Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rating jump

• 16-08-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭

HI Guys,

Can anyone tell me if humidity increases the power rating of an ASG. I have a rifle shooting 280-300 on a warm, dry day & over 330 on a wet, cold day. Is this the norm?

Are there any other factors that may cause this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

its usually reading higher in the warm suny weather., are ya chrono'ing indoors? your not supposed to use them in direct sunlight either.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

It's a bit odd that alright, i've been meaning to look into this more, at the first gathering event we got some really strange readings from some AEGs which were known to chrono well below or at 1 Joule in Dublin and chono'd over in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

By day it was 280-300 warm-dry,
    by night 330+ wet-cold.

Not using chrono indoors, out in the wilderness.
    I'm stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Chrono'ing indoors with balanced light would be the main thing.
    Humidity effects the density of air which, in turn, has a direct influence on the amount of power put through an aeg's piston due to the increase in pressure within the compression cylinder before the spring even releases. It wouldn't account for much, but it might account for enough to put it marginally over on a humid day.
    The principle of "wet shot" is used in a lot of things, most notably in NOs systems in cars. Denser air, ie air with a higher water vapour content, doesn't compress as much as dry, light air due to the higher H2O presence (liquids don't compress, gasses compress back to liquids). Because it doesn't compress as much, more air than normal is forced out of the air nozzle at a slightly higher rate, rather than the air compressing more and being released at a slower rate over a longer period of time (we're talking millisecond differences here). You may also suffer a marginally reduced rate of fire in these environments too (nothing you'd notice without a chrono though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Also depends on the chrono used, each one will give a different reading, I have a TM M16VN that Chronoed with my Mad Bull at 279-282, and chronoed at the Gathering 2, at 300-308?, Big diff??
    also have tried different chronos, with different results on the same aeg.

Im sticking to the Mad Bull as it seems to be more consistent than others.
    And yea keep it out of any direct light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Thanks guys.

MAD Ozzie wrote: »
    Also depends on the chrono used, each one will give a different reading, I have a TM M16VN that Chronoed with my Mad Bull at 279-282, and chronoed at the Gathering 2, at 300-308?, Big diff??

Everyone's was doing that, it seems more to do with the conditions. People were getting readings of about 300-305 on Guarders, Madbulls and Xcortechs here and then getting 330-340 over there during the events. I blame the weather for it rather than the chrono. Chrono technology is fairly standard across the board. The only differences come when you want extra features beyond speed-count. Generally any discrepancies you get between them won't be much more than a couple of fps.

Chrono's work using a pair of light-gates to measure the bb's speed over a set distance. If the light on one side of the chrono is stronger, or shining more directly into it, than the other side, you will get an altered reading. I've played around with this and managed to get up to about 45fps difference to the "control" test of the same rifle in perfect conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MAD Ozzie View Post

Everyone's was doing that, it seems more to do with the conditions. People

=snip=

played around with this and managed to get up to about 45fps difference to the "control" test of the same rifle in perfect conditions.

have to agree i think that had more to do with the conditions, i get consistent results when testing indoor at home in a controlled environment, start taking it outdoors, start chronoing in different environments each week and you do start to see inconsistency,

there could be a reason for that, you are using it at the site every time in the same conditions, the environment conditions are fairly set and consistent, i and come on your badbull has had its blond moments :)

From what i;ve raid the 3 main types that have been mentioned hear ( Guarders, Madbulls and Xcortechs ) are all very consistant with controlled conditions, and accurate with only a very small amount of deviation, know if the conditions change from week to week your going to experience changes, would be interesting to test different chronos in different conditions.

Say 3 tests one indoors one wet outdoor and one sunny outdoors, could add more just examples at the moment, use the same aeg same bbs each time and see what happens, i'm do all my testing at home under artificial light with the humidity and temperature with limited fluctuation, and find this to be constant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I'd say the air density could account for this. Cold air can make a noticeable difference.

My youngest brother used to own a Volvo (V70R?) a couple of years ago. Looked like a grey steel box on wheels, completely unremarkable except for the 17" seven-spoke wheels. Until you put your foot down... Went like a bullet in normal conditions. On a cold frosty morning it went like a greased bullet with lightning up its arse. :D

HammeR of ThoR indeed. Used by 1/2 the police forces in Europe for motorway patrol. They said nothing could get away from it.

So, yes, it could be the density.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Dex ye may have it, that sounds very plausible.

• Advertisement

It's simple physics but density/pressure variations can be a git because gasses in our atmosphere are in constant flux, so there is no perfect standard. Short of actually having controlled chronoing at set temperatures, humidty levels, air densities, barometric pressures and, consequently, altitudes relative to sea level (yeah, it is that finnicky), you'll never actually get identical results from one site chrono to the next. And that's not even taking into account the operational fluctuations of the AEG from one shot to the next.

Advertisement