Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another clocker shocker :o

Options
  • 15-08-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Heard tale today of a girl trading in an '02 A4 against a new car. She bought the car with 34k on it (from a Dublin dealer), added 40k of her own and went to trade in her 74k, 6 year old car. Dealer did a check and discovered that in 2005, when it was imported, the car had 140k miles on it!

Needless to say, she was gutted to discover it had more than twice the mileage she thought, and probably more so that the dealer wouldn't touch it.

A few thoughts crossed my mind:

I had to ask how fresh a 180k mile A4 looks and apparently not too bad. Giveaways were the usual, shiny steering wheel and gearknob and worn upholstery, but otherwise tight and clean.

The dealer is a swine of the highest order. We all know it goes on but a 100k haircut is surely taking the wee wee!

If you're looking at anything ex-UK, the money you spend on as many HPI checks as it takes, phone calls to verify service histories etc. could pale in comparison to the worst case scenario. Assuming she wants to be honest, and get's no joy from the dealer that sold the car, this poor girl is pretty much stuck with this lemon.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's possible the dealer is pulling a fast one...

He's saying she bought a 3yo car with 140k?????

Edit: did she do her own HPI check to confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

SteveC wrote: »
    He's saying she bought a 3yo car with 140k?????

High, but not unlikely let alone impossible. During my hitch hiking years in the 80s, I came across car drivers who did nearly 100k miles per year. In a country a lot smaller than the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

unkel wrote: »
    High, but not unlikely let alone impossible. During my hitch hiking years in the 80s, I came across car drivers who did nearly 100k miles per year. In a country a lot smaller than the UK.
    I agree - it would be hard not to notice the signs of 100k miles (even motorway miles) on a car with 34K though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tony71187

My brother got caught for 40,000 miles on a lexus is200. Didn realise until the timing chain broke. Damaged all the valves and everything.
    Cost 3,500 euro to rebuild the engine. He eventually got over compensated as he still had the details of the last owner who did the tampering .It had been brought in from England also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When i was shopping around for a UK car a few weeks ago. One of the BMW's i was looking at advertised at 72,000 miles. Looked immaculate inside and out. HPI check came back with 165,000miles on it! :eek: Quick sprint off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's madness, and one wouldn't believe how often it goes on. And they are getting more cheeky by the day giving bigger mileage cuts. It's sad really. I'd say anything in the UK with high mileage and a small price would sell very easy for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Belive it!
    If you haven't imported the car yourself chances are its clocked or worse.
    Looking at a mercede sprinter last year on a dealers forecourt with uk plates.
    It had 79k miles on it but looked a bit tatty. They missed 1 small sticker with the uk dealerships name.
    Phoned it and low and behold they last time they seriviced it was 6 months ago at 240K.
    I knew the Irish dealer but he just shugged his shoulders.
    The money and I left the forecourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Recently traded a car, and to get it up online i took picture of it mid-valet with no number plates. The amount of calls i got asking was it English was un real. Seems alot of people are very wary of what they buy, then others heads take over and fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

milltown wrote: »
    If you're looking at anything ex-UK, the money you spend on as many HPI checks as it takes, phone calls to verify service histories etc. could pale in comparison to the worst case scenario. Assuming she wants to be honest, and get's no joy from the dealer that sold the car, this poor girl is pretty much stuck with this lemon.

Anyone buying a UK car from a dealer needs to be very careful as in alot of cases they are clocked. I think people have let their guard down to some extent with digital speedos and are under the impression they are impossible to clock when I would say they are actually much simpler than the older style to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

These days I wouldn't believe a speedo on its own. You probably never could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement