Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squad Numbers

Options
  • 15-08-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Squad numbers announced. First team squad of 20. as follows

1 - Heurelho Gomes
    2 - Alan Hutton
    3 - Gareth Bale
    4 - Didier Zokora
    5 - David Bentley
    6 - Tom Huddlestone
    7 - Aaron Lennon
    8 - Jermaine Jenas
    9 - Dimitar Berbatov
    10 - Darren Bent
    11 - Gilberto
    14 - Luka Modric
    16 - Chris Gunter
    17 - Giovani dos Santos
    20 - Michael Dawson
    21 - Cesar Sanchez
    24 - Jamie O'Hara
    26 - Ledley King
    32 - Benoit Assou-Ekotto
    39 - Jonathan Woodgate

all the deadwood have lost their shirts, or at least their numbers. With 7 subs, 18 of these will be listed tomorrow. Even allowing for a couple of signings, with one probable departure, there won't be much cover for injuries and suspensions, not to mention league cup and europe. I presume this is Ramos making a clear statement about the MINIMUM required level to feature in his squad. We really have come a long way in four years. Then we had Atouba, Zeigler, etc. Since then, Rasiak, KPB (no shirt for him) but no more. There will be no more filler players, no more obvious dunces. This is the best squad since 87, and we may be genuinely ready to threaten the big clubs. I'm not saying top four, but consistency and wins over the blue and three reds are necessary, and I think possible with this group.
    So, bye bye Ghaly, KPB, Staltieri, Rocha, LYP. I'm not sure what Rocha did really, but Staltieri and LYP always tried, and Ghaly I felt a litle sorry for until he compounded the shirt fiasco with his Birmingham antics.
    I hope the cover will be Dervitte, Peckhart, and co. The kid who played in Holland looked good. Maybe Mourinho was right, you need a squad of 23 players of real quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

I really agree, its pulling together real nice now. What a major difference from this time last year, when there was gaping holes in our midfield and defence, it's not perfect but for the most part they've been filled and it just feels really vibrant.

I'm not expecting breaking the top four, (If they do you'll see me pissed in a fountain somewhere screaming I told you they would!) but I am expecting fifth place. Last season was just a glitch in our steady progress towards cl football and if anything, more was learned in a season of mistakes than would have been from another fifth place finish. Dead wood is gone, lots of fresh faces with talent.

I'm expecting a concisive win today against Boro and for us to be in a strong position in a couple of weeks going into the Chelsea game.

COYS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

So can we take it for granted now that Lee, Ghaly, Boateng and Stalteri are definitely on their way? Well we've had worse left-backs then Lee to be fair and I hope he does well wherever he goes. And I'll always have great time for Stalteri for that goal against West Ham..

Advertisement