Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRFU bid for the 2015 and 2019! Even better so do Jamaica!

• 15-08-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

RB confirm 2015 & 2019 host bids
    John Smith
    South Africa captain John Smith with the 2007 World Cup

The International Rugby Board has confirmed that 10 unions have formally expressed an intention to host the Rugby World Cup in 2015 or 2019.

Australia, England, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Scotland, South Africa and Wales have confirmed their interest in the 2015 tournament.

Australia, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Russia, Scotland, South Africa and Wales are keen on hosting in 2019.

The 2011 Rugby World Cup will take place in New Zealand.

"This is tremendous news for Rugby World Cup," IRB Chairman, Bernard Lapasset, said.

"The fact that 10 member unions have signalled their intention to tender for the 2015 and 2019 tournaments reflects the growing global prestige of the Rugby World Cup.

"The IRB Council will announce the RWC 2015 and 2019 host unions in July 2009, six years prior to the first tournament and 10 years prior to the 2019 event," added Lapasset.

"This timetable reflects the scale and nature of the preparatory work in delivering this world class tournament."

So who's up to going to Jamaica then with the poverty assinations and oh an Irish team getting a unexpected win wahey!

All messing aside i would like the 2015 RWC to go to Japan and the 2019 to Italy.

But we all know that its going to end up 2015 England 2019 South Africa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

The International Rugby Board has confirmed that 10 unions have formally expressed an intention to host the Rugby World Cup in 2015 or 2019.
    Australia, England, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Scotland, South Africa and Wales have confirmed their interest in the 2015 tournament.
    Australia, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Russia, Scotland, South Africa and Wales are keen on hosting in 2019.
    The 2011 Rugby World Cup will take place in New Zealand.
    "This is tremendous news for Rugby World Cup," IRB Chairman, Bernard Lapasset, said.
    "The fact that 10 member unions have signalled their intention to tender for the 2015 and 2019 tournaments reflects the growing global prestige of the Rugby World Cup.
    "The IRB Council will announce the RWC 2015 and 2019 host unions in July 2009, six years prior to the first tournament and 10 years prior to the 2019 event," added Lapasset. "This timetable reflects the scale and nature of the preparatory work in delivering this world class tournament."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7564403.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Haha we somehow managed to post at the EXACT same time!:P

Stev_o wrote: »
    Haha we somehow managed to post at the EXACT same time!:P

Cheers Stev_o now the mods will keep my one open as it has more replys than yours. :p;)

Cheers Stev_o now the mods will keep my one open as it has more replys than yours. :p;)

Oh shhh mine takes the mick out of Jamaica so it must be the better one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I think this is a rather ambitious move by the IRFU.

Based on RWC 2007 they need 12 stadia with a minimum capacity of 30,000 to run the tournament. While not outside the realm of possibility, there's no doubt that it would require the co-operation of the GAA to be feasible. Leinster and Munster could have home stadiums that meet the criteria, but I don't think Connaght and Ulster currently have the support base or resources to justify grounds this big. If the Maze stadium in Down gets off the ground, after Lansdowne and Croker the remaining seven grounds would have to be GAA upgrades, as it's a waste of resources to build brand new stadia that won't support themselves. As it is I think the shared model of Lansdowne Road/Stade de France is the way to go, as there's no point in having a standalone soccer stadium in a country the size of Ireland.

Personally I would like to see 2015 & 2019 granted to the games developing nations, as hosting the WC in the old guard is a waste of time from a promotion point of view. Japan have to be a shoe-in for 2015 after they were shafted by the IRB for 2011. I'd go with Italy for 2019, although I'd have preferred if Japan were 2011 and Italy 2015.

• Advertisement

juvenal wrote: »
    I think this is a rather ambitious move by the IRFU.

Based on RWC 2007 they need 12 stadia with a minimum capacity of 30,000 to run the tournament. While not outside the realm of possibility, there's no doubt that it would require the co-operation of the GAA to be feasible. Leinster and Munster could have home stadiums that meet the criteria, but I don't think Connaght and Ulster currently have the support base or resources to justify grounds this big. If the Maze stadium in Down gets off the ground, after Lansdowne and Croker the remaining seven grounds would have to be GAA upgrades, as it's a waste of resources to build brand new stadia that won't support themselves. As it is I think the shared model of Lansdowne Road/Stade de France is the way to go, as there's no point in having a standalone soccer stadium in a country the size of Ireland.

Personally I would like to see 2015 & 2019 granted to the games developing nations, as hosting the WC in the old guard is a waste of time from a promotion point of view. Japan have to be a shoe-in for 2015 after they were shafted by the IRB for 2011. I'd go with Italy for 2019, although I'd have preferred if Japan were 2011 and Italy 2015.

Surely the proposed bid would involve Wales and Scotland playing their pool matches at home and possibly a quarter final in Cardiff as well so that would be another 2 stadia.

