Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Times??

Options
  • 16-08-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

About 5 weeks ago, my niece asked me to check over a car she was really interested in.

05 Corolla 1.4 petol. Mint 43K miles . 1 owner .

car was priced at €13,950, asked the salesman for best straight cash deal , after much humming & hawing , key board bashing, & 1 or 2 dashes to his colleague he said €13K. bid him €12. no he was rock bottom had 2 other interested parties ,, no deal

My niece rang him a week later & offered €12200 much against my wishes still no dice

Last night I noticed the same car same dealer on CBG for €10950, made a few enquiries & it appears he was interviewed by the bank manager lately, with over 80 s/h cars in stock ..over €100K write off . maybe good for the buyer, but long term not good for all.

I was speaking to another guy who usually keeps 30 s/h cars & is thinking of letting them go at a loss, he is flat out with service & repairs & at the the moment he says this side of the business is propping up the sales side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

snowman707 wrote: »
    . maybe good for the buyer, but long term not good for all.

I think it is, second hand prices are becoming more in line with UK prices, they will never fall below this. The anomoly we have with prices at the moment only highlights such a balls that VRT is, the motor industry long being supporters of it have now been hit badly and they only have themselves to blame for trying to control the flow of second hand cars into the country with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johndnn99

yeah. prices have definitely come down in a big way also some big dealers who refused to try and trade out of difficulty by dropping prices have gone bust

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The anomoly we have with prices at the moment only highlights such a balls that VRT is, the motor industry long being supporters of it have now been hit badly and they only have themselves to blame for trying to control the flow of second hand cars into the country with it.

Is this the same motor industry that has campaigned for years for its reduction/abolition? Or the motor industry that has asked repeatedly for at least a VRT rebate on S/h cars so they could be exported ? What advantage can you see the Motor industry has in supporting VRT and how can VRT control the flow of second hand cars into the country?

The main reasons UK imports are cheaper is due to the high levels of residual VRT and VAT in Irish used vehicles, the favorable exchange rate at the moment and the higher (ie more realistic) costs to trade up in the UK market.

Advertisement