Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiki book alternatives publishing code,ideas and blog.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Are you looking for a central repository for your company code doc and stuff?
    if so, my 2 ¢ :

I installed a wiki (mediaWiki, same as the wiki the site you posted use) for my company as a knowledge base/code doc site.
    It was easy enough to do.

we do .net dev and visual studio outputs an xml file containing all the comments we write describing each function in the dll.
    At the moment im working on a command line app that will take all the comments from the xmls and insert/update articles in the wiki ,by writing to the mysql db.
    The idea is to have that side of it completely automated so we only comment our functions as usual and then people on other projects can check out function info without having to pull down source/etc.
    We are also planning something similar with our ddd files as we keep them well commented aswell.

You could install your own wiki for your company is ye have an old box lying around or have php running on a server or even a virtual server?
    that way you could make sure backups/etc are done properly.

apologies if this is nothing like what you were looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Hi thetubes,

Thanks for taking your time to look at my question.
    It's more of a personal site than a company intranet one.I was just curious to see what the people here use to publish their code and ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

ok, who are you looking to share your code with?
    is it some open source project you want to document?
    are you writing dev articles/tutorials?

would something like a blog work for you?
    if its a big site you could consider a cms like joomla? it has news/blog/article capabilities.

maybe if you give more info people might come up with more sugestions?

what kind of code/ideas do you want to share?

you could always go to feedback and ask for your own forum on boards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Hi tubes.

I'm looking for something thats a cross between a blog and a wiki.It's mainly to share my ideas and programs with other people.

Advertisement