Surely the proposed bid would involve Wales and Scotland playing their pool matches at home and possibly a quarter final in Cardiff as well so that would be another 2 stadia.

I would imagine so, but they also made bids themselves.:confused:

Perhaps they each bid on the basis that the other two would stage some matches if a bid was awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lol. threads merged.

juvenal wrote: »
    I would imagine so, but they also made bids themselves.:confused:

Perhaps they each bid on the basis that the other two would stage some matches if a bid was awarded.

Aye I'd imagine so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote: »

Good point. I've travelled entensively around NZ and while I was impressed at the quality of the local clubs' facilities, they lack the infrastructure at the moment for an event like the RWC.

List of stadia for RWC 2011 (from Wiki)

City|Stadium|Capacity
    Auckland|Eden Park|63,000*
    Christchurch|AMI Stadium|50,000*
    Wellington|Westpac Stadium|40,000*
    Dunedin|Dunedin Stadium|30,000*
    Hamilton|Waikato Stadium|30,000*
    Auckland|Mount Smart Stadium|30,000*
    North Shore City|North Harbour Stadium|25,000
    Dunedin|Carisbrook|32,000
    Rotorua|Rotorua International Stadium|35,000
    New Plymouth|Yarrow Stadium|24,000
    Napier|McLean Park|22,000
    Tauranga|BlueChip Stadium|20,000**

* capacity for 2011.
    **If the new Dunedin Stadium is not built in time, BlueChip Stadium in Tauranga would most likely take its spot as one of the eleven hosting venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ireland were the deciding vote in Japan losing out on 2011, solely so NZ would come and be the first opponents in the new Lansdowne Road - just another reason why I despise the IRFU, self indulgent *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 theheartofalion

theres too much politics in these decisions.

its better that one county hosts all the matches. how daft was it that france had to play their quarter-final last year in cardiff? all because wales supported france's bid.

japan should get a go, italy, or argentina... what a huge boost that would be for the game there... there were enough grounds in wales for all the matches to be held there in 1999.

you need 1 county to hold it get the feeling of a soccer world cup

Argentina - it would be sublime, and a massive boost for a nation which has the potential to become a powerhouse in world rugby if given the right support, which sadly, its not. Another possible Romania on the cards?

Italy, well you could see France getting a pool and some of the home nations likewise,

but Japan, can you see the IRB letting it happen? For one, I cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Japan moew or less has all the facilities in place as it is and is a developing nation in rugby. For me there is no contest on who should get the RWC in 2015. I think they might get it too. (I hope)

2019 is a tough one but again, I think it should be Italy. I don't think Argentina would be capable of running a world cup with the state of their union, let alone the state of their country (politically).

Any hope at all of Ireland getting either of these? We'd seriosuly want to pull a few stadia out of our arse if we did get it cause there's sweet fa in place at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

Wouldn't be able to do it on our own. We'd need to include Wales and Scotland Stadia similar to when Wales hosted the World Cup and we played our group games in Landsdowne. Chances are the North will have a stadium built so we would then have Landsdowne, Croke and Limerick as stadiums that would meet the criteria. Not enough. Could possibly include a couple of GAA stadiums, Carlow, Thurles, Cork all have decent stadium with a bit of money invested by the IRFU to upgrade them then maybe GAA would accept. But then we have to think of the infrastructure. Will we have it in place? At the moment it's a joke especially Dublin where majority would be staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

Why couldn't we host it on our own .... ?

Yes it would need serious co-operation with the GAA and redevelopment of a number of their stadia but let's face it, it could be done. Think of the longer term benefits for both Rugby and the GAA, a better standard of ground, proper training facilities for both codes to use. For Rugby itself it would stimulate development of the game at a grass roots level, get kids interested in playing. I've lost track of the number of threads lamenting the fact that there isn't a great development programme in place, that all the provinces are buying in the talent restricting the development of the younger players.

Yes, I agree it would be great for the development of the game in Italy or Argentina, but it would be immense for the game in Ireland, it would bring a whole host of games to the masses, bringing high quality games to people who struggle to get to Internationals.

Outside of the game itself the longer term benefits for Ireland Inc itself would be huge, it would give a boost to the construction and tourism industries as the necessary infrastructure would need to be put in place so this would stimulate the economy. We've got to step away from our collective inferiority complex and believe that we are capable of hosting a global event.

I do actually hope that the IRFU are putting in a serious bid and are not just using this as a ploy in order to get group games and/or a quarter final on the back of a scotish or welsh bid.

Well we'd probably need about a 30,000 capacity stadium built in Dublin maybe, but that would leave 3 (and the 2 largest) in Dublin so that wouldn't be ideal.

