Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1994 Mercedes E220 Cabriolet Automatic problem

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

My Merc is a bit below par at the moment, perhaps due to the weather?

I normally drive it at weekends only and it'ds stored in the driveway.

It starts first time every time, however in P the idle will dip dow to sub 500 revs and raise again to the 700/750 rev mark, then dip down again.

On putting it to D it will continue it's rev up down cycle but every so often the engine stops.

It happened the first time last week one morning after a lot of rain the previous night, so I put it down to that.

However it's happening regularly now.

I dropped it down to my local garage today and they tweeked the idle up to about 1000 revs but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I could be many things so best is to check the fault codes. It should be possible to read diagnostic codes on your car with a simple reader consisting of a LED, a push button, some wire and three banana plugs.

I had problems with airflow meter last summer on a '93 resulting in unsteady idle and engine stalling from time to time. Funnily enough the E220 engine runs ok with no A/F meter, so you can disconnect the round plug leading to the meter, start the engine, and see if it drives ok after that (you can expect a bit worse performance with no meter attached).

Mine was complaining about "low engine idle threshold reached", "airflow meter", and "wrong mixture" when with the broken meter.

If it sounds like it's missing (not running on all cylinders) when the revs dip, problem could be e.g. wiring fault. Mercs in this age group suffer from flaky insulation syndrome in main engine wiring loom.

As I said, read the codes to see if they help to pinpoint the culprit.

Advertisement