Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science or Journalism?

Options
  • 16-08-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Well, the CAO offers are out monday and was wondering, what course would be better to do?

I have already got accepted into Ballyfermot for a PLC in journalism and I also have more than enough points for Computer science in IT Tallaght...ive heard computer science is VERY math orientated but I think I have a general love for computing and could see myself enjoying the course although i only scraped a pass at ordinary level maths...but with journalism I just always found English an easy subject and enjoy writing...but I just dont like the sound of a PLC course!

any tips from anyone who has done either of these courses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm currently doing a masters in computer science.

Yes, there is a bit of maths, but it's taught different than in school. For example, in school they don't really teach you any theory. In college they teach you all the theory, so you really understand why you are doing something. This means you never have to learn off any formulas as you're able to work them out because you understand the theory.

Computer science offers good employment prospects and it's a very flexible area - there are all kinds of jobs in the computer science field: tech support, desktop support, system administration, network engineer, quality assurance, automation engineer, developer, web developer, dba, product manager, business analyst, etc.

Journalism: lots of people do journalism, but hardly any become journalists. It's one of those fluffy areas where luck and "who you know" comes into play.

So my advice to you is if you're 50/50 go for computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

My friend studied journalism and regrets it to this day... It's a hit and miss course, IT is safer but at the end of the day do what you think is best for you

Advertisement