We would probably need another ground built in either Belfast or Galway of a simular capacity. (The reason I say either of those 2 is that at least it would mean the ground would be there for the province after the WC to adopt as home or for big interpro games / GAA / European games)

And we'll even assume the North develops a new national stadium.

That would give us 6 decent size grounds (Croker, Lansdowne, Northern Ireland National Stadium, Thomond + 2 new purpose built stadia) and then we would need to develop 5 GAA stadiums.

Perhaps Semple Stadium in Tipp, Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, Pearse Stadium in Galway, Nowlan Park in Kilkenny & Monaghan GAA ground, but all those GAA grounds need SERIOUS work. They might hold a lot of people, but they are more or less just slabs of concrete around a field and would need major redevelopment just to be at the minimum acceptable standard.

It would take massive investment from the IRFU, GAA would have to agree to foot some of the bill for the redevelopment of their grounds and the Government, who haven't a penny to spare would have to make a major contribution for this to work.

We've always neglected sporting facilites in this country and I don't think we're in a position to change that now. Maybe if we started about 8 years ago we could have done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

to be honest i think the stadiums in France were nearly too good, because when it came to lesser sides playing, the stands were full of the French locals-which I' not against, but it's better when the majority of the stands are from the countries playing.

Personaly I can't see Croker being allowed, let alone any other GAA ground. so-we have:
    Lansdowne-50,000
    should the Maze Stadium go ahead-38,500
    Thomond-26,500
    Ravehill-is it 19,000 after it's redevelopment?-im not sure
    RDS-18,500

some may find some grounds too small, but i dont see any point playing to small teams against eachother in a large stadium and bringing in a rent-a-crowd! 5 grounds isn't enough anyway-even if you throw in Millenium Stadium and Murrayfield, so we'd need to build 2-3 of those downgradable stadiums, like the London Olympics are doing, i.e build an 80,000 seater and downgrade it to 25,000.

In any event,i'd love to see the World Cup here-and I hope we manage way to get it, but like most I'd also like to see smaller rugby nations get a chance to promote the game in their country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

London to bid for RWC 2015, Bonkers Boris reckons it'll be a goer.....definitely has its attractions in that half the poulation of the SANZAR nations already live there...;)....personally I like it, an entire WC in a relatively small geographical area...easy for most folks to get to and should be able to handle numbers, stadia requirements with ease...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7578206.stm

Ah but sure, isnt it all about getting the AB's to open the new landsdowne road, never mind a shambolic world cup, lets just hope the likes of Georgia beat 'Ireland' come 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

Apparently the IRB wants 100 million pounds for 2015 hosting and 120 million for 2019. I can't think of many unions who could afford the risk of being able to cover this from profits.

Apparently the IRB wants 100 million pounds for 2015 hosting and 120 million for 2019. I can't think of many unions who could afford the risk of being able to cover this from profits.

I didn't know the IRB were now the IOC :confused::mad: Joke money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

if the irfu could rent croke park, then we will have enough stadiums for a joint bid, and lets say they upgrade donnybrook to a 25,000, thomond park could be upgraded from 28,000 to a 35,000 seater stadium by 2015 or 2019. A joint bid would be the way to go thats what left down france2007 for me having matches in cardiff and edinburgh doesnt do it for me,
    1.croke park
    2.landsdowne road
    3.maze
    4.thomond park
    5.musgrave
    6.donnybrook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

johnnyc wrote: »
    if the irfu could rent croke park, then we will have enough stadiums for a joint bid, and lets say they upgrade donnybrook to a 25,000, thomond park could be upgraded from 28,000 to a 35,000 seater stadium by 2015 or 2019. A joint bid would be the way to go thats what left down france2007 for me having matches in cardiff and edinburgh doesnt do it for me,
    1.croke park
    2.landsdowne road
    3.maze
    4.thomond park
    5.musgrave
    6.donnybrook

Better than anything New Zealand could manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Forgetting ravenhill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Don't Leinster have a long lease on the RDS though? Would that be terminated if Donnybrook got a massive overhaul?
    Italy would be excellent. Loads of fine stadia, good infrastructure for the most part, good food and perfect weather at that time of year for good rugby. And a home team that's on the cusp of being a top tier team for ages. Would help development there no end.
    Having said that, for all Irelands status as a top nation, we haven't won a trophy of note since 1985, maybe we need the kick up the ar5e a RWC would bring. Seeing as we're regarded as a world power in rugby(:rolleyes::D) and rugby is only the fourth most popular sport in Ireland, a RWC could be seen as a way to make us consistantly competitive with the likes of NZ, SA, Aus and France. Maybe that would be more beneficial to rugby than boosting the likes of Japan from 16th to 11th or whatever in the world rankings.
    Agree on Argentina standing to gain alot in the same way as Ireland, but I can't see it with their sh1tty Union structure and political rollercoaster.

