Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you talk to young children?

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:06am

I have no idea how, and it makes me uncomfortable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok What do you mean by young ?
    And what do you mean by talk to, as in giving instructions or as in having a conversation with them ?
    I would say that the first thing to do is to listen to them, actively listen to them and respond.

They don't speak, they stare with beady eyes.
    They are todders.
    I want to draw conversation out of them by engaging them with topics they are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I want to draw conversation out of them by engaging them with topics they are interested in.

How about eating and taken dumps as an ice breaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Moonbaby wrote: »
    They don't speak, they stare with beady eyes.
    They are todders.

I would suggest that firstly you get down to thier level by sitting on the floor and playing with them, building blocks or lego or pushing toy cars around or drawing with crayons. Take part in what they are doing and wait for them to chat to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

Moonbaby, it sounds like these are not your own children, so why are you putting yourself in this situation if it makes you so uncomfortable?
    Just be normal. Talk to them like you would an adult. Think of them as little people - that is what they are and trust me they have great understanding of what you say.

And yes, anything to do with poop or other bodily functions, napping and eating is a great ice breaker. :p

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips.

It is not that I don't like children Mona, I just haven't ever really been around them.
    I'll get over being uncomfortable.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I used to be like that till I had my own. I just found it hard to relate to em.:)

But really its much easier than talking to adults cos you can be silly. If you can talk about any of their favourite cartoons youll be on a winner. Just be interested in what they are doing, wearing, or where theyve been. Dont think of them as an alternate species or something, just chat. As Thaed says, get down on their level if you can, and ask them what their at, if theyre doing something, but if theyre back to the wall, beady eyed and shy, asking them to help you with something can be an icebreaker. You can be doing something really interesting and invite them to help. But if youve got a really shy child, let them move into your space rather than vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Like any person, you have to find out what interests them. Ask their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Like a couple of people have said before, getting down to their level is most important. You can do this by sitting on the floor or leaning in towards them when they are speaking to you..

Just chat about Cartoons or games!! and compliment their clothes etc. I find singing a nursey rhyme works a treat, just sing it softly to yourself and you'll see the toddler slowly but surely getting closer to you, with a mind full of curiosity..

Soon enough you won't be able to leave the room without them enquiring where your off to...

If your worried about what type of questions to ask, stick to "what did you do today" or "Is Dora the Explorer your favourite" things like that, You'll soon learn how comprehensive the toddlers conversation skills are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

under a year and a half it really doesnt matter what you say its how you say it. Facial expression is best. Over this age talk about anything, kids love to talk about themselves so ask them a question and get them to tell you ALL about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

With young toddlers, just talk away to them, use big smiles, expansive gestures and exaggerated facial expressions and watch their body language rather than listen for a response. Just make eye contact and talk to them, ask them about their clothes, how they are, what they've done today etc. Even just giving them a wink and a smile while chatting to the adults can keep a toddler happy and interested in you.

What's your goal, to entertain them or just to make contact with them?

Advertisement