Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brain Picking

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any cheap free ways to promote an event? Obviously you might need more details but am I expecting too much for people to share their sekretz? If you have a way that you dont want to share with the masses but you think good old 6th might just deserve then a pm is good to ;)

So basically, how do you let loads of people know about what you've got without breaking the bank? Its a first time event so we're starting from scratch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Facebook 'event'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Word of mouth, its free!

Press release to Radio Stations and newspapers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

6th wrote: »
    Obviously you might need more details
    PR
    Gorilla Marketing
    Viral Techniques
    cheapest and can be very effective depending on the event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Spam, it works doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Put up an anouncement up on Boards at the top of every page!
    well, your a Mod, you could try..

or: people handing out leaflets
    work your connections in newspapers and radio

depends on the kind of event really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

A controversy of some kind works well - free air time and column inches ;):D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Discovering bigfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Discovering bigfoot.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

bren2002 wrote: »
    Facebook 'event'

Facebook has never appealed to me but I didnt know you could post Events pages .. I'll be looking at that this weekend, cheers.
    Namesco wrote: »
    Word of mouth, its free!

Press release to Radio Stations and newspapers

Word of mouth is free and I like free but even my mouth isnt big enough to spread this as far as I want.

I have drop out emails to radio stations and have had a couple odf pieces in The Star but we really need alot more. The articles we got out there didnt have the focus they were meant to have.
    PR
    Gorilla Marketing
    Viral Techniques
    cheapest and can be very effective depending on the event

I will Google each of those phrases later :D
    Namesco wrote: »
    Spam, it works doesn't it?

Yes it does, and I'm not afraid to do it ... not on Boards though :)

I even took to renaming my phone to "Jervis" while having lunch in Jervis Street and sending out a small gif with info to anyone who had their bluetooth on .... its very time consuming doing it one at a time and most people decline the file. I've done that on the bus and the Luas too.
    KatCookie wrote: »
    Put up an anouncement up on Boards at the top of every page!
    well, your a Mod, you could try..

or: people handing out leaflets
    work your connections in newspapers and radio

depends on the kind of event really

I wish I had the power! We are looking at banner ads for the likes of Boards though.

We will be handing out postcards in the next two weeks and doing a survey on the subject matter of the event (see sig).

The Radio and press people we know have been very good, we just have to really push it in the next while.
    coolcon wrote: »
    A controversy of some kind works well - free air time and column inches ;):D.

Any suggestions? :D
    Discovering bigfoot.

Discovering him taking part in a sex act behind the Gorge would rock then I would have the controvercy sorted.
    Mark200 wrote: »
    :D

Just because I quoted everyone else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

bren2002 wrote: »
    Facebook 'event'

This was a great idea, been adding people all day so hopefully hits will go up. Cheers.

Anyone else got any pearls?

• Advertisement
Advertisement