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    Don't Leinster have a long lease on the RDS though? Would that be terminated if Donnybrook got a massive overhaul?
    Italy would be excellent. Loads of fine stadia, good infrastructure for the most part, good food and perfect weather at that time of year for good rugby. And a home team that's on the cusp of being a top tier team for ages. Would help development there no end.
    Having said that, for all Irelands status as a top nation, we haven't won a trophy of note since 1985, maybe we need the kick up the ar5e a RWC would bring. Seeing as we're regarded as a world power in rugby(:rolleyes::D) and rugby is only the fourth most popular sport in Ireland, a RWC could be seen as a way to make us consistantly competitive with the likes of NZ, SA, Aus and France. Maybe that would be more beneficial to rugby than boosting the likes of Japan from 16th to 11th or whatever in the world rankings.
    Agree on Argentina standing to gain alot in the same way as Ireland, but I can't see it with their sh1tty Union structure and political rollercoaster.

While we haven't won a tournament since before I was born (being an Irish fan sucks sometimes :P) we've consistently over the last 8 years or so been one of the best teams in the world. We were probably in the top 3 (in fact rather than IRB rankings) for a couple of seasons. So we are quite competitive.

I'd love to see the next one go to Italy, because it really would be the perfect - stadia, development, etc. Nice place helps too. Then maybe Ireland, Scotland and Wales or just us alone for the 2019 one.

If we couldn't develop sporting infrastructure in this country when we were one of the richest countries in the world, we certainly have sweet FA chance of doing it now.

Lansdowne and Thomond managed to sneak in at the end of the boom, but we spent 10 years trying to sort out a new national stadium, plus there are no guarentees that the very wealthy and extremely comfortable GAA would want to participate in putting together the biggest ever promotion of a different sport in this country.

That leaves us with 2 stadiums guarenteed. One only big enough for group matches and one probably too small to host a world cup final. Good luck putting that one together.

Plus there is very little future development potential for RDS and Donnybrook. The only reason Leinster are playing in RDS is because they tried and failed to get planing permission (and land acquisition) to develop Donnybrook into a c. 20,000 stadium. (being funded by an apartment development that would be worth next to nothing now compared to then and failing to purchase a tennis club at the back who refused to sell up, despite a very genoures cash offer plus land to relocate...and that tennis club is required for the second main stand opposite the existing one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Welcome back.

Dave do you just come back from the wilderness every time someone thinks that New Zealand have better facilities then us :P

While we haven't won a tournament since before I was born (being an Irish fan sucks sometimes :P) we've consistently over the last 8 years or so been one of the best teams in the world. We were probably in the top 3 (in fact rather than IRB rankings) for a couple of seasons. So we are quite competitive.

I'd love to see the next one go to Italy, because it really would be the perfect - stadia, development, etc. Nice place helps too. Then maybe Ireland, Scotland and Wales or just us alone for the 2019 one.

We've been a distant second to the top teams throughout our "golden generation" with sporadic wins and noble defeats in one off tests. We've won nothing apart from notional trophies that someone donated a plate for because they felt sorry for us (Triple Crown). The potential was/is there, but it never seems to come to fruitition. That's why I think a WC would be great.
    Still think Italy is the best possible location. Massive potential to make rugby big in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

If ireland were to host either 2015 or 2019 world cups where would the matches be played? we only have four decent stadiums: ravenhill, landsdowne road ,croker and thomand what would we do?? Share??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

If ireland were to host either 2015 or 2019 world cups where would the matches be played? we only have four decent stadiums: ravenhill, landsdowne road ,croker and thomand what would we do?? Share??:confused:

Yes with either wales or Scotland probably

As someone already pointed out - you've got the RDS too, Windsor Park up north could be added into that potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

As someone already pointed out - you've got the RDS too, Windsor Park up north could be added into that potentially.

Whats the capacity of Windsor Park??

Windsor Park is just over 20,000 at the moment. We would need the GAA to support any sort of a realistic bid. If they got money for major works on the likes of Nowlan Park, Pearse Stadium and The Gaelic Grounds, you never know. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

look the gaa and irfu have a good retalionship in these times. (cash is king.) The gaa still have a debt on croke park so the gaa would make additional income from tickets and so on... Northern ireland have plans for the maze prision or else they will redevelop winsdor park... The irfu as an organisation have done alot of good in the professional era, stadium redevelopments thomond park. This bid would be in 2015 or 2019, so the country has enough time to redevlop and develop stadiums. look lansdowne road will be finished by 2010 or 11. The maze or winsdor park should be finish at the latest by 2013( i hope). Look this country has massive advantages over others the main one we never have hosted a rugby world cup, we could use it as some kind of reconcillation between north and south (god i am thinking too much about this :) )like they did in south africa and last it will leave a lasting impression on the country as whole.

Advertisement