Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing bumpy lawn

Options
  • 16-08-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Recently employed a landscaper to level lawn and spread good quality top soil around newly built house.
    Landscaper mixed sub soil with top soil and left lawn uneven and bumpy.
    I will have to get digger in to move earth from high points to low points.
    I then plan to till or rotovate soil before spreading good quality top soil again.
    I plan to use rake and spread top soil over area by hand, while seeding.

My problem is I cannot hire a tiller and can only get rotovators that are about 18 inches wide. Will this give me a good enough finish for me to then sprread my top soil by raking or should I be patient and get a tiller.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Recently employed a landscaper to level lawn and spread good quality top soil around newly built house.
    Landscaper mixed sub soil with top soil and left lawn uneven and bumpy.
    I will have to get digger in to move earth from high points to low points.
    I then plan to till or rotovate soil before spreading good quality top soil again.
    I plan to use rake and spread top soil over area by hand, while seeding.

My problem is I cannot hire a tiller and can only get rotovators that are about 18 inches wide. Will this give me a good enough finish for me to then sprread my top soil by raking or should I be patient and get a tiller.

How uneven is the area if you feel you need to get the digger in? Unless the levels are way out a digger is going to destroy any hope of utilising the prevailing levels. Unless it's really bad, shouldn't require that the whole area is re-done. For example what is the variance in levels and what is the condition of the area now ie is it in grass?

You can rectify some uneveness by cut and fill and raking in a mix topsoil/lawnsand, use back edge of rake to get a general level and aim in stages to get overall consistent level with a garden roller.

If the lawn area is poorly, you could spray/remove lawn with sod cutter and address undulations/uneveness of ground before re-seeding/re-sodding. Applying and rolling more than 30mm of topsoil on lawn will most likely kill that area of grass!

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

What I have noticed after 10 years of building. If ya have a ole lad who has been driving tracks machines all his life , there is rarely a problem. If its a young guy driving. He 99% of the time he has to redo part of the garden over levels

Advertisement