Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever been through a checkpoint in inner-city galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

ridiculous attitudes? i jus wanna get to work in the morning. that's not an attitude. if you're worried about me being a bad driver, how does fekin about galway not driving for six months and then sittin a test make me better? if i could take the test in a week, i would. i don't understand the need for a 6 month wait. nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

turf wrote: »
    ridiculous attitudes? i jus wanna get to work in the morning. that's not an attitude. if you're worried about me being a bad driver, how does fekin about galway not driving for six months and then sittin a test make me better? if i could take the test in a week, i would. i don't understand the need for a 6 month wait. nanny state.

Get public f*ckin transport?? :mad: There's nothing to stop you getting to work.

I see your other post is where you are going to be living Dun Aneghus and above you post the type of car you have and we also know where you are going to be working.

You don't really seem to have alot of sense of you? Personally I don't want to see you driving on the same roads I drive on. Why shoudn't I report you?

you shudnt report me cause i don't have a car..? or maybe this is all a big lie and i'm chillin in london..? you think guards are gonna take you're tip from an internet forum as legit..?

and since when do boards users report each other? jus think of how much of a loser act that would be.. you sound like a no-friends 30 year old.

you shudnt report me cause i don't have a car..? or maybe this is all a big lie and i'm chillin in london..? you think guards are gonna take you're tip from an internet forum as legit..?

and since when do boards users report each other? jus think of how much of a loser act that would be.. you sound like a no-friends 30 year old.

heh, look new user. Don't start trying to make this into a petty argument - stick to the points please.

You haven't been around this forum very long - I was totally surprised by the attitudes on this thread. Normally something like this is never condoned. This place isn't like being down in the pub with your mates at the weekend when it comes to matters like this usually.

I'm not going to condone your behaviour if your putting me at risk - how stupid would that be??

btw I think you have the car already. Your little spiel about relaxing in London doesn't really cut it.

i've already pm'd a mod askin for this thread to be locked. i've got my answer about checkpoints. start a new thread if ya want a discussion about learner drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

That is ferking nuts :confused:.Its obvious why the insurance companies do it though because of the high premiums on young drivers.Having said that i wouldn't have any confidence in any insurance company covering my back if it's illegal for me to be behind the wheel in the first place.

I still say your completely wrong if your going to go ahead with driving.I don't see why you cannot use public transport or even get a bike? Getting wet is a poor excuse, get a jacket,an umbrella,stand under a shelter,if your on a bike get wet gear.

i've already pm'd a mod askin for this thread to be locked. i've got my answer about checkpoints. start a new thread if ya want a discussion about learner drivers.

Do you know the rules of roundabouts and also when to indicate?

has anyone ever been through a checkpoint cause i'm gonna be on my learners permit?

If all you wanted was information on how often checkpoints pop up they why were you stupid enough to say you were doing so for an illegal reason?:rolleyes:

why does anyone have a car then padi?

if we don't need them cause of public transport.... well then it must be... cause we want one? i work a good job and i want to be able to drive at 21 as a reward to myself. that's human nature..

arriving into an office cold and wet cause of a pointless 6 month wait is a bit of a burn and i'm obviously gonna try and get around it.. but since startin this thread, i'm not so sure anymore so ye're posts have changed my mind alot. is that good enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Id advise you to check with your own insurance company as not all will cover you if your illegally driving.

Get some lessons around the city- Galway driving can be in a word - Unique!

Suffer the inconvenience of a bus- or cycling for 6 months- with any bit of luck you will pass first time but stay off the road till then- its not worth the hassle

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    If all you wanted was information on how often checkpoints pop up they why were you stupid enough to say you were doing so for an illegal reason?:rolleyes:

thread title: i miss checkpoints, are they still about anymore? :rolleyes: lol

Do you know the rules of roundabouts and also when to indicate?

yea i do.. i've been a passenger in cars for years obviously, my parents and brothers have went through the rules so many times and i've drivin around them myself grand.

thread title: i miss checkpoints, are they still about anymore? :rolleyes: lol

:confused: Did i mention anything about your thread title? When you explain your reasons for doing so that's where it all goes pear shaped,hope your decision on driving is better thought out.

it was a joke padi.. anyways, im not postin in this thread anymore. let it die.

yea i do.. i've been a passenger in cars for years obviously, my parents and brothers have went through the rules so many times and i've drivin around them myself grand.

I'd say do the public transport thing for 6 months.

Some people have had it up to their necks in the likes of Galway with people breaking every rule imaginable. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but the ones I have read make me laugh. Lads, chill the fcuk out ffs.

I'm sure that almost every provo driver drove on the roads on their own before this new enforcement came in and people used to turn a blind eye to it. What makes these drivers so much more dangerous since the enforcement came in? Infact, don't even answer that, cause i'm not getting into a heated debate about it. It's funny, i'd almost put a bet that the doo-gooders are the worst when it comes to practical driving. I'm sure they could answer every theory based question of the ROTR (Thanks to a quick Google :rolleyes:) but put them into a RWD car with an LSD on a wet day and they'd be in A&E within minutes.

OP: Basicly, it's illegal to drive on a provo without a fully licensed driver in the car with you. You know this, if you want to risk it, do so at your own peril, you're well aware of the consequences. Safe driving

And if all else fails: YORE MA :pac: :D:p

JohnCleary wrote: »
    but put them into a RWD car with an LSD on a wet day and they'd be in A&E within minutes.

Maybe you are a show off actually John :p . Unless you can think of a reason for why a driving a RWD with an LSD is in anyway remotely related to what were talking about.

You said what makes these drivers more dangerous since the enforcement came in. Why do you think the law was created initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Maybe you are a show off actually John :p . Unless you can think of a reason for why a driving a RWD with an LSD is in anyway remotely related to what were talking about.

You said what makes these drivers more dangerous since the enforcement came in. Why do you think the law was created initially?

How am I a showoff, sure did I ever claim to drive a RWD with an LSD? ;)

Liek I said i'm not getting into an online argument about it, if you want to talk about it PM me and we'll discuss it over a pint (I'll bring the chainsaw and the gas cylinder :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

Personally I also think u should take a chill pill. :o

There has always been learner drivers on the road unaccompanied. If they still want to do it whilst on a learner permit, then let them off, its a matter of personal choice. I know many people in my area with FULL licences and they're brutal drivers. No regard for other road users at all. So I guess they are putting u at risk by being on the road also??. My point here is-its not only people on learner permits who should be labeled a danger to others. I was taking a lesson the other day and only for I checked my blind spot whilst on the roundabout, this ass would have killed us, cutting in on my lane...fully licensed driver in his 40's. :mad:

Not alot of checkpoints about Galway. I got through a checkpoint last month on my second provisional so I guess they are lenient enough on the issue. No questions asked.
    U drive your car to work, do what u have to do, but keep taking the odd few lessons, I find them great.

Personally I also think u should take a chill pill. :o

There has always been learner drivers on the road unaccompanied. If they still want to do it whilst on a learner permit, then let them off, its a matter of personal choice. I know many people in my area with FULL licences and they're brutal drivers. No regard for other road users at all. So I guess they are putting u at risk by being on the road also??. My point here is-its not only people on learner permits who should be labeled a danger to others. I was taking a lesson the other day and only for I checked my blind spot whilst on the roundabout, this ass would have killed us, cutting in on my lane...fully licensed driver in his 40's. :mad:

Not alot of checkpoints about Galway. I got through a checkpoint last month on my second provisional so I guess they are lenient enough on the issue. No questions asked.
    U drive your car to work, do what u have to do, but keep taking the odd few lessons, I find them great.

Look I agree that the full license system needs reform but that's no reason for others to start breaking the rules regarding driving with a provisional. How do you know what kind of driver the op is? Do you honestly think it's ok that all these provisional drivers start using the roundabouts we use every day?

It's attitudes like this that have the roads in the state it is.

This is such a stupid thread.

• Advertisement

I hear what you're saying but its a matter of choice at the end of the day. If he decides to drive unaccompanied then let him be. I wouldn't go as far as reporting someone.

Its a never ending debate i suppose.

We all have to be aware of other road users, regardless of what kind of license they hold and how many years experience they have on the road..

I hear what you're saying but its a matter of choice at the end of the day. If he decides to drive unaccompanied then let him be. I wouldn't go as far as reporting someone.

Its a never ending debate i suppose.

We all have to be aware of other road users, regardless of what kind of license they hold and how many years experience they have on the road..

A matter of choice???? What does that mean?

"Never ending debate"
    What is there to debate :confused: Are you telling me you can argue a minorities pov in a way you can see them being let free onto our roundabouts with no education on how to use them or do many other things. When that law was passed it was a step in the right direction - do you want us to go backwards?

All accidents could not be prevented if everybody was more aware of other users.

Stop getting so heated about things. Ur not about to change peoples attitudes anytime soon.
    Its a matter of choice in the sense that if people want to drive on a learner permit then let them off, its their choice, (how many times do i have to repeat myself.....)
    Yes i agree that this new law is the only way forward and I'm all for better safety on our roads but learner drivers will continue to drive and thats the truth of it. I believe that aslong as they keep taking lessons over those few months they are on a learner permit then let them drive away as they so wish.

I read this online and how true it is too.....

Learner drivers are just one part of a bigger problem which over time has become part of our culture and our way of life. Irrespective of what rules and regulations that come into place, innocent people will continue to be killed on our roads by both learner and experienced drivers basically because they could not give a **** about anybody except them and theirs. The Road Safety Authority made a major mistake due to the fact that they did not take into account the problems such an action would have on the everyday lives of very many decent, honest and caring people who unfortunately require a car in order to conduct their daily affairs and who unfortunately are provisional license holders. Mr Byrne and Mr Brett got their licences at a time when you handed the cash over the counter and you got a licence that allowed you to drive anything short of an aeroplane. When a drunken politician and member of a political party decided to drive his vehicle down the wrong side of the N7, he was not a provisional driver, he had a full licence and still holds that licence to this day, despite the fact that he could have murdered many innocent people by his actions.

We all want to see a reduction in fatalities on our roads but we must also not forget that a government minister sanctioned the issuing of full drivers licences to those on provisional licences without them having to take the test.These people are still on the roads and these people are just a dangerous as those who want to apply for the driving test and are prepared to take that test.

its their choice
    To break the law or not. Of course it's their choice and their choice only.

As for older generations not having to pass a test when they got their licence, it is a bit unfair but it is no excuse to say that the current generation of learners shouldn't have to stick to the law and pass a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Turf, Do you really think the Garda don't read these threads? Cos I can tell you now they do, well a few of the lads I know anyway. Don't post such personal details. Why did you ask the question if you weren't prepared to tak on people's advice?

Stop getting so heated about things. Ur not about to change peoples attitudes anytime soon.
    Its a matter of choice in the sense that if people want to drive on a learner permit then let them off, its their choice, (how many times do i have to repeat myself.....)

Emmm, you repeated yourself once only above and that was to explain what your actually talking about. Please don't accuse me of not understanding what you are saying when you have not explained your point properly....you have no basis for argument/debate it would seem?
    Yes i agree that this new law is the only way forward and I'm all for better safety on our roads but learner drivers will continue to drive and thats the truth of it. I believe that aslong as they keep taking lessons over those few months they are on a learner permit then let them drive away as they so wish.

I'd like to see how quickly you would change your opinion if one of these crashed into you.
    Perhaps you are one of them actually?

Learner drivers are just one part of a bigger problem which over time has become part of our culture and our way of life. Irrespective of what rules and regulations that come into place, innocent people will continue to be killed on our roads by both learner and experienced drivers basically because they could not give a **** about anybody except them and theirs. The Road Safety Authority made a major mistake due to the fact that they did not take into account the problems such an action would have on the everyday lives of very many decent, honest and caring people who unfortunately require a car in order to conduct their daily affairs and who unfortunately are provisional license holders. Mr Byrne and Mr Brett got their licences at a time when you handed the cash over the counter and you got a licence that allowed you to drive anything short of an aeroplane. When a drunken politician and member of a political party decided to drive his vehicle down the wrong side of the N7, he was not a provisional driver, he had a full licence and still holds that licence to this day, despite the fact that he could have murdered many innocent people by his actions.

We all want to see a reduction in fatalities on our roads but we must also not forget that a government minister sanctioned the issuing of full drivers licences to those on provisional licences without them having to take the test.These people are still on the roads and these people are just a dangerous as those who want to apply for the driving test and are prepared to take that test.

I don't see how this furthers your, mine....anyones point in this thread. This people that require a provisonal licence to go about their everyday tasks? - Get a full licence - Simple.

Turf, Do you really think the Garda don't read these threads? Cos I can tell you now they do, well a few of the lads I know anyway. Don't post such personal details. Why did you ask the question if you weren't prepared to tak on people's advice?

Yeah there are actually a few guards that are members here.

I'd probably be pretty annoyed if i got hit by a learner driver ya. . . .
    But i can tell ya I was pretty damn annoyed when I was knocked off my bike by a fully licensed git four years ago. Still suffer with my back because of it. My point here-stop labeling learner drivers as incompetent drivers..Yes they have alot to learn, but I think theres just as many useless eejits on the road-driving around for years with full licenses. Are u 'one' of them???:D
    And If u want to call me 'one' of them inexperienced learners on the road, off with ya. I've just passed my test.:)

I'd probably be pretty annoyed if i got hit by a learner driver ya. . . .
    But i can tell ya I was pretty damn annoyed when I was knocked off my bike by a fully licensed git four years ago. Still suffer with my back because of it. My point here-stop labeling learner drivers as incompetent drivers..Yes they have alot to learn, but I think theres just as many useless eejits on the road-driving around for years with full licenses. Are u 'one' of them???:D
    And If u want to call me 'one' of them inexperienced learners on the road, off with ya. I've just passed my test.:)

Look your missing the point here galwaygirl08.

It's already been said the the full license system in this country needs reform and if I recall correctly you agreed.

But that's not what were talking about - were talking about provisional drivers who more than likely don't know the ropes. (or have little experience)
    I think it's non-sensical that you seem to think the issue here is with labelling a minority.

Yes - You have "just" passed your test - So it's fresh in your memory how convenient it may have been to you to drive around unaided with your provisional at a risk to the majority - ok so maybe you are a good driver - the minority you were part of wasn't though - We can't make rules for each individual person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Until someone has passed the test I feel they have not proven themselves. Granted that does not always ensure competancy but surely moreso than someone who chooses to drive illegally & has never had to jump through the hoops the rest of us have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement