Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on LC please

Options
  • 16-08-2008 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have two questions.
    Just a quick question here.I'm going into sixth year now.
    I thought I worked hard over fifth year.On average I would have put in 2 and a half hrs into homework and study every weeknight(combined time).Yesterday,Looking back over the material we have covered. . . a large proportion of it seemed to have gone out of my head. . . Did this happen to anyone else as they went into their LC year.Was the stuff easily revised?

Another more serious question,what stable jobs are out there for people going into college next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm going into 6th year too and I panicked a bit when I looked at my biology book and some of the stuff was as if I' never seen it before. Don't worry though, you seem to have studied hard and if you learned it once then it's there in your head, you just need to bring it to the front of your mind that's all, and you'll have plenty of time for that during 6th year. It definitely wont be as hard as learning it the first time round, you'll just be refreshing you memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Take it easy!! You will be doing loads of revision in your final year and things will start connecting as you do this. You do not need to know everything either, its not just about what you know in your exams but how you answer the questions. You shouldn't be stressing about exams at the moment even though its nice to see that you take them seriously. Enjoy the rest of your time off because you've a long year ahead!! And good luck when the time comes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Valde

And look at the amount of people who did nothing throught out both years till the pre's and do fine, really it's down to studying early in the year and pacing yourself, thats what I've learned from doing the LC and what I'll be doing this year start early and go over everything properly instead of the day before the exam and trying to cram everything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

same here mate -_- i got such a :eek: when i openned my business book.lol, :o

but once i had this conversation with my home ec teacher..
    we were there whats the point in learning, we gonna forget it soon anyways.we better just wait for this time next year and we cud actually remember what we ve learned..

but she was but just keep this inmind, the stuff you have learned will be kept somewhere in ur mind ( eventho u mite think it went tho) which means it will comes back to you as soon as you do revision...in order words if you actually did study for them, they will come back to you quicker...i am not good at explain things..lol...

but yea, as you said you have worked hard thu 5yr, then if the case i wudnt be worried about it at all.;)

good luck ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jules90'

GA361 wrote: »
    I have two questions.
    Just a quick question here.I'm going into sixth year now.
    I thought I worked hard over fifth year.On average I would have put in 2 and a half hrs into homework and study every weeknight(combined time).Yesterday,Looking back over the material we have covered. . . a large proportion of it seemed to have gone out of my head. . . Did this happen to anyone else as they went into their LC year.Was the stuff easily revised?

Another more serious question,what stable jobs are out there for people going into college next year?

RELAX!!! by the end of the year everything will have been drummed into your head again and again. it's really weird, at some stage things just click in your mind. study the papers well, you can often spot patterns, especially in biology!! don't rely on them completely tho, try your hardest to cover all the basics and build from that.

GOOD LUCK :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

The only thing i did in fifth year was attend class.
    once you get back into the swing of school you remember it all but in sixth and fifth year in total i had 5 maths teachers and i missed out on a load of work but i still passed it.

Nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

GA361 wrote: »
    Yesterday,Looking back over the material we have covered. . . a large proportion of it seemed to have gone out of my head. . . Did this happen to anyone else as they went into their LC year.Was the stuff easily revised?

Yes and Yes.

After the long summer, of course there'll be parts of each subject you'll have forgotten. But since you've covered that material well in 5th Year it is lodged itself somewhere in your brain. It's just a matter of re-summoning it.

When you start revising (and there'll be lots of revision in 6th year) it should all start coming back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr. Blah

Yes. Stuff will be forgotten but you are already at an advantage. You have said that you studied in 5th year so don't worry it will come back. Just relax. Panicing won't help anyone :p As long as you get right back into studying everything should be fine. And I mean it. Start studying straight away.
    So my main advice out of everything is get on top of your studies the second you start because you'll be surprised how fast the year will actually go (And you won't usually go over anything again until after the mocks so help yourself by revising the courses at home because the teachers don't often have the time to go back over stuff during classtime until later into 6th year)

But all that said. Take it easy. 6th year sounds horrible but it really isn't bad at all. It's the hype around it all that's the worst. Have a good year and just keep thinking about all the things you can do once it's over! :D:D:D

Advertisement