Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Olympics Sexist?

• 16-08-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

I think that the Olympics is sexist. For a start there is no womens boxing, unfortunate for us as we have a world champion Katie Taylor. Women dont do the Decathlon, they do the Heptathlon, they do 100m hurdles not 110 m hurdles. They do different apparatus' in gymnastics etc..
    I believe that women are equal to men and should be able to compete in whatever events men do. What do others think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I think that the Olympics is sexist. For a start there is no womens boxing, unfortunate for us as we have a world champion Katie Taylor. Women dont do the Decathlon, they do the Heptathlon, they do 100m hurdles not 110 m hurdles. They do different apparatus' in gymnastics etc..
    I believe that women are equal to men and should be able to compete in whatever events men do. What do others think?

in the quest for true equality i would go as far as to allow the women swimmers to wear the exact same attire as there male counterparts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

irish_bob banned from Sports for 7 days. Your taking the piss at this stage and are contributing nothing to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Women are not physically the same as men what with a wider pelvis for childbirth resulting in a less muscular frame. A woman could never set the world record if competing with men in the same event. It is biologically impossible.
    Why women aren't allowed try? Meh, maybe some men are wrongly afraid that it could happen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is boxing next time round for the women in London, they are getting rid of the silly games of rounders that the Americans play to make space for it although Im not sure what else is being added to the scedule yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

simply put....no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

BrightEyes wrote: »
    Women are not physically the same as men what with a wider pelvis for childbirth resulting in a less muscular frame. A woman could never set the world record if competing with men in the same event. It is biologically impossible.
    Why women aren't allowed try? Meh, maybe some men are wrongly afraid that it could happen

Not all women are born with a typically female body. Your statement is a little too broad and a bit sexist, imho.

OP, I don't think the Olympics are sexist for their events. If anything it's sexist because of the different costumes for men and women. Like the women's volleyball bikini bs:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/slideshow/ss.76;_ylt=AusQU10ng.r3dV89Ykgxx_4azJV4#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cap%3A20050301%3Aoly%2Cphoto%2C5d51a5e2e86747319284ba2c6be85080.beijing_olympics_beach_volleyball_women_oly705%3A1

But imo the Olympics do a great job of showing women as serious athletes and competitors, as opposed to the skanky, talentless tarts that are usually on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

true equality wont exist. Men and women are not equal.
    Similarly all men are not equal. The whole point of such thing is basically to see who has the best combination of genes and training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

PillyPen wrote: »
    But imo the Olympics do a great job of showing women as serious athletes and competitors, as opposed to the skanky, talentless tarts that are usually on tv.

I agree

They do different apparatus' in gymnastics etc..

Speaking as a gymnast.. seeing men on the beam would not be good tv, it's best to be light on the beam. women would not have the same upper body strength for pommel, parallel bars and rings.

I don't think it's sexist, it's just that it's in a way got these set traditions and it's changing over time. they tried to get womens boxing into it for this olympics but they didn't so are hoping for 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭KJ_2008

irish_bob wrote: »
    in the quest for true equality i would go as far as to allow the women swimmers to wear the exact same attire as there male counterparts

:D
    Amz wrote: »
    irish_bob banned from Sports for 7 days. Your taking the piss at this stage and are contributing nothing to the forum.

:confused: Has he seriously been banned? Has humour been too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

KJ_2008 wrote: »
    :D

:confused: Has he seriously been banned? Has humour been too?

Is that you Irish bob?

• Advertisement

Is that you Irish bob?

A bit predictable, that. Nope, I'm not Irish Bob, wouldn't know him from Twink. Maybe I'm Mystic Meg, though (joined up on the 11th, Irish Bob banned today.....;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Very harsh, feel the powah!!

Do folk not have to pass their Leaving English before becoming Mods? Just wondering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

kudos to the moderator i say for banning irish bob
    i would have banned him for life , its completly our of order to make sarcastic comments about something as important as the possibility of sexism rearing its ugly head in the olympics or anywhere else for that matter

no more sexism for me thank you

ps , why is there no womens shot put in the olympics

moe_sizlak wrote: »

Don't let Valerie hear you asking that.

a79d0c8a067abc6fa1f771b92e3780ea.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    kudos to the moderator i say for banning irish bob
    i would have banned him for life , its completly our of order to make sarcastic comments about something as important as the possibility of sexism rearing its ugly head in the olympics or anywhere else for that matter

no more sexism for me thank you

He made a joke saying women should wear the same clothes as men for swimming.

How is that sexist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I thought he contributed humour to an obviously crap topic :rolleyes:

The Olympics are about as sexist as any other sporting organisation. If you're that offended why not campaign for women to compete against men. If 'women are equal to men' as you say then none of the Olympic events should be segregated. No Men's 100m or Women's 100m - just a 100m. Same goes for boxing, parallel bars, rowing, etc.

Or maybe you're over-reacting. Maybe there should be women's boxing in the Olympics - but just because there isn't doesn't make the Olympics sexist. Maybe they should do other sports that they don't do currently in the Games.

And let's look at the other side of it too. Men don't take part in synchronised swimming or rhythmic gymnastics. Is that sexist too? Or does that turnabout not fit in with the feminist agenda?

[edit]Just as well grammar isn't an Olympic sport - the thread title should be "Are the Olympics Sexist?" :p

Macros42 wrote: »
    I thought he contributed humour to an obviously crap topic :rolleyes:

Me too :)
    And let's look at the other side of it too. Men don't take part in synchronised swimming or rhythmic gymnastics.

That's not sexist, that's just sensible.

Just as well grammar isn't an Olympic sport - the thread title should be "Are the Olympics Sexist?":p
    The Olympics is about as sexist as any other sporting organisation.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dunno what you mean ... <_< >_> ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement