Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever been through a checkpoint in inner-city galway

Options
  • 16-08-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

startin drivin soon round galway, like inner-city out to parkmore for work so on the roads round 8:30 to 9 and 5 to 5:30..

has anyone ever been through a checkpoint cause i'm gonna be on my learners permit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

turf wrote: »
    startin drivin soon round galway, like inner-city out to parkmore for work so on the roads round 8:30 to 9 and 5 to 5:30..

has anyone ever been through a checkpoint cause i'm gonna be on my learners permit?

Yes i have been through a few, they are fairly infrequent but they can pop up anywhere anytime.

Your also asking about breaking the law and i would presume that if you are driving without a qualified driver your also not covered by your insurance?

If that is the case use the bus, otherwise your an idiot that doesn't deserve a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Not allowed to drive ... Don't drive !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

4 years ago when i was 17, 17 yr olds were drivin about grand on their own.. now im 2 1/2 weeks from 21 and i cant. pretty annoyin. can i drive on my own before the 6 month wait for full drivin test?/

padi89 wrote: »
    i would presume that if you are driving without a qualified driver your also not covered by your insurance?

i checked, you're still covered even tho its illegal.. no point arguin that you're not covered cause i'll link you.

so realistically in six months of drivin out to the race course, will i go through a checkpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've seen regular checkpoints where you leave the Ballybane Road to go onto the Monevea Road. Basically as you drive into Ballybrit.

It's a very sharp and blind turn so they setup checkpoints just after this turn.
    Plus it's not possible for motorists to turn around so if you come onto one of these you will be checked.

Used to remember the travellors having their vans searched. Usually filled with crates of soft drinks and crisps and chocolate. Probably off to flog it at some fair or point-to-point
    4 years ago when i was 17, 17 yr olds were drivin about grand on their own.. now im 2 1/2 weeks from 21 and i cant. pretty annoyin./

The 17 years olds weren't supposed to driving on their own either, nothing has changed only the enforcement.And yes, the world is unfair, get used to it

You're going going to be driving between 08:30 and 09:00 and then 17:00 and 17:30? Right out of and into the city centre in rush hour traffic.
    Are you mad, don't you know the traffic? You'd cycle it faster, you'd nearly walk it faster. Maybe something to consider. If I were you, I'd get a motorcycle or even a scooter. Scooters are great and cheap to run, you'll beat the traffic nay bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

4 years ago when i was 17, 17 yr olds were drivin about grand on their own.. now im 2 1/2 weeks from 21 and i cant. pretty annoyin. can i drive on my own before the 6 month wait for full drivin test?/

As mentioned above you weren't supposed to be driving on your own when you were 17, nothing has changed except the enforcement. You have had four years to get your full license and you have been on notice for over a year that the Gardai would be enforcing the law - get over it.

It is only legal for you to drive if you have a fully licensed driver, who has their license for not less than two years, beside you. This person has to be insured on your car. The rationale being that if you are unable or incapable to continue driving he will be in a position to take control of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

i checked, you're still covered even tho its illegal.. no point arguin that you're not covered cause i'll link you.

so realistically in six months of drivin out to the race course, will i go through a checkpoint?

:confused:Bizarre:confused: Do put up the link, im not saying i don't believe you but i got to see this one.How is this supposed to work out if you are involved in an accident?Your covered to be driving the vehicle even though it's illegal for you to be doing so?

Anyhoo...4 years and you never applied for your test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

There's a pretty frequent bus to the Parkmore Industrial Estate. May be a better option. Biking is a very good option if you've got the proper clothing.

Also, I'd say a pretty high % of the residents of the docks (and Dun Aengus in particular) are working professionals who work out that direction. You may be able to find a carpool, or even find people who will carpool with you that have the requisite 2 years+ drivers license so you'd be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I wouldn't do it, they're often at the roundabout there & it's not worth it, for €1,000 fine, double without your L-plates. Take the bus

padi89 wrote: »
    :confused:Bizarre:confused: Do put up the link, im not saying i don't believe you but i got to see this one.How is this supposed to work out if you are involved in an accident?Your covered to be driving the vehicle even though it's illegal for you to be doing so?

Anyhoo...4 years and you never applied for your test?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/learners-who-drive-alone-still-insured-1419956.html

yea its stupid waitin till now.. went to college and never got round to it. didn't think i'd want to drive for years but got this job outside city and gettin soaked every mornin doesn't work if you're workin in an office all day.

btw, i'll be livin terryland side more than likely now so no traffic problems..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'd say go for it if you've 2k to spare, otherwise abide by the law.

I think you will be ok op! A friend of mine asked two different guards whats the story with enforcement and both said he would be sound driving alone that they are not really enforcing the new rules, though iirc they said to make sure the L plates are up.

well the 2 grand thing is worth the risk in my opinion.

you think I should keep L plates up? i'd have thought otherwise...

you think I should keep L plates up? i'd have thought otherwise...

I would have thought the same and when i was my 1st provisional a few years back i never used L plates but I almost sure my friend was told they dont look kindly on people not having the L plates up to try and fool them. I will have to ask him later to be sure as its a few weeks back we were talking about it.

Personally if I was on a learner permit I wouldnt be too worried about driving.

well i'm a good driver thanks my parents teachin me at 11 and alot of drivin around country roads when i was 15 till i got caught by them..

i'd say i'll take the risk of gettin caught cause chances of checkpoint at 10 to 9 in the mornin is slim id say..

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I'd be very surprised if ya got stopped at a checkpoint in rush hour, I've been driving across town for more than two years every day during rush hour and have yet to see a check point. If I was you I'd drive without a bother.

gd1987 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if ya got stopped at a checkpoint in rush hour, I've been driving across town for more than two years every day during rush hour and have yet to see a check point. If I was you I'd drive without a bother.

that's my mind made up rite there..

so i passed my theory test there a few hours ago, go in nd get my permit next next week.. do i just insure nd tax a car then and i'm on the road?

do i just insure nd tax a car then and i'm on the road?

Yeah when you get the permit get your tax and insurance sorted and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

i just insure nd tax a car then and i'm on the road?

So I take it you have never driven on a public road. Would you agree that it would be a good idea to get a lesson or two? Driving your parents car on country roads when you were 15 is long way from driving on the public highway.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    So I take it you have never driven on a public road. Would you agree that it would be a good idea to get a lesson or two? Driving your parents car on country roads when you were 15 is long way from driving on the public highway.

Good point a lesson or two would do no harm although I learned to drive on the farm etc when I was a young lad and had no trouble driving on the road when I turned 17. Also apply for your test asap as you will have more comfort driving around with the full licence and you will get a refund on your insurance as soon as you ring them up and tell them you have the full licence.

• Advertisement

well when i said country roads, i under exagerated.. if thats a phrase. drove through towns like clones and monaghan and proper national roads in between. i will be gettin a lesson or two by the way tho, get back into the swing of things..

another note, is bestquote.ie as good as it seems? got a quote for 1450 from a sligo broker when quinn was nearly 2k.. is that realistic?

you will get a refund on your insurance as soon as you ring them up and tell them you have the full licence.

cool, was wonderin bout that actually :D

another note, is bestquote.ie as good as it seems? got a quote for 1450 from a sligo broker when quinn was nearly 2k.. is that realistic?

To be honest I have no experience with bestquote but if all the details you have given them are correct then the quote should be correct. That sounds like a decent quote actually considering you dont have the full licence or any no claims bonus. Ive been with quinn since I was 17(23 now) as they were always a good bit cheaper than the others so far anyway

well i checked motors forum nd they seem to think its legit.. so if i get that insurance, i'm good. if you see an ibiza salsa wit nice wheels, thats me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Met one along bohermore before the roundabout.
    Dunno about everyone else but I need my car for work so I have option but to drive around with L plates up. Got a letter in the post the other day though and sorting a date for it so only another 8 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

BREAKIN DA LAW! BREAKING DA LAW!

Ah let he who has never sinned cast the first stone, i'm sure plenty of you fcukers were drinkin before ye were 18 - it's illegal!

To the OP, to answer your question, yes, i've seen plenty of checkpoints around the inner city before, and yes from time to time i've been asked for license (I think it was more of an excuse to ask you a question to get a smell of your breath though, this was before the random drink driving testing thingy came in). I have a full license so they used to pretty much just glance at it, check insurance/tax/nct and wave ya on.

It's an akward (sp?) situation for you provo license holders

have u seen them during rush hour tho? its all i'm worried about... 2 grand is a hefty fine but worth the risk cause i'll only be doin in for 6 months hopefully if i pass my full test

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, if you think it's worth the fines/repercussions the go ahead. My advice is, as always, don't break the law.

I'll be on the lookout for a 96 turquoise Ibiza salsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

micmclo wrote: »
    I've seen regular checkpoints where you leave the Ballybane Road to go onto the Monevea Road. Basically as you drive into Ballybrit.

It's a very sharp and blind turn so they setup checkpoints just after this turn.
    Plus it's not possible for motorists to turn around so if you come onto one of these you will be checked.

Used to remember the travellors having their vans searched. Usually filled with crates of soft drinks and crisps and chocolate. Probably off to flog it at some fair or point-to-point

The 17 years olds weren't supposed to driving on their own either, nothing has changed only the enforcement.And yes, the world is unfair, get used to it

You're going going to be driving between 08:30 and 09:00 and then 17:00 and 17:30? Right out of and into the city centre in rush hour traffic.
    Are you mad, don't you know the traffic? You'd cycle it faster, you'd nearly walk it faster. Maybe something to consider. If I were you, I'd get a motorcycle or even a scooter. Scooters are great and cheap to run, you'll beat the traffic nay bother

Attitudes on this thread are unbelievable. No wonder driving in galway is absolutely dispicable.

For those of you condoning it how would you feel if the plank cut you off on a roundabout and you crashed into them. You would be responsible - YES YOU. And if he crashes into my bosses porsche 911 - who's going to pay for that if he's not insured?

turf: Get off the road until you get your full licence.

micmclo: And yes, the world is unfair, get used to it. :rolleyes:

Yes it certainly is to people who are on the receiving end of bad drving - Search for a recent thread here by Black Knight - Somebody came into his lane on the roundabout with lights and he hit the back of them - The woman got money off him for damage - over a grand - her fault but he hit the back of her car!

Galway is one of worst places in Ireland for bad driving - no indication, not using roundabouts correctly, driving onto roundabouts rather than stopping where the line is. I could go on. Some ridiculous attitudes in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I see your other post is where you are going to be living Dun Aneghus and above you post the type of car you have and we also know where you are going to be working.

You don't really seem to have alot of sense of you? Personally I don't want to see you driving on the same roads I drive on. Why shoudn't I report you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement