

**IF** you have a problem with your connection and you have to contact Smart... they may not give you support unless you are using one of their supplied modems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness to Smart you will normally get plenty of support in the support forums from either other users or Smarts own teccy people.

Advertisement